My very first palm pillar!!! A DUD!!!!

suzanneg

okay here is my pillar after several burnings! okay back to the drawing board! :laugh2: I guess I need to wick up to a 12!!!! Thank God I have those!!!!! It sure did look so promising!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kept on tunnelling!!!!!!!!!!:cry2:

post-7846-139458430867_thumb.jpg

Suzanne,

I burned my first palm container today and it burned the same way, but under the top "shell" it was almost a full mp on the first burn...just not sure the shell will disappear with subsequent burns??? This wax burns weird! I'm not so sure that yours isn't doing the same thing?

Yes, palm wax does not burn like paraffin or soy. It makes a shell. If one continues to burn a palm pillar with a full melt pool inside the shell, it will usually blow out (leak suddenly and effusively). Personally, I LIKE the shells and delibrately wick some pillars to leave a shell so people can burn it out, then use a tealight in it after that. However, some folks like to see the candle use all the wax as fuel, so I wick some like that, too. If the candle is leaving that much of a shell, and you do not want a shell, then wick up. But if you like it, just keep rotating it so that it burns & tunnels straight down. Then it's tea light time!:yay:

I forgot to ask - how is the hot throw?

Hi Stella, The hot throw was good! I am thinking of buying one of those gadgets that you put in the mold first then pour the wax and it leaves an indentation for the tealight! I can't remember who sells those, I think it was WSP or C&S. Will have to go on a search! :grin2: I want to do the embossing thing on the outside and if I know my customers like I do, they would not burn it! but if they had an alterantive then I could make tealights for them as well and sell them too seperately! :grin2:

Suzanne,

I burned my first palm container today and it burned the same way, but under the top "shell" it was almost a full mp on the first burn...just not sure the shell will disappear with subsequent burns??? This wax burns weird! I'm not so sure that yours isn't doing the same thing?

KK I use 2 wicks in my containers that are at least 3 inches in diameter, then any less than 3 inches, I wick up!

Also, palm pillar wax and palm container wax are different! Just like other waxes! They are made for certain types of candles.

KK I use 2 wicks in my containers that are at least 3 inches in diameter, then any less than 3 inches, I wick up!

Also, palm pillar wax and palm container wax are different! Just like other waxes! They are made for certain types of candles.

Thanks for the info. :highfive: Isn't the HT incredible? I was sitting in my office (2 rooms away) and I would get a whif every so often. I have the eternal flame size flame going on with these and it's still not burning to the edge...but I'm with Stella here...even in the containers I like the look of the light coming through the shell of wax in this wax...it's very pretty. I'll try double wicking my next batch and compare to see which I like better.

Hi KK - I am with Stella on the wicking of the pillar. I have found that most pillars the 11 works real good and leaves a pretty shell - I love the shell. If I use more than 1 oz pp, which would be 1.25 then I usually go to the 12 csn, it seems to need it. Right now I am burning one that I used 1.25 with the 12 and it is leaving a great shell. I also like to underwick pillars a little because some people are power burners like me and don't put them out after 3-4 hours and with a larger wick at 1 oz pp they will usually blow out. Just thought this may help you also.

Elaine

The shell on the containers usually burns down with subsequent burns, or it did for me especially if you are getting a full melt pool under the shell. I need to order some more Glow wax so i can test some more. I haven't poured a pillar yet.

I am with Stella and Grama on this also. I make mine so that there is a THIN shell. I find that if I wick up I get blow outs. I like the glow that the pillar has as the candle burns down. I try to test until the pillar has burned down to the middle. There have been times where a wick didn't seem large enough but as it burned down it consumed more and worked out ok. However, based on your photo I think you might have to wick up.

hmmmmm well I threw the question out there yesterday to my customers who came in to shop and they were excited about the embossed pillars, with the tealight on top. I am gonna scent them both so my customers will get the cold throw and the hot throw (from tealight) fragrances. One lady buys all of my Fudge Brownies votives and just sets them in pretty containers all thru her house and never burns them! :laugh2: She says they smell so good eithe rway!!!! Go Figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2:

I agree on how the containers glow on the sides of the jar! Turn out the lights and it is really beautiful!!!

I have to laugh cause Mia Bella "claims" to have created this effect with their square pillar candles! man WHY didn't I find palm pillar wax 6+ years ago, and before I joined up with Mia Bella!!!!:waiting: I could be rich right now!:laugh2: