What size LX wick would compare to a HTP 105?

ok i ask because the candles ive made in an 8 ounce jj with 100% soy are burning well, good scent throw all that, just mushrooms too much. Since the lx's work so well in my votives with no mushrooming I thought I would try them in the jj's just wasnt sure what size. Right now I have a HTP 105. Thanks.

Hi,

I am a 'newbie', but just wanted to let you know. I have been testing LX 24's and LX 22's.

As far as the 24's go...run away, as quickly as possible.

I am doing mine with CB Advanced 2, in 8 oz jelly jars, 1 oz fragrance, and 1 dye chip. Now, doesn't that sound simple?

No matter what combo of color or fragrance, and I am testing several manufacturers FO's, ie: Candle Science, Nature's Gifts, Lone Star, and Brookstone , the 24's unwind, do not self trim, and are a mess. I do not know why. (Maybe this is what you call 'mushrooming'?)

The 22's drowned out after about 1 minute.

I think that I am going to try the RRD's.

If you have any success with this wick, I would love to know, and I do wish you all the luck in the world with it, just please share if you try it.

Any ideas would be sooo appreciated.

Thanks

I am doing mine with CB Advanced 2, in 8 oz jelly jars, 1 oz fragrance, and 1 dye chip. Now, doesn't that sound simple?

No matter what combo of color or fragrance, and I am testing several manufacturers FO's, ie: Candle Science, Nature's Gifts, Lone Star, and Brookstone , the 24's unwind, do not self trim, and are a mess. I do not know why. (Maybe this is what you call 'mushrooming'?)

The 22's drowned out after about 1 minute.

Something is positively wrong somewhere. Who's wicks are you using? I can tell you that the 24 is my most used wick in the CBA - I also use roughly the same FO amount and dye chips - in addition - my most used containers are 2.5" (status jars) - which I think your 8 oz jelly jars are the same diameter also correct? What CS FOs? I use some of them also.

(Actually, if you search this board you will see picks I've posted with LX wicks in CBA and in plain soy).

I've been using 24s and 26s for 2 years no with no problems like you are having. Most of my wicks of that size are from longwycks candle works.

The LX series is probably IMO one of the best container wicks out there.

You may want to check what you are trimming them with - it really sounds from what you describe that if they are splitting - and perhaps getting a "hydra" like mushroom, that what you are cutting them with is dull - what will happen is that the tip will flatten out - and when it burns - it will do what you describe. (This usually goes away on subsequent burns because you are trimming carboned wicks - not new ones).

Or else - maybe you got a bumb batch of wicks. I've also tried the 22s - they weren't big enough in CBA in 2.5" containers - but no way did they drown after a minute.

Hope you find out what the problem is - but its not LX wicks specifically.

Good luck.

I have tried almost every kind of wick and have had great luck with the LX wicks. Make sure you are trimming it with wick trimmers. Trimming with regular scissors sometimes makes the wick seperate at the top just like you describe.

So what size do you think I should try first in the lx, a 24?, do you think that sounds right? the lx 28 or 30 as first mentioned here sounds a bit too big maybe? Again its a 8 oz jj with 100% soy and no dye, just FO. I am just getting too much mushrooming with the htp 104 and 105. Thanks!

Hello Henry and Kaybee

Henry, I have been reading your posts for two months, following your lead, taking notes. YOU are the reason I chose the products I did.

Love your stuff. I even e-mailed Candle Science about using an additive to my CBA2, because I read that you were helped by using an additive.

Mike told me that I did not need it with this type.

The info you both provide is really helpful.

I bought a candle wick trimmer, when that didn't work, I would trim and smooth the wick end.

I thought about the possibility that I got a bum batch of wicks, so, I ordered more from Lone Star (which is when I ordered the wick trimmer), I originally got them from Candle Science.

I tried the Cinnamon Stick fragrance from Candle Science. I am getting a lousy throw as well, or I have a severe case of candle nose....I have been hard at work. I'm not giving up without a fight. I am going to try the Hot Apple Pie, and Christmas Cedar tomorrow. The Hot Apple Pie did very well in the EZ Soy I tried. It wasn't until I got the CBA2 that everything went steadily down hill. What a disaster! Not having any problems with votives or tealights.

My most recent disasters were with Apple Cinnamon and Pumpkin Spice from NG. Also tried Home Sweet Home, lousy throw on this one too.

I am getting, virtually, no cold throw and I have tried at least 7 fragrances.

I am dumb-founded, did gel candles for awhile, never, ever, saw anything like this.

Should I give up on this soy, and try C3? I wanted a nicer looking candle than that which I get from EZ soy.

Thank you both for your helpful suggestions.

OK, I got my best cutting sheers, reached down, trimmed 1 wick to 1/4"-nice and clean; and another candle wick to 1/8"-also a nice, clean cut.

These are the 8oz quilted jelly jars.

The 4 oz jellies with the rrd wicks are doing well.

Just for the record, I counted at least 6 threads with fat, black carbon heads on one of the wicks.

I will give it another go, what the heck, I've come this far.

I will let you know how it turns out.

The LX 22's, tunneled down 1/2" and went out...tried to re-light, but it did the same thing..it did not do this with the EZ Soy. I knew within seconds of lighting it that it was not right.

Thanks again.

Well, I'll be dipped.

Had to blow the 1/4" trimmed wick out, again, after an hour it was starting to do the same thing. I trimmed it to 1/8", and it stabilized. I burned for 4 hours, not a split, and it self-trimmed...who'd-a-thunk.

I think I am going to toss the wick trimmer. My Fiskar scissors did the job much better.

I will have to be sure to stress this to any potential customers, or gift recipients.

I thank you.

I am retracting that other stuff! Go ahead JoyofSoy, and give it a whirl -

oh, and make sure you trim to 1/8"!!

Laura - I've always used LX 26 wicks in 2.5" containers with regular soy, with or without BW added (CBA I use one step down - an LX 24 - the CBA being either the new version or the old). Again, its not the color that is a big contributor to mushrooming, but the FO IMO.

Fern-Marie, as you found out - never use those wick trimmers to make the initial cut, though they are great for post-burn ones. (Michaels does sell one that is sharp enough to do it though).

I haven't tried the Cinnamon Stick from CS - but I can tell you the one from WYW (BCN) is fantastic. Its very strong - and not rough. I didn't care too much for the Xmas Cedar (just a personal thing) - the Mistletoe is my favorite pine-type FOs though.

I was going to try the C3 - but then I read posts complaining about it (just recently also) so, I'm waiting for topofmurrayhill to post about it. I think he said he was going to get some to compare with CBA. Personally, I don't have a problem with the CBA and FO. I use CandleCocoon and WYW FOs and let them sit around for a while. Not as strong as regular soy a lot times, but that gets outweighed for me by how it burns and how I can work with it. Main thing is use what YOU like - not me. :) Have you tried adding 3% BW to regular soy? You'll have to wait to pour cool - and will probably have wetspots - but the look will be pretty close - before and after burning. It will reduce but not eliminate frosting. You may like that combo if you haven't tried it.

I probably also trim my wicks down to about 1/8" because as a rule, the LX wicks have tall flames. I do this both for my soy containers and my paraffin pillars. I use a wickman trimmer for that http://wickanderworks.com/candles/acc/wicktools/wickman/wt03glg.htm - but only on previously burned wicks. I just like this one because its easy to use, measures the cut, and prevents the carbon from falling in. Basically you want ANY trimmer than will CUT the wick - not SMASH it together and cut.

Thank You, Henry.

I just made a batch of the Christmas Cedar, I like it very much.

I have the Mistletoe as well, I think it smells wonderful - I'll do that one tomorrow.

I did not know that the wick trimmer was a bad idea for the initial cut...

I do now, thanks for that. I will most definitely not use this tool at the beginning. I cannot believe the damage that this thing could do. I nearly ditched my wax and wicks. Good grief! You are right, it smashed the wick, but I thought that by smoothing it out, that would solve that problem...wrong.

I have not added any additives as of yet, I have not found the need to...or I am not knowledgeable enough to know yet that I need to...I'm really trying to get this down pat, and will do whatever I need to do. I'll get there.

I like the look of the CBA2, and I really want to do well with it. The tops are beautiful.

I did notice that the LX wicks burn large-flamed, I am glad that you mentioned it. I thought that I was doing something wrong. One more worry put to rest.

You are an enormous help, I thank you.

Glad to be of help. The LXs just have a higher flame height - but that does not mean they should smoke - if they do - in either paraffin or soy - and you have ruled out everything else (too much FO, drafts, making their own air currents deep inside a jar) - then the choice is too large a wick. Just wick down a size.

Here is a good link to illustrate the flame heights:

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/wedo_LX_wicks.php

Now compare that with the RRDs:

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/wedo_RRD_wicks.php

Not that one is better than the other - just different.

I was going to try the C3 - but then I read posts complaining about it (just recently also) so, I'm waiting for topofmurrayhill to post about it. I think he said he was going to get some to compare with CBA.
The C-3 is here. It's peeking out of the cardboard box and giving me a look like, are you going to pour me or not?

I'm temporarily back on the mottles, but by next week I should be doing my most formal side-by-side testing and will try to post the results as they come along.

I probably also trim my wicks down to about 1/8" because as a rule, the LX wicks have tall flames.
For those waxes that tend to adhere to the wick and form a little peak, it's good to note that the peak should count as part of the wick length.

Going by the test numbers, LX wicks actually have among the shorter flames of all wicks relative to ROC. The only one that tests shorter is RRD I believe. I was looking at this with particular regard to wicking status jars because it seems to me that the flames like to dance around in those. Did you notice that?

BTW here is what I use to trim unburned wicks:

http://secure.candlesupply.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?queries_index=index7&title_bar=Clip%20A%20Wick%20Trimmer&recordno=14&Product_CatalogID=886&ProductNumber=aWicktrim&ProductCodeID=40&ProductSubCodeID=33&NewProduct=0

I tend to like it best for a hard wax candle though because it can impress a circular mark around the wick with a soft wax.

Ok, im not real professional I guess LOL. I cut the wick with sharp scissors because they are 7 inch wicks so I cut them in half and retab the other half so I have another wick. However, when I go to trim the wicks, I always use finger nail clippers. They fit down in the jar perfectly and cut it well. As far as my votives with the lx's I havent had any problems with the wicks. So hopefully no other issues once I try them in the jar. I am going to try CD-12's also. Someone mentioned trying those. Well thanks for all your adivce everyone! :cheesy2:

Hi Henry,

I saw that site a couple of months ago, but at that time I was a bit overwhelmed, and I didn't completely understand it. Now, I am going to use it as a jumping off point.

I do think that I like the smaller flame, will have to test some to get a feel for it. The RRD's did not perform as well in the EZ Soy as the do in the CBA2.