How do you package..

Lori, I print on 3 sides of a "cigar" type band and seal it under shrink wrap. It works well for me and my customers can still smell the soap since the ends are open. Here is a pictur of my recent salt bars;

saltbars002.jpg

Paul....

Thanks Paul. I was thinking of packaging like that, however, for any shows where there is humidity, I thought it might start to get soggy thus making the label look like crap. The last thing I want to do is have to repackage. I barely have enough time to get them made and cured and ready to go.. let alone worrying as to whether or not they will sweat and ruin the label/packaging.

Thanks Paul. I was thinking of packaging like that, however, for any shows where there is humidity, I thought it might start to get soggy thus making the label look like crap. The last thing I want to do is have to repackage. I barely have enough time to get them made and cured and ready to go.. let alone worrying as to whether or not they will sweat and ruin the label/packaging.

Wrapping them in ANY KIND of plastic or shrink is a disaster waiting to happen. Boxes, organza or muslin bags, or even just a cigar band like the pic I showed you is the way to go IMNSHO :highfive:

Thank you Lori. I have never had a problem thus far. I've have not had any issues with sweating bars. I have a dozen in my SUV in the rear. I've had them in there for a week now, 24/7, with no problems keeping them in the hot, humid rear of my Suburban.:yay: Guess I'm just lucky.

Paul....

I've recently discovered how wonderful and economic French Fry bags can be for packaging up any kind of soap. I bought a box of 2,000 French Fry bags for $12.00-$13.00 down at Smart & Final. They came in three different sizes. I bought the 5" X 4.5" X 1.5" bags. My soaps fit inside beautifully. I fold over the top, use a hole punch to punch 2 side by side holes in the fold, reinforce the punched holes with those round, sticky reinforcent stickers and thread a strand of pretty ribbon through the holes and tie it off in a bow. You can even punch a single hole in each of the 1.5" sides of the bag for ventilation purposes and to sniff the scent through. To see a sample, you can click on the following link and scroll all the way down to the very bottom of the page:

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm

HTH!

MarieJeanette

Wrapping them in ANY KIND of plastic or shrink is a disaster waiting to happen. Boxes, organza or muslin bags, or even just a cigar band like the pic I showed you is the way to go IMNSHO :highfive:

I'm thinking maybe a cigar band ? or the organza bag. I hate wrapping soaps lol .I also put my label on the outside of the package . I don't have a picture . I need to take one.

Wrapping them in ANY KIND of plastic or shrink is a disaster waiting to happen.

Interesting.

Is this something you learned from your own experience?

In my experience, shrinkwrapping is the best way to package salt bars. I use shrink bags that I put tiny pin holes in to prevent them from rupturing during shrinking. I label on the outside of the wrap, not the inside.

I've tested mine for several hours (actually a couple of days) in 90+ temps with humidity just a couple of points behind. They did great. I noticed no change in the bar, no sweating, and no degradation in the wrap.

If your comments were from your own experience, what exactly went wrong with your shrinkwrapped bars? I'm very interested in this.

I've recently discovered how wonderful and economic French Fry bags can be for packaging up any kind of soap. I bought a box of 2,000 French Fry bags for $12.00-$13.00 down at Smart & Final. They came in three different sizes. I bought the 5" X 4.5" X 1.5" bags. My soaps fit inside beautifully. I fold over the top, use a hole punch to punch 2 side by side holes in the fold, reinforce the punched holes with those round, sticky reinforcent stickers and thread a strand of pretty ribbon through the holes and tie it off in a bow. You can even punch a single hole in each of the 1.5" sides of the bag for ventilation purposes and to sniff the scent through. To see a sample, you can click on the following link and scroll all the way down to the very bottom of the page:

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm

HTH!

MarieJeanette

You sure do make some beautiful soap. Great ideal to use the FF bags for soap, I'm sure they have a coating which makes it even nicer. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I am really liking those FF bags. :yay: That is more the look I was wanting. Will have to check them out further. At the present time, I make 6 scents in salt bars.

Thanks everyone for giving me some ideas and if anyone else has anything to add.. please do so...

Any and all ideas are definately welcomed!

Interesting.

Is this something you learned from your own experience?

In my experience, shrinkwrapping is the best way to package salt bars. I use shrink bags that I put tiny pin holes in to prevent them from rupturing during shrinking. I label on the outside of the wrap, not the inside.

I've tested mine for several hours (actually a couple of days) in 90+ temps with humidity just a couple of points behind. They did great. I noticed no change in the bar, no sweating, and no degradation in the wrap.

If your comments were from your own experience, what exactly went wrong with your shrinkwrapped bars? I'm very interested in this.

Well there ya go! Hey, if it works for you...that's great.

When I first started making salt bars back in June 2005 using Iben's original method, I was using a different type of salt than I am using now. That's when I had a problem with 'sweating' as the salt absorbed moisture from the air over time.

I never mentioned glycerin.

That's when I changed my packaging to avoid plastic, cello or anything that would draw moisture to the salt. I've changed my recipe since then and I also changed the type of salt I use, but never went back to plastic. The dry environment worked and I just continued doing it that way.

Yes, interesting, indeed!

Jackie...!

I think it is so interesting to share our experiences and see how different they can be. It just goes to show you that there are so many times where there is no definitive answer. We always have to remember that what we also know to be true for us can change and frustrate the living snot out of us. :laugh2:

You're so right, Meridith. I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but I've made more than a few batches of salt bars in the past 2 years and I know what has worked for me. They've been consistent and for that I am happy. I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it...and don't tempt fate! Smiley%20Angel.gif

So true, Meridith. Sometimes I just blame it on those darn soap fairies! LOL What works perfectly for you may not work for me, and the other way too. I have only been making salt bars for about 2 or 3 months now, and have a lot of learning to experience. I will never, ever know everything about soapmaking, but love to learn and share my results, albeit right or wrong. Thanks to each one of you who shared in this thread! We have heard some interesting ideas, and that is the main thing, sharing.

Paul....:grin2:

Well there ya go! Hey, if it works for you...that's great.

When I first started making salt bars back in June 2005 using Iben's original method, I was using a different type of salt than I am using now. That's when I had a problem with 'sweating' as the salt absorbed moisture from the air over time.

I never mentioned glycerin.

That's when I changed my packaging to avoid plastic, cello or anything that would draw moisture to the salt. I've changed my recipe since then and I also changed the type of salt I use, but never went back to plastic. The dry environment worked and I just continued doing it that way.

Yes, interesting, indeed!

Jackie...!

Cool, thanks for elaborating!

I'm a big fan of the "whatever works" ideology.

• 1 year later...