Soy Candle - Did my FO separate?

I made a 7oz soy candle in a tumbler using Ecosoya CB135 and CandleScience's Wildberry Mousse. Made it last Sunday, haven't burned it yet to give it time to cure.

I should note that the Wildberry Mousse FO has a very yellowish tint to it.

Over the past couple of days, the wax at the top of the candle has turned very yellowish, but the sides are still quite white. (I didnt use any dye).

Is my fragrance oil separating?

Preparation: heated wax to 185, added fragrance oil at that temp when I took off heat, and stirred until pouring at 135.

If it looks like a white ring around the edges, I've had the same thing happen with C3 wax...mfg says it needs the UV additive even if it is not dyed. Mine aren't even in artificial light so I don't know how light is affecting them. Oh, and it only happened on some of the candles from the same batch...explain that one!

Some f/o's can cause the wax to look yellow. I have a couple of f/o's that will turn my wax a light shade of orange. When I experienced to much f/o in my candle it looked as if the candle had beads of oil on the top. Does it look like that?

No, it doesn't look like beads on top, I used 1 oz/lb. The problem is, it's yellow on top, but pure white on the sides. If it was yellow throughout, I could say it's the natural color of the FO doing that, but it's only on the top. That's why I'm wondering if it separated.

Some f/o's can cause the wax to look yellow. I have a couple of f/o's that will turn my wax a light shade of orange. When I experienced to much f/o in my candle it looked as if the candle had beads of oil on the top. Does it look like that?

What I experienced wasn't a change in the color so much as a white ring around the edges of the candle right next to the glass. If my camera was here, I'd take a pic and attempt to post it...maybe later today the DH will come home with the camera!

Not on mine...noticed it when I was showing candles to someone...opened up a few that had it. All stored the same. Weird...but then I'm finding that natural wax is weird...I love it...but it's weird! Playing with Glass Glow today...what a mess that stuff is!

No, it doesn't look like beads on top, I used 1 oz/lb. The problem is, it's yellow on top, but pure white on the sides. If it was yellow throughout, I could say it's the natural color of the FO doing that, but it's only on the top. That's why I'm wondering if it separated.

Can you post a pic...I know it would probably hard to see in the undyed candle.

I know in my experience it was due to the light. I would have a white candle and then go to get it and half of it would be yellow :( It didnt effect the burn at all though.

I'm going to assume this is the case, but it didn't affect others, however they were a different FO.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

My son knows how to do the pics so when he gets home I'll have him take a pic of one of the colored candles that did this and hopefully you will be able to see if it's the same thing. Not that I can tell you what caused it...but at least you'll know you're not alone!!

Ok, finally...here is the pic...thought it might be the tins, but it's happening on a couple of the glass containers also. It's harder to see in the yellow and the purple one has grown since I last checked it...it was a small circle and now it's huge! pretty soon the whole candle will be white.

post-7000-139458430308_thumb.jpg

Ok, finally...here is the pic...thought it might be the tins, but it's happening on a couple of the glass containers also. It's harder to see in the yellow and the purple one has grown since I last checked it...it was a small circle and now it's huge! pretty soon the whole candle will be white.

KK, that's not what was happening to my candle. It was a consistent discoloration on top. I've lit it now, and it seems to be burning just fine. Not sure it throws as well as everyone says it does, but that's a different problem altogether!

Thanks for the help and the effort!

If you are having trouble getting a pic just right, RS, try taking the photo outdoors in the daylight in bright shade. You may need to increase the contrast, etc., but the extra UV lighting outside helps to show up shades better than interior lighting. HTH

KK, the white rings on the candles in your picture are frosting.

Well, I guess I'm the one who's alone on this one!! I don't use color anymore in soy, but I'd still like to find out why one or two candles out of a batch did this? These are pretty old candles, probably 6-9 months sitting. Anyway, hopefully someone here can help you out!

If you are having trouble getting a pic just right, RS, try taking the photo outdoors in the daylight in bright shade. You may need to increase the contrast, etc., but the extra UV lighting outside helps to show up shades better than interior lighting. HTH

KK, the white rings on the candles in your picture are frosting.

Sorry, Stella, didn't read your post before I posted!! Frosting heh? Never had it show up in a ring before...usually just spots here and there or everywhere!! Ok, at least I have an answer! Maybe these were the first candles poured out of the batch and were poured a bit hotter...or the last and poured too cool? Also didn't realize frosting could show up after 5-6 months...boy makes me all the happier I don't color them anymore! Frosting doesn't show so bad on natural color!:laugh2: I'd better go to bed now...it's been a long day!

The older the soy wax candle, the more likely it is to show some frosting. Ones that start frosting from the get-go usually have gone white by then! See how it kinda looks crystally on the inner edges of the ring, as if it is growing inward? This is NOT the creepin' crud nor is there a fungus amongus! :pIt will not affect the burn or throw - it's just the "bloom" beginning to bloom... We still have some of the very first soy wax candles we poured and most of them have frosted similarly to how yours look... Many times, if we burn one that is like this, the frosting disappears after the first or second full melt pool.

Hmmm... wonder if I set my husband's shirts on fire if it will get rid of ring around the collar? :shocked2: :pCan I solve a problem or what?!!!:laugh2:

Stella,

you're too funny! Ok for frosting, I can live with a little frosting in my life!! I was beginning to think it was some form of fungus...thanks for clearing that up. Well these ugly ones are almost gone now because I've been giving them away as they do burn fine and smell fine. Now just natural color and so far only the really, really old ones have a tad around the edges. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't all go ugly on me!!

It sounds like the yellow is from the FO and is nothing to worry about. Eventually, the whole candle will turn yellow. I find I get this with any scents that are a sweeter smelling FOs or have vanilla in it. As far as the white ring, that is probably frosting or what is also called as the bloom of the candle. Natural waxes will get this and it also something to not be concerned about since it won't affect the burn or throw. It is just cosmetic.

Thanks, the yellow is actually colored yellow, it just has a tiny white ring which might be hard to see in the pic. Pic made it look darker in the center but it really isn't. Well...yet another characteristic of soy wax...I'm just not coloring anymore in soy, it's not worth the hassels. Even though they burn the same, I wouldn't want to sell something that looks like that...JMO. If I can afford to do so, I may just start using palm all the time. I like the fact that is doesn't have that smell that soy has and so far with the palm, no headaches...so it must have been soy and not fo as I thought.