Scents that do NOT throw in Soy

I've just recently started using soy wax and have found the pinned list of scents that throw well in soy (on this page) to be really helpful. Anyone interested in a thread of scents that you've found do NOT throw well in soy?

I'm happy to start off. I use 70/30, EL container/J223 and Peaks Key Lime Pie was a complete dud for me recently.

I know everyone has their own opinions on throw I just thought maybe we could share ours...

JMO but so much will depend on which type of soy is being used, the type of wick, the % of FO, how long it was cured, the size and style of the container, individual sense of smell...so many things factor into why someone doesn't get a good throw. I've seen FO's that were suppose to "rock" in soy and I got no throw at all. I am sure one of the reasons I mentioned was the cause. So maybe those commenting might also include what brand of soy they are using, % and wick type.

I started to list a few we think of as "duds," but I just can't. There is too much variability in the wax, wick, aditives, pouring temps, curing times, etc. to brand a particular manufacturer's product as something that doesn't throw in soy. We get lots of samples and only a small percentage are true duds. Some are okay, but they're what we call "Not' fragrances... as in "it's nice, but it's NOT mulberry." Some of the FOs I have seen listed on the "good in soy" listing do not work for us, but are bigtime winners for other people. Likewise, I suspect that if I were to say that So & So's Vanilla Dirt is a dud, someone would write that it is one of their customers' favorites!

So please pardon if I don't share our "dud" list here - I just do not want to unfairly bash any of our suppliers' products since the vast majority of their FOs have all been great. The problem might lie with our particular candle formula and not their FO.

I couldn't agree more with everyone regarding variables and how much effect they play on the throw but those same variables play the same effect on the list of scents that DO throw and that list is pinned above so I just thought we could get general experience responses like the list above.

No hard feelings at all if you do not wish to post. This was most certainly not meant to "bash" any particular fo's - that is the LAST thing I want to do or intended to do. People post their experiences with duds on here all the time, I just thought maybe some of us would like to throw them out into one thread rather than random posts all over the place.

Maybe it was a bad idea, I definitely don't want to offend anyone or more importantly any fo's by it! I would just looking for a more streamlined list.

You are exactly right, Homecomfort! The variables ARE the same in either case... I am just shy of saying something doesn't work which might impact the supplier's sales when it might be a problem with my candle formula. I agree that it could be a useful tool for SURE! I didn't mean that it's a bad idea, I am just not 100% confident that my candle formula is stable enough and don't wanna blame the FO.:undecided

I couldn't agree more with everyone regarding variables and how much effect they play on the throw but those same variables play the same effect on the list of scents that DO throw and that list is pinned above so I just thought we could get general experience responses like the list above.

No hard feelings at all if you do not wish to post. This was most certainly not meant to "bash" any particular fo's - that is the LAST thing I want to do or intended to do. People post their experiences with duds on here all the time, I just thought maybe some of us would like to throw them out into one thread rather than random posts all over the place.

Maybe it was a bad idea, I definitely don't want to offend anyone or more importantly any fo's by it! I would just looking for a more streamlined list.

I don' think listing an FO from a company that didn't throw for you is bashing that company. I know there alot of variables that go into it, but it can give you a starting point or an idea of one FO over another - i.e,. you are considering 1 fragrance from 2 different companies and can't decide. Knowing what threw for someone or didn't might help you to choose. Of course your experience can be different and that is why we test. Also, many suppliers will list if an FO throws in soy or not and some, regardless of the wax just won't work. But listing what did not throw for you is NOT bashing IMO. It is just stating facts based on that person's experience and you need to take that experience with a certain grain of salt and know that it might not be what you experience.

Listing FO's that do throw in soy is the same as listing FO's that don't throw in soy. I have bought plenty that throw in other's soy and they haven't worked for me. And have read many times of a scent that others say doesn't throw for them is one that works for me, as we all have. Also I use a larger % than most at 1.5 pp in soy and find only a few that I use less.

Most times I can't really tell if anything throws, I have to give everything to my tester and she writes a report. One I remember that I just didn't like and sold it on classified before she could even test. Went to her house and before I got to the front door smelled the wonderful spicy scent, yum. It was Heartfelt's Toffee Apple Crunch. I bought more but it just doesn't sell cause (I think) the cold throw is a completely different scent than the hot. And maybe the name.

PEAK Key Lime throws like crazy for me in CB135. One of my best sellers.

I agree with the different waxes + FO's. Many times I have bought FO's that others said were great only to have them sit there and do nothing in my wax.

Ditto what Meredith said...I think it was poor choice of words to say its 'bashing a supplier' if you say their scent didn't throw in your wax...no bashing at all. Everyone knows not every scent will work in every wax, I would rather have someone here tell me they use soy and an oil didn't throw for them no matter what the variables are. I don't like to waste money and I don't think anyone else does either, so most times I will find another oil that gets better reviews but that doesn't mean I won't someday try that oil to see for myself but a 'tip' is just that..a tip! We here know to 'take it for what its worth to you' about reviews! I have also tried many oils where people here absolutely raved about it in soy and it didn't do anything for me, so its both ways...but it certainly isn't bashing!

I haven't found a coconut that throws in any soy wax. If I mix it with something else it's ok, but not on it's own.

KY has a fantastic coconut! I use EL 100% soy. It smells chemical/nasty OOB but really blooms and throws well in wax.

KY has a fantastic coconut! I use EL 100% soy. It smells chemical/nasty OOB but really blooms and throws well in wax.

KY's is Coconut Cream Pie and it is great but it's not coconut. It's hard to even find a plain coconut with out crust or other fruits.

I just do not want to unfairly bash any of our suppliers' products since the vast majority of their FOs have all been great.

I kept wondering where all the talk of "bashing" came from, then reread and saw that I had used the word first.:embarasse I had no idea it would cause such a stir, so let me clarify:

I do not want to publically assert that a particular supplier's FO does not throw in "soy wax" simply because it did not throw well in our "soy wax" candles, especially when that supplier's products (...of the ones I have personally tested...) have been of good quality overall. Each supplier is going to have great FOs and there will probably be a few duds also. Agreeing on what constitutes a "dud" is part of the issue. The larger part of the issue I was attempting to convey is not wanting to harm a supplier's orders because of my "thumbs down." I realize that many people base or narrow their selections on what we write in these lists - people have asserted that fact! That has an impact on a supplier's sales, for good or for bad. I generally appreciate our suppliers, 'cause without them, we'd be in a world of hurt trying to find supplies! So, unless I REALLY think a supplier's product is unacceptable in general, I do not want to make statements which might affect their pocketbooks negatively. The profit margin for smaller suppliers is much narrower than it is for larger ones. I would like for them to flourish so I will always have a BUNCH of decent folks with whom to do business.

Hope that clears up any misconception caused by my use of the term, "bash."

I still don't agree with you Stella. I don't think that saying that a particular FO from a particular supplier did not throw for you would be detrimental to a supplier or its sales or cause it to go out of business. I think that is stretching a bit far. As has been discussed, it is common knowledge that what works for one might not work for another. So having said that, if a supplier has a good reputation to begin with, and I hear a particular supplier's FO did not throw for Jane or Joe Blow, that alone is not going to keep from buying from that supplier overall, just maybe not that particular scent. I'll just find another one to buy that sounds good or more of one I know is good. Many of my favorite suppliers have FOs I've tried that I didn't like and wouldn't buy again whether I was soaping it or pouring but I still buy from them and the same amount I would have normally.

Now if you consistently hear from a majority of the people that a majority of a supplier's FOs don't throw and you begin to see a definite pattern, then yes it can hurt their bottom line, but not because a few here and there said an FO didn't throw from them. And that supplier that gets a bad reputation did so deservingly since they obviously did not offer quality products.

I do respect your opinion though.

I will throw another point to ponder on the subject....

I don't know there is a scent out there I can't get to throw in soy wax that I make tarts. My problem with some scents start the second I add a wick to some of them. At this point, I yell FORGET IT :laugh2:

When I find a scent that doesn't throw in a candle, I made a note on that bottle, FOR TARTS ONLY. I won't waste my FO's this way.

I have pretty good luck with my scent throws BUT not Lemon Chiffon. Mild compared to others. I will say Lemon Pucker (in a tart) made my eyes burn when first melting but soon got used to it. I use 100% soy 402. One other is Pina Coloda. A fair throw if you like it in one or 2 rooms.I want my candles to scent my whole house. LynnS