...a day in the life of an orb.....

So, after purchasing Donita's excellent Orb Tutorial, I decided today was the day.

3 kids at school, offloaded youngest at my mums with the promise she would take her to nursery.

I'd bought myself a large pyrex bowl in anticipation of the massive orbs I was going to make.

Got balloon, wax etc ready and off I went.... (with me so far lol)

1st orb, after it was coated with wax, I plunged it into the water and then burst the balloon, only to have the orb shoot out of my hands into the water and come out a really distorted shape. Quick thinking, I dried it off and put it in a plastic mixing bowl to try and retain some of its shape.

Bit bubbly around the bottom, I thought I'll pour a thin layer of wax into the bottom to make it sturdier and look better. So this then melts through the bottom of the orb completely! But managed to get there in the end.

Being a complete glutton for punishment I decided to make another, while I still had the wax etc out.

This time when I lifted it to put over the sink to burst the balloon, the bottom of the orb disintegrated, back in the pot it went.

I just couldn't give up!....

So tried again, but this time I thought I'll keep the balloon in place for support until the orb had set up. As I'd plunge it into the water bath, some water had gone over the top and down between the orb and balloon, but I thought I'll empty that out when I get home.

So, got home from school run, I took it over to the sink and being so big I had to hole it against me whilst popping it!!

I was drowned, all the worktops in the kitchen were swimming, my hair was dripping, my top was soaked lmao....

and......... it had 3 hairline cracks in the bottom.

I've filled it and make the inside level.

My god, why do I do this to myself, because I'm hooked that's why hehe :laugh2:

I did however, put some pressed flowers on a forever pillar I made, and I'm very happy with that. Looks great from a distance, bit of a miss-mash up close lol

There you have it............ a day in the life of

oh and half way through that fun and games, just as it went pear shaped, I'm screaming at the top of my lungs, saying a few choice words as my mother in law happened to walk in! :embarasse

Making 'canes and orbs IS a different sort of self punishment! :laugh2:Wonder how many have had thumbs through them, etc.?

BUT it's all SWEEEEEET when one comes out right!:yay:

Thanks for the chuckle - I think many of us have "resembled dat remark":laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

"...just a few foot pounds too much pressure, Lloyd, and SNAP..."

Yvette.....that is hilarious. Sounds like me when I first started making them. I quit. But then about a week later I couldn't stand it and tried it again. I shed many a tear in the process. But finally I got there. Once you get it....I promise it is easy and the problems will diminish.....really. Some of my first ones were so terrible that in order to save them I covered them with flowers to hide all of the mistakes. I actually sold them. People didn't know what was under the 100 flowers. (smile) Donita

Yvette.....that is hilarious. Sounds like me when I first started making them. I quit. But then about a week later I couldn't stand it and tried it again. I shed many a tear in the process. But finally I got there. Once you get it....I promise it is easy and the problems will diminish.....really. Some of my first ones were so terrible that in order to save them I covered them with flowers to hide all of the mistakes. I actually sold them. People didn't know what was under the 100 flowers. (smile) Donita

ROFL

I'm still laughing myself, it was straight out of a comedy film, bit like the 3 stooges but just me ;)

They are very big, not sure what to decorate them with yet. 7" across x 3" high. I got a few more flowers come in the post today, but need to order a lot more foliage, and then get cracking on making my own.

I used some on my pillar I made, I'm very happy with how that turned out, although every time I 'stuck' the flower to my hand and couldnt' get it off, a few more choice words were heard :laugh2:

Oh ya gotta laugh :)

Orbs are a blast to make. When I first started my DH rigged a string from my workshop ceiling over my turkey fryer full of wax. It works great, I dont have to stand there and hold the balloon. Well one time I thought I had it on good. My balloon did a huge cannon ball in to the hot wax. I closed my eyes and screamed. Wax EVERYWHERE. Good thing I wear glasses because they were covered.Im still picking wax off of some places.In time it gets easier, beware they are truly addicting. What has Donita done to us???I cant wait for her to lead us into more LOL

Orbs are a blast to make. When I first started my DH rigged a string from my workshop ceiling over my turkey fryer full of wax. It works great, I dont have to stand there and hold the balloon. Well one time I thought I had it on good. My balloon did a huge cannon ball in to the hot wax. I closed my eyes and screamed. Wax EVERYWHERE. Good thing I wear glasses because they were covered.Im still picking wax off of some places.In time it gets easier, beware they are truly addicting. What has Donita done to us???I cant wait for her to lead us into more LOL

Be careful what you wish for said the Pied Piper. ;) Donita