Weight Of Candles??

I see alot of websites saying that the candle they are selling is 10 oz - it is the same candle jar I am using, and it actually only holds between 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 ounces, depending on how high you fill it. To get the true net weight, put the jar on the scale, tare it, then put a filled candle jar on - that is the net weight.

To be on the safe side, I list our weight as 7 oz - I guess it kind of annoys me that others list their contents as 10 oz....not exactly sure why, but it does.....lol

I've gotta agree with Jane. I've seen many people list the 8 oz jelly jar as an 8 ounce candle, when my 8 ounce jelly jar only hold 5 1/2 to 6 oz of wax. I've had people ask at candle parties why my jelly jar only holds 5 1/2 ounces of wax when they can get So&So's jelly jar and it holds 8 ounces. Trying not to bash, I explain that my candles are sold by weight and that the jelly jar holds eight fluid ounces.

I was asking because I was on a website that just had the dimensions of their pillars posted and I didn't see any weights. I was also at a craft show and noticed the lady filled her jj all the way to the top. So I tested an extra jj I had at home and 8 oz. was clear to the top. I am so confused?? The people selling our supplies should mention an 8 oz. container only holds 7 oz. because wax filled to the brim doesn't look good and would spill over while it is burning, I would think....

I do not know for a fact what is required by law in terms of labeling or descriptions. I try to provide the most accurate information that I can whether required by law or not! The NET weight should ALWAYS be plainly stated because THAT is what is important, not how much the container weighs! I also give the dimensions of the container or candle because good product photos show all-product and frequently appear MUCH larger than the actual product. I include the weight as well as dimensions for containerless candles.

A label or description is supposed to give a customer an accurate idea of what they are buying. Sure, you can put stuff in fine type or omit information, but I try to do what's right, which is to make it as easy as possible for a customer to get an accurate idea of what they are buying.

I did not know that about candles, guess that applies to tarts too. Now I'll have to add to my labels. Here is the part about candles. Also my wholesale customers do not want the address or web site or any info about me on their candles/tarts. What applies there?

What packaging does the FPLA apply to?

The FPLA applies to consumer commodities that are distributed in commerce (§ 1452). However, it's important to know the definition of consumer commodity (§ 1459). Roughly, the Act applies to anything packaged for retail sale to individuals, if it gets eaten, used for personal care, or used within the household; and then only if you consume or expend it when you use it.

For example, it applies to aluminum foil, candles, household cleaning fluids, and light bulbs, all of which get "used up." But the FPLA does not apply to toys, hardware, or sporting goods (not consumed or expended), nor to motor oil (not used within the household).

In addition, the definition (§ 1459) explicitly excludes a number of items, such as meats, poultry, tobacco, prescription drugs, alcoholic beverages, and seeds. Also, the FPLA doesn't apply to packages seen only by the retailer (not by the consumer).

The Fair Packaging and Labeling Act is a US law that applies to labels on many consumer products. It requires the label to state

• the identity of the product;
  • the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor; and
  • the net quantity of contents.

The contents statement must include both metric and inch/pound units, although an amendment to permit metric-only labels will be introduced in Congress.

Sharon, I can't for the life of me find the thread, but someone here stated that with wholesale accounts, you still need the manufacturer's name, for liability purposes.

I remember reading that they put very small on the candle: Manufactured by My Candles for Your Candles.

Anyone remember saying that?

I do know that Molly's Candles doesn't put anything about where they are made. Can't remember if they had weight.

Mine do say handmade by Sharon in KY, hope that is enough. But have never put the weight on my candles or tarts. Use to put burn time and do give an approx. time for scent to last in tarts but that's it.

I put the net weight on ALL my candles......tarts, votives, tapers, pillars and containers!! :cool2:

That should be OK as long as you also include dimensions for the candles that are customarily sold that way. Pillars for instance, unless they're oddly shaped, should have the height and diameter. The consumer needs to be able to compare with others products on the market. The FPLA isn't about net weight, but rather using appropriate and accurate counts and measures according to the product type.

I list the net weight of the candle on my label in ounces and grams. Then I list the burn time next to it. I want my customers to know exactly how long it will burn based on wax weight in the jar. I also estimate how much wax will be left in the jar based on the neck of wick tab and include that in my estimated range of burn hours.

If you have a 10 oz jar that holds only 7.5 oz wax and a 6mm wick tab and you list it as a 10 oz burn time I expect a customer might notice.

I have 8 oz. jar...on my labels. Just stating that its a 8 oz. JAR, not the weight of the actual contents. Is this wrong?:confused:

Yes, it's actually incorrect. The law states "net quantity". The amount of water a jar holds (which is what is meant by having an 8 oz jar) isn't a net quantity. To be correct, you need the weight of what goes inside.

I have 8 oz. jar...on my labels. Just stating that its a 8 oz. JAR, not the weight of the actual contents. Is this wrong?:confused:

I use to think not, but after reading the sites that Beth provided, sounds like Net Wt is required.