Mosquito Candle FO

This may have been asked but here it goes. Where can I get the FO for the mosquito candles? There are two candles advertised for this purpose, Citronella and the new Conceal Candles. If anyone knows were to get either I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Garry

Hello,

Makes Scents Candles has Citronella FO.

If you have never made them before here are a couple little tips.

If selling them to customers to burn outside have them leave wick long, not trimmed. The added smoke helps keep the mosquitos and other bugs away.

You can also go up a size in the wick if you are using a tin or thick glass container.

the address for the above company is

www.makesscentscandles.com

I have also heard that lemongrass and lemongrass and sage are good FO to get rid of bugs.

Sorry to go on and on,

Good Luck

as far as I know - citronella FO is NOT effective against mosquitos.

If you want a true citronella candle that deters mosquitos and biting bugs, you need to use citronella essential oil - as it is the actual oil that mossies don't like. Citronella FO is just a synthetic oil that is made to smell like citronella and doesn't contain the oil that mossies find offensive.

I love the Info you gave.

Thanks,

Garry

Hello,

Makes Scents Candles has Citronella FO.

If you have never made them before here are a couple little tips.

If selling them to customers to burn outside have them leave wick long, not trimmed. The added smoke helps keep the mosquitos and other bugs away.

You can also go up a size in the wick if you are using a tin or thick glass container.

the address for the above company is

www.makesscentscandles.com

I have also heard that lemongrass and lemongrass and sage are good FO to get rid of bugs.

Sorry to go on and on,

Good Luck

Candlemwoman: Thanks, The synthetic vs the essential oil is a good point.

Thanks again,

Garry

as far as I know - citronella FO is NOT effective against mosquitos.

If you want a true citronella candle that deters mosquitos and biting bugs, you need to use citronella essential oil - as it is the actual oil that mossies don't like. Citronella FO is just a synthetic oil that is made to smell like citronella and doesn't contain the oil that mossies find offensive.

I've made the outdoor bug candles for several yrs w/ fo & have found it to be quite effective keeping the Tx 'skeeters away. Does a far better job than yard foggers that they seems to have become immune to! Since I wasn't convinced these would really help I bought a really cheap oil from Gemlites on ebay -- $8/lb at regular price & I've gotten it as low as $4/lb when bidding. This is not a favorite supplier, but the Citronella is really good & they also have a good Lemongrass that I mix w/ it to take off the edge. Also, I make my own wicks for these. You'll need a pack of cotton refill wicks made for oil torches -- you can get them at Home Depot or Lowe's. There are several strands of cotton per wick, so unwind them to get single pieces. Use your largest wick, dip the cotton torch wick in wax & wrap it around your wick. Wind it around your wick so it's always touching. You shouldn't see any of your core wick when your through wrapping it -- it will look like a wax coated rope wick. This will give you a big flame that really puts off the smoke. I'm about to test a new blend of Citronella, Lemongrass & Cedar to see if I can keep the mosquitoes & flies away -- apparently flies hate cedar. I'll have results as soon as I get the Cedar fo.

HTH - Susan.

A Garden Eastward has an essential oil blend called Bug Buster that works wonders on all the flying, bitey bugs up here in Western NY. I also add a couple drops of Catnip EO for added kick and haven't been bit in several years now. You don't need to wick up and smoke everyone out, the oils do the trick by wicking properly. Along with candles, I also make lotion bars and spray with this and sell tons this time of the year. :cool2:

Susan thanks so much for all the info. I am bring up Ebay now.

Thanks,

Garry

I've made the outdoor bug candles for several yrs w/ fo & have found it to be quite effective keeping the Tx 'skeeters away. Does a far better job than yard foggers that they seems to have become immune to! Since I wasn't convinced these would really help I bought a really cheap oil from Gemlites on ebay -- $8/lb at regular price & I've gotten it as low as $4/lb when bidding. This is not a favorite supplier, but the Citronella is really good & they also have a good Lemongrass that I mix w/ it to take off the edge. Also, I make my own wicks for these. You'll need a pack of cotton refill wicks made for oil torches -- you can get them at Home Depot or Lowe's. There are several strands of cotton per wick, so unwind them to get single pieces. Use your largest wick, dip the cotton torch wick in wax & wrap it around your wick. Wind it around your wick so it's always touching. You shouldn't see any of your core wick when your through wrapping it -- it will look like a wax coated rope wick. This will give you a big flame that really puts off the smoke. I'm about to test a new blend of Citronella, Lemongrass & Cedar to see if I can keep the mosquitoes & flies away -- apparently flies hate cedar. I'll have results as soon as I get the Cedar fo.

HTH - Susan.

ChrisR with all the info received here on this question I will be very busy this weekend.:yay:

Thanks,

Garry

My Honor Student and

Your Ferret would get along

just great!!

A Garden Eastward has an essential oil blend called Bug Buster that works wonders on all the flying, bitey bugs up here in Western NY. I also add a couple drops of Catnip EO for added kick and haven't been bit in several years now. You don't need to wick up and smoke everyone out, the oils do the trick by wicking properly. Along with candles, I also make lotion bars and spray with this and sell tons this time of the year. :cool2: