1st CP Experience: Now what?

EmpressC

Yesterday I made my first ever batch of CP soap! :yay: Overall I think I did ok. I'll see for sure when I unmold it when I get home from work today. I think I over-blended it because I was at trace before I even got to add the FO. When I did add it, it got real thick on me. So my attempt at swirls failed. I am probably gonna have a big green blob in the middle of my soap. LOL!

Anyhoo, once I finished, I looked at all the used containers and thought, "Now what?" I wasn't sure what to do with the leftover soap in the mixing bowl. So my question is, what is the normal cleanup procedure?

And what about the container you use for the lye portion of the recipe? Some of it was still stuck inside the container, I didn't want to just rinse it and let it go down the drain as I wasn't sure what would happen. I also didn't want to just leave it sitting like I did the other containers. So I ended up throwing the container away (it was cheap anyway), but I assume there must be a better way?

How do you all clean up? TIA.

Any leftover "globs" of soap you want to scrape out and dispose of in the trash. Wipe the insides of your containers with the soap with paper towels to get most of the excess out. Put your lye container in the sink and fill with warm and let overflow. I fill up my soapy containers with very hot water and let overflow in the sink also. Then fill up your sink with hot very soapy water and wash like normal.

When I make soap I will leave my soap pot sitting over night, then the next day I scrape the leftovers out and make soap balls out of them. I then just wash my soap pot in warm water. With my lye container I rinse it well first then wash it out with a soapy paper towel. Easy peasy!

Yay for you! Congrats on that all-important very first batch!

I just use plastic yogurt type containers for measuring my lye beads. If there are a few left inside, I just rinse the container and let the water go down the drain. No biggie -- it isn't much lye at all. :)