Beeswax or UA or both??

I've read that either 3% BW or 1 TBS Universal Additive pr lb will make the tops smoother in soy candles. Is it necessary with Soy/Veg blends too? And does one work better than the other? Or is it best to use both? One more: Does using them cause you to have to wick up.

I'm messing myself up because I'm testing a new wax, new wicks and playing with the additives all at the same time! :tongue2:

I just have customers waiting for my new soy candles and I'd like to at least get 2 or 3 of my Christmas ones on the shelf before too long.

Thanks for any help -

Vicki I would try just the beeswax alone to see if you get the results you are looking for. I don't see why you would need any Universal Additive at all, as I personally don't see any benefit to it used in soy wax.

Thank you! I was needing some direction there. I really didn't see much difference with the UA in my testing. Will try to beeswax. Did you notice having to wick up after adding it? If so, I'll just wait until I get my beeswax or I'll have to start testing all over again.

Thanks again -

Thanks for sharing that. Myself, I'm not really so concerned whether there is paraffin or not. It's basically a marketing type of deal. I was using J223 (paraffin blend) in the past and my customers loved it.

So I guess for anyone claiming there is no paraffin in their soy candle, they better not use it - my claim is that my candles are "Crafted from a 100% Natural Soy/Vegetable Wax" so as long as I stay within those boundaries I guess I'll be ok. It's all in the wording :wink2:

Not if you want to pay an arm and a leg for it :wink2: . It is pretty darn expensive, but if you just need a little to test it might be ok. Try swans candles, ther are based out of Tacoma, WA. Their prices are ok, and the shipping might not be that bad to CA. Good luck.

I just picked up some beeswax from Michael's to try out. It was pricey, ab five bucks for half pound, but I have it now for testing rather than waiting five days to ship.

I have tested S1 and have enough to complete my Christmas candle project, but I am testing Mill Creek soy for next year sales, and my goal is to get a soy that will pour as hot as possible and still have smooth top. I have tried UA at 2%, poured at 135 deg but still had rough top and sinkhole. I even tried 2% UA and 5% 147 MP paraffin, poured at 115 deg and had the Grand Canyon in my test jar! After heat gunning them, the top was silky smooth, but I needed to wick up and the throw was not much better than straight soy.

We'll see how beeswax works now.