additives? shopping list

Do you have to add additives to the candles? I've been seeing things on additives, but not sure what they would be for....

Here is what I want to start with:

A soy or soy blend wax -looking at ecosoya, ezsoy, or the golden blend. I am not going to add color to start, want to perfect the rest first and I do like the natural soy cream color.

I am thinking a smaller jar to start, perhaps an 8oz so I need wicks for that size. I need to pick up a pouring pan/pot ( I thought I would check Michael's and use my coupon for that)

I have FO here but they are from Wellington and it looks like I might be better off with another supplier for those... (would like to get a few more FO from whatever co. I get the wax from to cut down on shipping costs)

I need a candle thermometer as well.

What am I missing from my list?

Thanks!!!!

great list..I also use a stir stick(plastic spoon) and a mini throw away cup to measure the FO oil in(dixie cups)

I use soy and do not use additives...well I take that back I am in the process of trying the coconut oil76 that you can get at walley world

Best of luck to you and your candle journey

Different people use different additives to achieve different results - keep it simple. If your supplier recommends an additive, try some and pour candles with and without it to see if YOU think it's needed...:wink2:

The 8 oz container is a nice size - we use an 8 oz widemouth canning jar. Different shapes and heights and diameters require different wicking, so keep that in mind.;)

You CAN buy pouring pots and they are nice, but a clean can will work well, too.

What's wrong with Wellington? We have used a lot of their fragrances and like them very much!

A candy thermometer from the grocery store is just fine - doesn't have to be anything special for candles.

How will you melt your wax? Many folks like Presto pots, but until we got those, we used a big can in a pan of water.

Hope you have fun! :grin2:

If it is a blended wax then you don't need to add additives to it. Thats what a container blend is. E.g.; EcoSoya's CB 135 is pre-blended so you don't have to add additives.

Read further on the suppliers discription of the wax. The info should be there. If you are not sure give them a call and ask if it is already blended.

Check out some candle suppliers before you go to a craft store. You may save yourself a big pile of money! Most suppliers have candle making kits with everything you need included. Craft stores are way too expensive!

Thanks! I like the wellington fragrances in my b/b products, but from what I was reading it seemed like they don't give off a good throw. I am glad that you like them as I already have like 12 larger bottles!

I figured for melting I would start with a larger pot and put the pouring pot in (double broiler like). The presto conversion looks great - I may need to get on my husband about making one for me :laugh2:

I really like the mason jars, so I'll probably start there. Unless I get a kit and I'll use the ones that come with it.