New Website

Hows the site looking?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Hows the site looking?

• Great
    • Terrible
    • Needs Work

I have been working, well, my web designer and I have been working on a new website design and I think I have got one thats looks great. The pics will have to be retaken and I'll have to change the size and rotate them all and my logo is a little to big to go next to the business name at the top so I'll have to work on that and there are a few other tweeks that need to be made. What do you think?

www.southern-scents.com

Here's some advice--don't give links to places like CT and Gelluminations, or you could put yourself out of business. I really don't think you would want your customers to come here and find your posts about how much you pay for wax, etc, and some of the other comments that have been made.

Just my opinion, but...

1. The blue (BTW, I love blue, but not that one) is the colour that my husband calls "the blue screen of death", when your computer goes blah and you don't know why and all of a sudden there's a blue screen...

2. You only have a few products, lots of scents in each, but still only a few products. I feel cheated when I click on "Candles" and there is only 1 choice of candle. I click on "Soap" and there is only one soap: different colours and scents, but only 1 soap. Etc. Unless you have more choice, I would just stick with "Products", and then maybe have the scent list at the bottom since it probably pertains to all of them. I just find that it is too busy for the few products you have.

Well...you said it yourself it needs some work but I think you are off to a good start. Your pictures look nice but I think they are a little too large because it takes too long for my dial up to load. One thing I don't like is the rectangle blue box in the middle of the site that has 'Southern Scents' written in it. The heading looks elegant but the box looks clipart-ish and the two don't go together in my opinion. I didn't have time to check on the links. I'm not used to the buttons being on the right side. I sort of wish it would become the norm. It's easier to use the scroll down when they are on the right. The blue didn't bother me because the orange caught my eye more than the blue. Keep at it!

I have a quick question...do you not list (or am I blind?) how many ounces your candles are on your site or your labels? I looked at your site from a customers view and if I didnt see the ounces listed, and just a price, I wouldnt buy it. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with the other suggestions and would add that maybe you consider deleting some of the repeats of the company name on the "Home" page. It appears to many times.

You're off to a good start.

Ok, i put the list of gelluminations and CT on there for the search engine ranking, just never removed them. will work on that. I know the bule is bright and I am thinking about a color change but I m gonna get lots of opinions before i do so. There will be more products in the future. I had the 8 OZ aspect written in my description but i rewrote them so i will add that back in. Its not on my scent label but it is on my warning label on the bottom. I am gonna take the add out of the middle when i get a chance. I think the buttons on the right side is unique and thats why I chose them but if no one likes them then i will change them. I am definitely going to work on the pics, they are horrible. I get tons of comments on my survey so im seriously thinking about keeping it. I am gonna work on all of the text more. Most of it is pieces of previous website just pasted in so i could have a quick look at it. Thanks for the help and keep it coming.

One problem with having your links on the right (and this is why most sites put them on the left) is that different computers display web pages differently. With the links on the right, some people may have to scroll to see them. Horizontal scrolling is a big no-no.

One problem with having your links on the right (and this is why most sites put them on the left) is that different computers display web pages differently. With the links on the right, some people may have to scroll to see them. Horizontal scrolling is a big no-no.

Very very true, not sure why he nor I thought about that.

On your survey it reads " do you like the way our website is LAYED out" shouldn't it read, "do you like the way our site is laid out?" Your colors are vibrant, I like that, you should put product size in your descriptions of your hand sanitizer and multi use spray...

Yeah I know you are right. I'm not used to them being on the right either. It is awkward but I still kinda like it for when I'm on a laptop and don't have an external mouse. I have carpal tunnel and I'm starting to notice any extra movements. I hate to scroll sideways even worse though.

I love love love the flower at the top! It's beautiful! But think that a light orange, peach, or reddish background might be cleaner looking.

My main thing is the scrolling l to r, and the pictures. A lot of the background stuff is beautiful, but it's in focus, while the products aren't. How to fix it? No clue..lol I suck at picture taking!

You're off to a great start!

I think you have a nice start on your site. I happen to like orange and blue combos. But on a site it might look nicer if the blue where paler or a pastel type.

Pictures are nice but do load slow.

I would also change the "supplies" section to read "wholesale supplies" so people understand they are intended for businesses.

Otherwise-- nice job!

I like your site. It's bright and energetic to me. Although I do think the pictures on your home page are a bit large. Folks on dial up will not stay long enough to order your great products. I have a nice image resizer that is free download online. It's been working great for me to resize my photos. PM if you want the link.

I wish I could see the pictures of the soaps that you have at the top of the page. They are not clear.

Is it possible you could have your links for navigation to the left of the screen? Perhaps it is but its showing to the right on my screen in IE.

Aside from that it's lovely. I am the last person to be giving advice since I have my own site that I am tweaking but you did ask for honest advice. Best of luck in your business ventures.

Geez who voted and said the site was terrible?

I just had a few minutes to view your site. I noticed two spelling errors. On your candle page, "receive" is spelled wrong and "don't" needs the apostrophe after the 'n'.

The site is coming along nicely. I noticed a few grammatical issues but I'm not sure what "tone" you are attempting.

Nice job, you can see all the effort you have put into the site. (I'm working on mine this weekend--I just can't seem to get it how I want it).

Good luck!