wicker-uppers

Jeeze that is a tough question - it depends upon the wick used, the individual scent (from one supplier, maybe wick up, the same scent from another doesn't need it...), the wax and dyes being used, the container or mold, etc. You simply have to experiment to find what is working for you with YOUR materials and applications. Just too many variables to be able to reliably say which FOs need more wick without testing. HTH

Stella is absolutely right (again)...I had Orange-Vanilla from one co that I had to wick up 2 sizes and another co that I didn't have to wick up at all???? They both smelled great CT and HT...so I can't say one was inferior to the other. I do find that MOST Orange/Lemon/Grapefruit need one size up.

strong cinnamons and spices, such as clove

some vanillas and vanilla spice blends, like cinnamon vanilla

patchouli -- actually forget wicking up. Just break out a hank of boat rope. :grin2:

heavy "perfumey" types such as Drakkar and Angel

blueberry muffin

Just as a rule of thumb for me if it says vanilla - and I can smell the vanilla in a blend (Cinnilla, Cranberry vanilla) I'll start off with the larger wick...and wick down after the test burn. Hasn't happened often though.

patchouli -- actually forget wicking up. Just break out a hank of boat rope. :grin2:

Dadgummit, I think I peed my panties on that one!:grin2::grin2::grin2:

I have never had to wick up on vanillas... See? It's so ODD! If the ones we use had a better hot throw, they would run us outta the house!

Now I HAVE had trouble with several patchoulis... never thought about wicking up...duh!:rolleyes2 They all burned perfectly, but the throw just wasn't much even after the candles had cured for a long, long time (in either palm or soy waxes)... I just kept testing from different suppliers until I found a couple that worked better. Now I have to go get some rope outta the boat and retry all those rejects...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

strong cinnamons and spices, such as clove

some vanillas and vanilla spice blends, like cinnamon vanilla

heavy "perfumey" types such as Drakkar and Angel

blueberry muffin

Ahh yesss Drakkar. How could I forget Drakkar. That one is a bugger to wick.

Warm Orange Gingerbread from Tennessee. This one has to be hands down the biggest PITA to wick. I finally gave up and just soaped the darn stuff.

Apple Jack and Peel. I had to wick up 3 sizes in my 16 ounce container, 2 sizes in my 8 ounce container. And this was after reducing the percentage of the oil.

Wow! That's wild. I actually have to wick DOWN on most of my apple scents, otherwise I get a FMP in like 1-1.5 hours for a 3-inch container! LOL Go figure.

Just another good lesson for newbs reading this: everyone's dye/wax/wick/fo combos are gonna be different, and it's up to the chandler to test his own stuff. :)

And I do have a couple vanillas that, surprisingly, do not need to be wicked up. On one I actually wick DOWN. But then again, soy's all over the place. LOL With my paraffin candles, I use a much smaller variety of wick sizes.

To be honest with you, I don't have a clue what the "jack" stands for. :embarasse LOL! It might mean Jack Daniels, but I don't have much experience/knowledge with alcoholic beverages. I detest the taste of the stuff, so I've never been into that scene much. heh heh

I'm just a dumb bunny in that department. :grin2:

I also have never had to wick up on Vanilla BUT did find out last week Juniper Breeze if I ever get used to it and like it. ALthough like hubby said Other might like it. I had one scent called Tropical Islands and I just couldnt smell it. Didn't have much scent and my goodness people were buying it. I kept sniffing it to see what people saw with it but just couldn't get it. Not with the other better fragrances I had. Just never know.LynnS

Applejack is a "hard" (contains alcohol) beverage made from apple juice. Here's a recipe:

http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~goodwine/applejack.htm

OR if you want a good, refreshing alcoholic beverage but can't stand beer, try Woodchuck Draft Cider. It doesn't taste like apple cider at all - just a hint of apple; is carbonated and very refreshing. The "Amber" is available here. Check in the beer imports area of your store.;) Beats having to make yer own.:wink2: