Another wax and scent question!

Hi everyone,

I am new to candle making (as if it wasn't obvious enough). Anyway, if you guys wouldn't mind giving me some input on the best soy waxes to use. Should I use a blend of 100% soy? I see a lot of forums about scent leaking, I really don't want that. How much scent can I add without getting the leaking but maximum scent? I also see a lot of "triple scented" candles. Are they really triple scented and if they are how much scent is "triple"? I have read sooooo much my vision is blurred. You guys really have great information, the best website yet!!!!!

Thanks bunches,

TashaMac

I don't think anyone can really tell you what wax to use that you are gonna like.......as everyone has their own preference. I personally used straight soy for 1-1/2 years and hated working with it because some scents just don't throw well. I switched to a soy/paraffin blend and I'm much happier and so are my customers!!

As far as triple scenting......the standard for using a lot of FO's is 1/2 oz./lb. so triple scenting would be 1-1/2 oz./lb. which is about 9% and very typical for most scent usage. When a candle maker states they triple scent, it IMHO is a ploy and means squat!! We all use the amount we need to get a strong throwing candle. Some FO's you can get super strong throws at 1/2 oz./lb and some do require a full 1-1/2 oz./lb. It all depends on your FO's. Triple scenting can also mean that they layer 3 different scents in one candle.:D

Chris

Ok, mental note... never use that phrase again. I was just wondering and that's what I thought. By doing more and more research on the subject I know you can only incorporate so much FO until it starts leaking.

As for whenFO leaks well that will depend on the type of wax you are using. That you will have to check the recommendations for each wax!

Hi,

I like using EcoSoya's CB-135. It took awhile for me to work out all the kinks, but now that I have I love it. I think I've only had 2 or 3 scents that have leaked with it (usually at 1 1/2oz/lb), but I just used less scent or changed suppliers and it was fine.