I thought I'd seen it all,

If you don't hug the candle, it will develop those 'lips'....when that starts you can encourage it a little by pulling it outward then the weight of that wax will take it from there but you have to let the candle burn for a long time to get it going and you need to keep a close eye on it cause it can blow out if you don't tend it properly. Of course mine never looked quite as pretty as the ones in the pic!!

They must have it well thought out and have confidence that it's going to work without help, because they make this statement, "While there is no need for special instruction for burning our candles, it is essential to follow basic safety precautions when burning them."

About the only thing that they say is, "Keeping flame straight will promote symetrical blossom shape."

You would think with my user name I would think those are far out or groovy. :cool2: Well, I think I would like to see one in person just because it seems different but to be honest it isn't something I would purchase more than once. Old hippies conform to society and our taste change. I don't even like patchouli!

I'm actually afraid to show Erika how to do these, I know her and how she likes to play in wax. I'll ask her to test burn a candle and I'll come in a few hours later to double check and it's going to be looking like those.

I DO like them, however, the glow off of them is just amazing

I suppose there are those that would like those candles because they're different, but I think they're...well...hidious. I wouldn't want my candles peeling down the sides like a banana. No, those are not my thing at all.

Those people advertise in a publication I used when I had a retail store. I am an old hippie and we burned ALL of our candles like that. The way it is done is to use wax with a medium melt point and a small wick. It will tunnel that way. We used to burn them for a few hours and then gently touch the edges to help it along. They didn't spill if you didn't bend them too much. I don't do them like that anymore. I like plain round candles the best. I use to make huge star candles that weighed 7 pounds that foliated. I have a picture somewhere of one that just started foliating. It really got some cool snakes going. I sold a lot of them. An upscale restaurant bought them for years.... Unfortunately I left all of my large star molds in Virginia. Pourette made them for me. Oh well. I had them made in sets of 3 in graduating sizes.....they have my medium pattern too.:embarasse

Donita

Just found the star candle in an old eBay file. So here it is.

post-248-139458429186_thumb.jpg

post-248-139458429189_thumb.jpg