County Fairs

fmsojka

Has anyone done a County Fair? We have signed up for two of them, inside. We have done craft shows for a while, we are wondering what to expect. Both fairs are well attended. We are doing the fairs back to back, so need to get inventory ready. We are doing a very large farm progress show about two months later, so we are hoping that what is left over can be sold then. Of course, I would love the problem of having to make it all over again because we sold out at the fairs.

We do bath and body products, candles, and air fresheners. Any tips?

Thanks

I do not want to discourage you because you may be in a better location and have much more attendance. Last year I went to the county fair in Green County which is in Pa. My mom was living about 2 miles from there. I set up a cute country looking stand with tarts and container candles. My spot cost 125.00. It was very small said 8x10 but after you add two tables and a candle stand not much room let me tell ya. I was in one of their buildings with other vendors. Luckily there wasn't anybody else selling candles or I really would have been screwed. I made 40.00 my first night and i made even less the night after that. What upset me was the fair started on a Friday night and ended the following Saturday but we could not set up until Sunday afternoon and then no one was to buy anything until Monday afternoon. I mean we missed the first three days of the thing. Anyway me and my husband sell swords and daggers as well. Those were popular with the teens and younger adults. It wasn't until the weekend we actually stated to make a little money. I sold about 300.00 in candles and 350.00 in swords and daggers. Some people didn't even know what a tart was. If I were to do it again I would choose a better location and carry some tart burners. If it is a well known fair with lots of people than i would go for it. Only reason i did that particular one was because it was close to my mothers house so i did not have to drive back and forth and i never saw people selling candles there. All and all it wasn't worth it for me not for a whole week. Anyway good luck and hope you do great.

I was signed up to do a fair and pulled out because I realized that sales would be horrible. People go to the fairs to let their kids ride to rides and to eat. They do not want to be carrying packages around all day:undecided . Your best sales will be when people are about to leave the fairgrounds. That's when they will go through the craft displays and buy. But be aware that fairs are mostly about food, rides, animals and kids.

Still, that being said, I hope you do well and sell a great deal of product.:wink2:

Fire

I prepared a wholesale account in 2004 for a small business that wanted to sell my candles at our local fair (Fulton County Ohio). Yippee for me :yay: His order was quite large. He had a wonderful location and display area BUT he only sold 14 candles in an entire week. I felt bad for him but was glad that I had signed wholesale account requirement papers. Three years later - he is still selling my candles.

My advice is not to do county fairs. We did two years ago. Each was four days long. At each I wondered why there were so few craft vendors. Found out why. County fairs are not like craft shows or small town events. Different crowd. We did OK, but not considering they were four day shows. I suppose they could be good.

Am I the only one who thinks they're great exposure?

We do one and have for the past three years or so. Then again it's our way of getting ready for the fall/winter, every weekend run. I think a county fair is a great way to dust off the cobwebs.

Then again, depends on where they set you up I suppose.

Wow, that doesn't sound like anyone has had very good luck with them. We had friends that did tupperware at the fairs and did very well. I guess we will see. We are in Iowa, and the fairs are a pretty big deal yet. But then, I don't remember ever looking through the crafts myself.

Our retail is so slow right now, and we are hoping for exposure. But then again, hoping for sales too. It is so much work. And of course wondering how much stuff to make up. We have three total, two fairs and a trade show like thing that is very large, about 40,000. So hopefully can get rid of stuff, if we make a bunch up.

Thanks for the input.

I think it really depends on the fair, maybe even area. I obviously haven't sold anything at fairs, but I helped run my mom's booth for the store she managed in Georgia, and the fair south of Macon had a HUGE area for local stores and home crafters and there were tons of people in there buying up stuff. Actually, come to think of it - we bought candles from there! :D

This fair though is absolutely crazy, and it's more than rides and a few tables, it's on huge grounds and they also do craft judging and livestock judging as well.

I'd think, that you might want to check out what exactly is going on there - if it's just rides and games a few tables, or a whole expo type of thing.

Am I the only one who thinks they're great exposure?

We do one and have for the past three years or so. Then again it's our way of getting ready for the fall/winter, every weekend run. I think a county fair is a great way to dust off the cobwebs.

Then again, depends on where they set you up I suppose.

Yes I 100% agree Great exposure if you know where to go and what to expect. Sometimes you have take a chance. The first year we had Mia Bella close by and their tactics of selling didn't impress me at all. Yet we did OK despite their BS. Our booth grows every year and the surrounding vendors have taken notice. I have seen several of them in the past month or so and they all ask if we will be back. I tell em we will be there and looking forward to another exciting fair.

We just did a show this past weekend where several repeat customers stopped by and purchased again. I had 1 gal remember what she had bought at the county fair last year and so looooooved her candle. She was ready to purchase the same scent again till I pointed out that we had new fragrances out on the shelf. Lo and below she got excited after enchanting her nose and purchase 2 new scents. Said she would come back at the fair and buy her original scent. Go figure.

As the ole saying says "1 picture is worth a thousand words". You never know "1 timely promotional exposure could be worth more than you will ever know" but not if you don't try.

Good luck

Thanks for all the input. It has been helpful. We are rethinking what we are preparing.

We do need exposure, and these fairs are both about 30 minutes away from us. We leave one and go directly to the other one. It is a lot of money, way more than we would normally spend, but we need to get attention from outside areas.

We make a wide variety of products, I don't think we are going to do wax products. I don't see how people can keep them all day, I would think they would melt if they bought them earlier in the day. Especially if they put them in a really hot car. I am hoping the stuff we take is unusual enough that people might be intrigued. If not, another lesson learned.

I will try to remember to let everyone know how it went. They aren't until the end of July.

I am on my 3rd show this spring/summer. I keep looking for more but would not do the fair. I do see businesses such as real estate etc awning but not much crafts. Where I live we have the biggest craft show in Sept and then people sign up. Also every 2nd week of the month is the flea market. I don't set up but would like to do a farmers market somewhere. Looking into that.When I take my grandkids to the fair it is so expensive. Almost $40 and that doesn't include if they want pop etc. It is to busy with the rides, games and displays and not enough time for people browse candles etc.At our fair people who do displays/business booths are under the bleachers and believe me when Demolition Derby is there they have to close. Way to much noise and they do that 2 times the week of our fair. Then another loud thing is entertainment. Always big well known singers at our fair. Just not a place for crafters.LynnS