Do you ever get the impression...

CrystalClear

that us gel candle makers are looked down upon?? Sometimes I get the feeling that we are. Hard to explain :undecided I know gel isn't as popular as it once was with candle makers, but it's still popular with my customers.

Do you think it's because so many other waxes have popped up? Or because of those nasty "exploding" rumors?

Thoughts?

I think most people consider gel more of a novelty candle than a real candle. So in a way we are look down on. People like to look at what we do with them but most look at them like dust collector and some thing they will never burn. It doesn't seem to matter that we have come up with ways to both enjoy the candle and keep it forever too.

The people I know definitely think of them as novelties, and a lot of them won't burn them. I've also had friends raise their eyebrows and relate the "exploding" stories to me.

I get some pretty strange requests for "scenery" gel candles. A few burn the preserve jars and pies, but very few will burn the seascapes. I never thought about it as being looked down upon.

See, that's why I converted almost all of my gel "scene" candles to forever candles so they could burn them. I still have to "educate" some customers when I hear "Oh, those are pretty, but I would never burn em" YES you CAN!

Funny thing is, my customers that buy the pie candles, burn those no problem. LOL Weird people I tell ya!

i Came upon this article shortly after reading this question, i think as a result of information like this, and presented in a way as to be factual, it makes consumers worry, not to mention making Chandlers nervous to work with Gel.

http://reviews.ebay.com/A-Buyer-apos-s-Guide-to-Understanding-Candle-Wax-Types_W0QQugidZ10000000000047348

I think most people consider gel more of a novelty candle than a real candle. So in a way we are look down on. People like to look at what we do with them but most look at them like dust collector and some thing they will never burn. It doesn't seem to matter that we have come up with ways to both enjoy the candle and keep it forever too.

I so agree with this!!! I tell people to burn them....they say "no, they are too pretty!"

But I will say I get more request for gels for gifts than parrafin wax. They will burn the parrafin