Black soot in wax

I took everyone's advice and double wicked my 4" apothecary jar. I actually like the look :) I got the melt pool to go all the way to the edges but after I blew out the wicks and it hardened, I noticed black soot in the wax. I am using C3 and tried both the LX 14 and LX 16 wicks. Does this mean I am burning too hot? Thanks for all of your help!!:smiley2:

The blowing to put out the flame may have contributed to the soot you saw. I have always been told to slightly dip the wick back into the melted wax. I know that when I do blow the flame out there is a smoke for a while and that does get on the containers. Is it just in your wax or also on your containers?

I'd be interested in hearing replies on this issue too. I thougth for awhile maybe it was my dye, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

I don't show soot in all the candles... it's not existant in some, quite a bit in others and then just a little in other candles.

I do know there was one candle that had quite a bit of soot in the wax when it rehardened... and that particular candle had burned all day, never got trimmed because I kept getting side tracked with clients and it had quite a big flame by the time I got to it.

These are also 4" apothocary jars, double wicked with CD8s. CD8 are about as small as I can go and there's still a touch of cling to the sides... when I used smaller, didn't even come close to getting a melt pool all the way to the sides.

Kim

I've also wicked these jars with HTP 104, 44-28-18c, CD8 and CD10.

HTP 104 burns wicked hot and just eats away at the wax.

CD 10 burns a bit slow, but not by much.

44-28-18c & CD 8 give a nice even burn, good even wax consumption without being a hog like the HTP104s and they burn right to the edge 97% or catch up after the 2nd or 3rd burn.

But I have some soot with all of them

Kim

I didn't get any soot on the container itself - just in the wax. Has anyone had customers complain about this? I guess I feel a little embarrassed to have it do this but I am glad to see it is not just me!

Maybe I should try the CD wicks - are they the same as the CDN wicks?

Thanks!!:smiley2:

Thanks Henry... I have one of my candles burning that I poured the other day and not more than 10 minutes ago did I contemplate wicking down again to see what would happen. The candle burning now is burning great... I walked through the houe and looked at all the candles I've had testing at some point... one has no soot and one has so little I had to really look for it. It's that one at the store that really bothers me, it's the first one I've had that is just loaded. BTW... all three jars I've mentioned are the same size and shape and all 3 have had a different experience.

Kimberly