Questions about candles

What type of glass jar to use for wickless candles? How long do i need to let the wax cure if i add Eo/Fo? What type of wax is better for the wickless jars? How much to charge for these? Lets say 16oz? Can you recommend a good website where i could purchase a starter kit with jar candles, from there i can omit the wick? Thank you

Stacey

As far as how much you should charge for them - my suggestion would be NOTHING - not for a long time anyway

I won't even give mine to anyone yet much less sell them - even tarts or wickless - I am nowhere near the point where where I feel I could begin to sell - It will take you quite a lot of work and a lot of testing before you are able to turn out a candle that is SAFE and of a quality to be sold

Some may disagree with me, but my personal opinion is that even wickless or tarts aren't just buy some wax and add FO and start selling

Basically i agree with you on sales. i don't think i want to get into selling anything at all. It takes time, stress, testing, and mostly i am not interested in being sued. I love the tarts and the wickless jar candles. So basically I am making them for myself.

What are the best wax to use then?

As far as how much you should charge for them - my suggestion would be NOTHING - not for a long time anyway

I won't even give mine to anyone yet much less sell them - even tarts or wickless - I am nowhere near the point where where I feel I could begin to sell - It will take you quite a lot of work and a lot of testing before you are able to turn out a candle that is SAFE and of a quality to be sold

Some may disagree with me, but my personal opinion is that even wickless or tarts aren't just buy some wax and add FO and start selling

To tell you the truth, I don't think you have to do a whole lot of testing if you're making wickless candles and tarts. You just want to make sure you use the right amount of FO and pour your wax at the right temp. You've got little to fear since none of them will ever be lit. So if you want to sell them, I don't see what the problem would be...unless they weren't strong enough...then know one would ever buy another one.

To tell you the truth, I don't think you have to do a whole lot of testing if you're making wickless candles and tarts. You just want to make sure you use the right amount of FO and pour your wax at the right temp. You've got little to fear since none of them will ever be lit. So if you want to sell them, I don't see what the problem would be...unless they weren't strong enough...then know one would ever buy another one.

I agree with Fern on this one. As far as selling and how much, here is a basic formula that I use.. Calculate the cost of your wax per lb, container's each, wicks each, and cost of your FO per lb and the cost of any additives you use. You can also factor in cost of color, but that is really hard to do sometimes.... Anway, total up all of those, and that is your cost per candle.. then just mark em up to what you feel is fair, or I think its a multiple of 3. but I could be wrong and if I am, im sure there is someone who knows for sure... HTH :cheesy2:

In my melts or clamshells I use 25% container wax and 75% pillar/votive wax and set them in baby food jars or flower pot votive. In my wicklelss I use container wax in baby food jars (cause I get them from my neice) for my own use and small canning jars or 6 oz tins for those that I sell or give away. The tins get very hot but the wax melts faster and gives great throw.

Don't forget your warning lables.

Cost would be like wv said, approx 3 times cost or what ever the going rate is in your market. You'd need to do reserach on that.

If no one else sells them then you'd have to educate people on the advantages of wickless. Most people are not aware of wickless candles or melts and how great the are. I have one going all day in my office and that's my advertisment and best selling tool. :D

I was under the understanding it was 4 x cost for retail and 2 x cost for wholesale.

I have a retail store, and I will not buy from someone that I can not keystone (double) the price of their product. And if they are also selling their product retail and are selling it for under what my keystone mark up would be...I don't buy from them. It makes me look like I'm price gouging, when this is truly just standard practice...so I just stay away...there are plenty of peeps out there that follow my rule of thumb and I buy from them. I've been doing it for going on 15 years...it's worked so far. JMPO ;)

Stacy

Sun i let dh take one of my warmer and some tarts to his work place to a friend, that was my advertisment, other workers wanted them but i just been testing my wicks and wouldn't make for tarts or wickless for others, i gave the guy the tarts first ... he says how am i going melt them LOL! yes a lot of people don't know about warmers. Scrubbzzz , i won't sell my container candles yet, but i really don't know how i could test or make my tarts and wickless candles any more safe. i'm putting a note in all mine to warn people not to touch while still hot and etc..

What type of glass jar to use for wickless candles? How long do i need to let the wax cure if i add Eo/Fo? What type of wax is better for the wickless jars? How much to charge for these? Lets say 16oz? Can you recommend a good website where i could purchase a starter kit with jar candles, from there i can omit the wick? Thank you

OK - maybe I'm wrong here (it happens a lot ya know!)

Before I posted my original response I read the original post which I have pasted above and I assumed a few things from what I read

It seemed to me from the post she had never made a wickless candle nor a wicked one before as she is asking the Q's she asked - what wax, what jar, cure time and even where to buy a kit from

asking How much to charge for something when you have never made it before and do not even know where to start is getting just a wee bit ahead of yourself in my opinion

Again, I am pretty much of a newbie myself so I will definately bow to the experience here on the board in most everything

But it just seems strange to me as new as I am that I am seeing people wanting to sell before they even begin to make - There are even people here putting up websites to sell candles who are a LOT newer than me

I dunno - it just isn't something I would personaly do

And nope - I am still not even going to GIVE AWAY anything I make - including tarts or wickless candles before I have tested, tested and tested some more and have convinced myself that not only is it completely safe but that it is the very best I can possibly make

That's just me though

OK -

But it just seems strange to me as new as I am that I am seeing people wanting to sell before they even begin to make - There are even people here putting up websites to sell candles who are a LOT newer than me

I dunno - it just isn't something I would personaly do

And nope - I am still not even going to GIVE AWAY anything I make - including tarts or wickless candles before I have tested, tested and tested some more and have convinced myself that not only is it completely safe but that it is the very best I can possibly make

That's just me though

Good point Mark, I don't sell anything with wick either, even thought I've tested and tested and have had others test and test also. I'm not certain that I'm ready to sell them. I do sell wickless and melts ( :D ) because I use them every day and I know they are good and in safe jars or tins and of course with the warnings all over.

Ok, I'm going to toss my 2 cents in the pot too.

Granted, wickless candles and tarts don't need near as extensive testing as wicked candles, they do need tested. Now if you've made container candles a lot and have a good wax you're familiar with, it would cut down the amount of testing alot. For someone who has never made candles, they will need to test waxes for the best scent throw, like any other candle. Not to mention the containers/jars. If they're canning jars, they would be fine with heat. Other containers should be tested. The may not resist heat and/or be too thin, just as in making container candles.

Ok, I'm done.. I think :D

selling a candle with the wick in it is scarey for me, i 'm like sun i am happy with my tarts & wickless and have given them away to my kids. friends and even make some up for dh's fire dept. and i want to sell just to get a little $$ back now, i have been burning tarts for a year that i make, but my wicked candles i'm just not ready to sell them. they do fine for me because i watch them & trim. i don't know that if someone buys them would do that.