Summer Seepage & Flashpoints

I made some soy jars the other day and I really try to avoid using a lot of electricity, so I don't run my AC unless it's dire. Yesterday it was above 90. I had my candles in the cupboard and went to check on them. Sure enough they started getting a little melty and the FO was seeping. Of course I know that I have to keep the house cooler, but my question is:

I know this happens to a lot of ppl in the hotter months. I've read that the solution is to just let the FO seep back in, wipe it up, or heat gun it. If FO is not mixed in properly with the wax, doesn't that pose a fire hazard because of the FO flash point? So if the FO did seep out and I heat gunned, isn't the candle ""not right" anymore? Hope this makes sense! ~TY :tongue2:

:rolleyes2I hope I am understanding you.

OK 1st , soy is a hard wax to get to absorb FO anyways.

If you use to much FO it will seep. It can also make your wick to wet, therefore causing it to go out, or have a very small flame.

In order for you FO to pose a fire hazard you would have to have a high constant heat directly on the FO (say a constant 200 deg. or higher). Most flashpoints on FO are very high. When I first started using soy I over scented a candle with way to much FO, and still burned it. It burned all I had to deal with was a little extra smoke (yuck)

As far as the candle melting/ or getting moist do to lack of cool air, do you have a basement or crawl space area you could place them in. Other then that the candle will still burn fine even if it melts and resets. You may just have heat gun it and smooth it out again. Hope this wasn't to long, and that it answered at least some of your concerns.

Hmmmmm.............several of my candles have been outside in my hotter than heck sunroom the past couple of weeks, and even burned out there in the heat and none of them seeped or melted. I use the oh so soft 4627 which you would think would be melty. So, I guess I don't understand how that could happen..........:confused:

:rolleyes2I hope I am understanding you.

OK 1st , soy is a hard wax to get to absorb FO anyways.

If you use to much FO it will seep. It can also make your wick to wet, therefore causing it to go out, or have a very small flame.

In order for you FO to pose a fire hazard you would have to have a high constant heat directly on the FO (say a constant 200 deg. or higher). Most flashpoints on FO are very high. When I first started using soy I over scented a candle with way to much FO, and still burned it. It burned all I had to deal with was a little extra smoke (yuck)

As far as the candle melting/ or getting moist do to lack of cool air, do you have a basement or crawl space area you could place them in. Other then that the candle will still burn fine even if it melts and resets. You may just have heat gun it and smooth it out again. Hope this wasn't to long, and that it answered at least some of your concerns.

Oh no, I know I'm not overdoing the FO. It's def the heat, my house gets really hot even if it's 70 outside.

But what I'm saying is... if the FO seeped out and then you heat gun it back to norm, it's not really mixed back in with the wax and the heat from the flame could post the threat of the FO flashpoint.

Am I making any sense here?

You know, I think I would melt them back down and re-mix and re-pour. Seepage is usually not enough mixing or too much fo. Using the heat gun isn't going to fix the problem. But, then I don't even use a heat gun and simply don't understand the need for one :confused: but hey, I'm old!

Wait until it cools down a bit and see if the weepage is reabsorbed. If there's a lot, you might want to just absorb it with a paper towel then clean your container edges real well. I don't think a heat gun will do you much good, but you could always try.

I don't think it's just FO that seeps out. I've had it happen, but I don't think flash point would be a large concern because it's not pure FO seeping. It also seems to happen more on my newer candles, so maybe cure time has something to do it.

Wait until it cools down a bit and see if the weepage is reabsorbed. If there's a lot, you might want to just absorb it with a paper towel then clean your container edges real well. I don't think a heat gun will do you much good, but you could always try.

I don't think it's just FO that seeps out. I've had it happen, but I don't think flash point would be a large concern because it's not pure FO seeping. It also seems to happen more on my newer candles, so maybe cure time has something to do it.

Thank You! :)

Hi Silver,

Some waxes are more inclined to have this happen. And, certain oils (depending on the % used) are more inclined to seep in very hot conditions in the waxes that can have this issue. I don't have this problem much with my soy, but I recently noticed that the soy/paraffin blend I am using in another line has had the same issue you are experiencing. I did not experience this wax bleeding last year, because I did not have it in VERY warm conditions. I had some sweating (wax properties sweating) though when they went from my very cold/cool shop into a warmer environment. This year I have had some of my blend candles in VERY warm conditions, and I had some FO bleeding (appears to be the ones with the thicker oils). I hate this. :( They were mixed WELL. I am in the process of seeing if I can add something to this blend to help with the problem. I can try lowering the FO in the wicked candles, but I do not want to lower the amount of FO in the wickless candes. So, for now, I am using another wax that I have used for my limited addition candles in the wickless candles and trying to figure out what I can do with the bleeding with the blend -- in very warm/hot conditions. My shop is always very cool to cold, and cool enough in the summer. So, I do not have a problem here, but I can't count on the blend candles if they are in the hands of someone else with very warm conditions. If I can't get it fixed, I may have to discontinue using the blend. Even if there isn't a risk factor, I do not like the look of it. I did test a few candles with the bleeding puddles and I did not have a burning problem, but I do not like taking chances.....you never know.

I hope you get it figured out. If I get it worked out, I will let you know how I fixed the problem.

~Holly :)

Edited to add: The bleeding in the wickless candles does not pose a hazard since there is no flame, but I do not like the look of it -- messes up the pretty tops.