Strange "visitor" on my website..help please?

Ok, for my website, it tracks visitors and their IP addresses and tells me what pages/products they were looking at. Basically, their activity. I took my shopping cart/products off line right now because there is this one IP address that keeps looking at my website today. I'm talking, 7x today, and a total of 900+ pages. They are looking at EVERYTHING! I know how to look up an IP address and get a ballpark of where they are located (doesn't usually work tho). And they "looked" at 200+ pages after I took it offline. They should have been getting the "website is down for maintenance" message. So, not sure what's up with that?

Is anyone IP address savy? Has anyone experienced this? Here's the IP address...it's coming up as "Unkown" 208.99.195.54

DH thinks someone is "phishing"???? I don't know what to do!

Search results for: 208.99.195.54

OrgName: SWIFT VENTURES Inc

OrgID: SWIFTV

Address: 2001 Sixth Avenue

Address: Suite 2222

City: Seattle

StateProv: WA

PostalCode: 98121

NetRange: 208.99.192.0 - 208.99.223.255

CIDR: 208.99.192.0/19

NetName: SWIFTV-3RDBLOCK-2005

NetHandle: NET-208-99-192-0-1

Parent: NET-208-0-0-0-0

NetType: Direct Allocation

NameServer: NS1.SWIFTCO.NET

NameServer: NS2.SWIFTCO.NET

Comment:

RegDate: 2006-01-24

Updated: 2006-06-27

OrgAbuseHandle: HG234-ARIN

OrgAbuseName: Goss, Henry

OrgAbusePhone: +1-206-728-2736

OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@swiftco.net

OrgTechHandle: ABU30-ARIN

OrgTechName: bunjamin, andry

OrgTechPhone: +1-866-794-3826

OrgTechEmail: andry@swiftco.net

I also tried to do a trace route of this IP but it times out after it gets to the "swift server".

:laugh2: Crystal, I did several searches. SOMETHING is fishy with this IP address but I was able to track it to mean that it is coming out of Washington, whoever or whatever it is lol.

More than likely it is a spider but considering I couldn't do a ping, trace route to see where this IP takes me from my IP, and that several look ups produced an unknown IP address it makes me go hmmm lol

Just keep an eye on it. Should it happen again, you can report it as an abused IP. Internet providers to take the reports serious. When my son was 14 he learned to "hack". I had no idea until my internet provider contacted me with a "warning" and one more "warning" was grounds for removal of my inernet service. Needless to say, my son wasn't allowed on the computer for quite a while after that lol.

We had a similar thing happen about a month ago. Two very close IP addresses went through EVERY page on our site in a matter of about 35 minutes. About a week later we started getting calls from a company called Internet Advancement. They wanted $3000 up front and $129.95 a month to do SEO work on our site. I told them where to go with that and then did a little Google searching on them. Turns out they are a bit of a scam and have many complaints.

I would be more than a little cautious if you get any similar calls soon.

Here is what I found out about Swift Ventures Inc.

From http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_9l1n7

"

Swift Ventures Inc (Swift Desk)

6010 27th Ave Ne, Seattle, WA 98115-7112, United States (map)

Phone: (206) 854-4436

Also Does Business As:Swift Desk

URL:www.swiftdesk.com, www.traffictrader.net

SIC:Computer Processing and Data Preparation and Processing Services

Line of Business:Web Hosting/Servicing & Computer Consulting"

Company Profile: Swift Ventures Inc

Year Started:2000

State of Incorporation:WA

URL:www.swiftdesk.com, www.traffictrader.net

Location Type:Single Location

Stock Symbol:N/A

Stock Exchange:N/A

Also Does Business As:Swift Desk

NAICS:N/A

SIC #Code:7374

Est. Annual Sales:$200,000

Est. Employees:3

Est. Employees at Location:3

Contact Name:Henry R Goss

Contact Title:President

Looks like someone I wouldn't talk to.

Hope that helps.

:laugh2: Crystal, I did several searches. SOMETHING is fishy with this IP address but I was able to track it to mean that it is coming out of Washington, whoever or whatever it is lol.

More than likely it is a spider but considering I couldn't do a ping, trace route to see where this IP takes me from my IP, and that several look ups produced an unknown IP address it makes me go hmmm lol

Just keep an eye on it. Should it happen again, you can report it as an abused IP. Internet providers to take the reports serious. When my son was 14 he learned to "hack". I had no idea until my internet provider contacted me with a "warning" and one more "warning" was grounds for removal of my inernet service. Needless to say, my son wasn't allowed on the computer for quite a while after that lol.

Jami, how do you trace these ip addy's?

A spider is a program / script that searches sites on the web and indexes them. It is usually used by search engines.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

"Many sites, in particular search engines, use spidering as a means of providing up-to-date data. Web crawlers are mainly used to create a copy of all the visited pages for later processing by a search engine that will index the downloaded pages to provide fast searches. Crawlers can also be used for automating maintenance tasks on a Web site, such as checking links or validating HTML code. Also, crawlers can be used to gather specific types of information from Web pages, such as harvesting e-mail addresses (usually for spam)."

If you (or anyone else for that matter) get calls from people about doing SEO, marketing, increasing traffic, etc., for your site, just make sure you tell them that first you're not interested, and two, to take you off their call list. I was getting enough of these calls that I even listed our business number on the Do Not Call registry. They don't usually check that before calling, but it does make it illegal for them to call you back if you tell them not to.

IMNSHO, any marketing company like this that has to make incredibly cold calls to get business, they're either not very good, or they're a scam. There are a LOT of very good companies to work with if you need help with your website, but they don't have to go searching for their customers. Their customers usually find them. Either through referrals, or their website through search engines. If they don't have good search engine rankings for themselves, then why in the world do you think they'll be able to help you with yours???

Sorry, these phone calls always irritate me. I usually get a half a dozen a month or so...

Alot of the companies that offer 'increased traffic', basically do a month 'trial', where they have systems crawl your site every so often, making it look like an increased traffic, but it's not really a human. Then they get you with a 3, 6, 9 or 12 month contract bill you, and blam - go out of business.

A popular tactic for the companies that claim thousands of hits a day/week/etc is very cheap spamming tactics. Basically turning your website into a pop up. Yes, people land on your site, but far from willingly. And if people start reporting you, your website will be a lot worse off than it originally was.