What size is this tin?

I purchased 12 shallow tins at a yard sale for a $1.00....yes, go me! :yay: Anyway, I'm trying to determine what ounce-size they are. The dimensions (without the lid) are: 3 1/2" across x 1 1/8" deep.

I'm thinking maybe 6oz.? Anyone know for sure....

Well, this is a popular saying around here....some of you should have it tatooed...

I thought your response was rude, It's not rocket science, and she gave you the best way to work it out, maybe you should thank her

I'd just fill them with water, then pour the water carefully into a pyrex graduated measuring cup, since tins are rated on fluid ounces, I think. That's how I figure the liquid volume of any mold...

Manufacturers may rate them in volume (fluid ozs), but a finished candle isn't liquid, but a solid wax weight. It tends to confuse new people if you start them off calculating in fl. oz....

I thought your response was rude, It's not rocket science, and she gave you the best way to work it out, maybe you should thank her

Well, I thought it was rude to tell me that my question basically didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out....we ask questions on here because we don't know the answer. Telling someone that "it's not rocket science" makes them (in this case, me) feel like an idiot.

I do appreciate her help, but the last part could have been left off...it was unnecessary.

It tends to confuse new people if you start them off calculating in fl. oz....

At the beginning is the best time for folks to learn the difference between liquid and dry measure if they don't already know!;)

When I purchase 6 oz. tins, for example, I am not gonna be filling them to the rim, so knowing they hold 6 fluid ounces of wax tells me that I can put 5 weighed ounces of wax in each one and still leave headroom within the tin. The difference between the weight of a fluid oz of wax and a weighed oz. of wax is pretty negligible, especially if you are doing only a dozen or so of 'em! The idea is to insure you will have enough wax to fill the tins. Having enough left over for one little scrawny sniffie isn't gonna hurt a fly. ;)

Heck, if one wanted to get ultra accurate about it, one would have to know the actual weight of the exact wax one was using, as the molecular weights differ.

Now that's rocket science! :D

Heck, if one wanted to get ultra accurate about it, one would have to know the actual weight of the exact wax one was using, as the molecular weights differ.

:P:laugh2:

I got enough to deal with, don't start speaking in tongues! (science)

....and that's the proper way to use this quote!! :cheesy2:

I'm not getting into all this mess.

If you look at the site I posted you will find that size to be 4 fluid oz's, so that would be approx. 3-3.5oz's of wax.

BTW - Why measure when you can find it like I did. If you understand wax, then you know the container measurement is most likely in fluid oz's, so it would hold less than that in wax.

Some people try to make things so complacated.

Some folks ARE new and perhaps don't have a solid background in cooking (from which most of us gleaned our knowledge of dry & liquid measure), so they ask questions that may seem obvious to more wizened folks.

Das okay - everybunny starts somewhere and everybunny does things a leedle differently. One thing for sure: number2of7 now has a BUNCH of good tips on how to figure this in the future. :)

Why measure when you can find it like I did

To be honest, it's one heckuva lot quicker for me to go in the kitchen and fill a container with water and measure it, than it is clicking all over a website (even one as organized as CT) to find the answer. See? Different strokes... ;)

It ain't like makin' homemade dynamite...:laugh2:

Some folks ARE new and perhaps don't have a solid background in cooking (from which most of us gleaned our knowledge of dry & liquid measure), so they ask questions that may seem obvious to more wizened folks.

Everyone should have learned this in school science classes, starting at an early age!!

Everyone should have learned this in school science classes, starting at an early age!!

Yeah, but once we learn it in grade school (mine wasn't science, it was math class), some of us don't apply it for a long time. By then, we've forgotten! :P

CRS disease, that's what my dad calls it. Let's just remember that CT is for learning. Thanks to everyone who contributed to that end.

Now, that calculator here

http://www.candletech.com/calculator/round.php?fst_num=3.5&snd_num=1&ans_num=0.22&ans_num=4

will give you a quick approximation. I left an eigth of an inch for headroom. You might need more.

Cheers,

Alan

I agree that CT is for learning, but it's not for people to ask questions before they try to work it out or to look it up on their own, I will help anyone at anytime and enjoy doing it, but I see no reason to answer questions for people that do not try to work it out on their own first, and this in no way is intened to be rude in anyway or to be directed at the starter of this thread or anyone who has answered in this thread.

I see no reason to answer questions for people that do not try to work it out on their own first...

I understand. Many of us have seen the similar questions posted multiple times here. The choice to participate or not in any given thread is always our own prerogative. I just didn't want to loose sight of fact that this site was established as a learning medium. What may seem elementary to some, may pose as an obstacle for someone else. I think we've all been on both sides of that equation. That's just the way it is.