Thoughts on Business Name

gmp

I have a potential name if/when I am ready to start selling (not there yet, but thinking things through). Well, I love the name Old Dominion Candles since I live in Virginia (Virginia is the Old Dominion State, fyi), BUT there is a company called Old Virginia Candle Company. Do you all think this would be a conflict or not? I really love the name I've chosen. Thanks.

ETA: Forgot to mention that many, many businesses use Old Domion in their name, such as Old Dominion Realty, Dominion Power, Old Dominion Brewery, etc...

Absolutely that's too close in naming. If their's is trademarked, they could and might sue for trademark infringement. True, there are lots of 'Old Dominion...' names, however seeing that you both make candles, that name is not going to fly.

I have a potential name if/when I am ready to start selling (not there yet, but thinking things through). Well, I love the name Old Dominion Candles since I live in Virginia (Virginia is the Old Dominion State, fyi), BUT there is a company called Old Virginia Candle Company. Do you all think this would be a conflict or not? I really love the name I've chosen. Thanks.

ETA: Forgot to mention that many, many businesses use Old Domion in their name, such as Old Dominion Realty, Dominion Power, Old Dominion Brewery, etc...

I love the name. I'd want to add a Co. after it though :) Old Dominion Candle Co. It has a really nice historical feel to it.

I should say that I tend to agree with arkangel though.. it's probably too close and would cause problems.. but check into it with someone who would know for sure. It's a great name.

I'm kind of confused. How is 'Old Dominion Candles' and 'Old Virginia Candle Company' similar? I can't see a trademark infringement. I'm not from VA. so I wouldn't mistake the two. Maybe that makes a difference?

Well, as it turns out, there already is an Old Dominion Candle Company out there, so the point is moot. I should have done my homework before posting, but to answer your question, Virginia's state motto is the Old Dominion State. We have Old Dominion University, and the Old Dominion name is well recognized here. So I thought it might be an issue if Old Virginia Candle Company thought it was trademark infringement. But I guess it would not be since the Old Dominion Candle Company is already out there.

I haven't done any research but what about Colonial Candles? Or something along those lines? I don't know if there is a company using though--you would have to check it out. You could also play on the Chesapeake Bay--lots of names you could take off that.

I haven't done any research but what about Colonial Candles? Or something along those lines? I don't know if there is a company using though--you would have to check it out. You could also play on the Chesapeake Bay--lots of names you could take off that.

Well Colonial is a pretty big CO.......

Old Virgin Candles :)

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Some others I came up with are

Virginia Commonwealth Candle Company or Shoppe

The Loudoun Candle Shoppe (I live in loudoun County)

The Old Georgetown Candle Shoppe or Company (the name of my town before it was changed)

Goose Creek CAndle Company (Goose Creek runs thru this area, I think its a bit boring though)

I looked into insurance today and really feel like I hit a brick wall. I"m not a risk-taker and had I known the potential for lawsuits, product liabililty, the expense, etc I may never have gone down this road to begin with, but here I am!

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Some others I came up with are

Virginia Commonwealth Candle Company or Shoppe

The Loudoun Candle Shoppe (I live in loudoun County)

The Old Georgetown Candle Shoppe or Company (the name of my town before it was changed)

Goose Creek CAndle Company (Goose Creek runs thru this area, I think its a bit boring though)

I like the sound of

Commonwealth Candles

The Loudoun Candle Shoppe

Old Georgetown Candles

Old Georgetown Scent Shoppe

The Essence of Dominion

The Essence of Old Virginia

The Essence of Loudoun

HTH!

i would go with Old Dominion Candle Co.

the other one is old virginia candle company right? I don't think thats too close with the names. Yours is Dominion the other is Virginia. check to see if the name is registered first and then go from there. If its registered already then you have to start over.

I wanted my shop to be called Lavish Lathers but that was taken so i put my name on there. (Veronica's lavish lathers) About 6 months after i was in business the "lavish lathers" closed down. sigh:mad:

But on the up side everyone knows my name when they come into my shop lol

• 4 weeks later...

Can you all indulge me one more time?

I'd like some feedback on the name I have chosen:

Loudoun Handpoured Candles

Loudoun is a well known name around here, I thought the name recognition was a plus. I added Handpoured because I wanted a word that reflected handmade, homemade, handcrafted, homey, crafty, etc. and thought that that would work. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have to offer! Should I add Company to the end? Not add Company on the end?

How does one know if a name is trademarked or not? I am sure their are alot of small businesses that actually carry the same name, and dont know it. Its exspensive just to have your state do a search to see if a name is trademarked or not. I actually have seen a couple sites where 2 or more sites are using the same name. Are they just able to do this cause maybe if the name isn't trademarked, then anyone may use the name???????:confused: