Wick inconsistencies

I usually order bags of 100 pretabbed wicks, I swear the same size can vary from bag to bag. Anyone else have this happen? Also I am finding I am wicking up quite a bit with my new JS oils, anyone else? I am curing and burning mojito and cosmopolitan. I have posted this before but they are great scents in pure soy.

Natalie

I haven't had my wicks vary from bag to bag but I have had them vary from one supplier to another. I ordered my usual wicks once from a different supplier and they seem to be a lower quality than what I was use to. The wicks have a coating and many of the wicks coating were cracked, broken or chip. The wicks were flimsy and bent. Plus they were packaged poorly. When I tested them they didn't burn like they normal should. I never ordered wicks from that supplier again. From that point on I just stuck to getting my wicks from one supplier. Sorry your having this problem. Do you have any of the same type of wicks left over from a previous order or supplier that you could do a test to compare with the current wicks?

Are you getting them from the same supplier each time? If so who do you get them from so we know to be careful too? If they are from the same supplier maybe it is time to buy your wicks from someone else who is more consistent.

Also are you having to wick up on your old oils too, or just the new ones?

Purple's idea of a comparison would be really good to do.

I just ran into ordering wicks from a different supplier and now I am getting entirely different results in my testing. One bag is from Lonestar and my new ones are from Peaks.

I haven't run into this before. I was just coming on here to ask how often this happens.

I hate to say this but I have some wicks from Peaks that are a horrible quality compared to others that I have used.

The ones I have from peaks are cracked, bent etc and I have to be REALLY careful trying to set my candle up.

I have a lady on ebay that I had bought wicks from for a while and her wicks were great. I need to stick with hers and not use anyone else for my standard CD and LX wicks.

Now that's odd, the ones I have from Peaks and Bittercreek are the best quality I've ordered. I never got any from them that were cracked and they were always packaged very carefully. The ones I mentioned above were from a different supplier and the wicks looked like they were just shoved in a zip lock bag. Almost like when you drop them all on the floor and just put them into bag when your in a hurry. Peaks and Bittercreeks were always arranged very nicely. Peaks has good customer service, I think if you let them know about the problem they would be help you out.

I hate to say this but I have some wicks from Peaks that are a horrible quality compared to others that I have used.

The ones I have from peaks are cracked, bent etc and I have to be REALLY careful trying to set my candle up.

I have a lady on ebay that I had bought wicks from for a while and her wicks were great. I need to stick with hers and not use anyone else for my standard CD and LX wicks.

I have also received cracked and bent wicks from a number of suppliers and I am debating tabbing my own so I can get nice straight wicks. Does anyone feel these damaged wicks affect the quality of the burn as well? I find they tend to tilt over in a good melt pool in a small jar. :undecided

I just ordered 200 from Peak and they were all bent near the tab because the bag was too small that they packaged them in. My orders from Candle Science never come that way, they are always nice and straight. Although the quality of the wick itself seems to be the same, its a PITA to straighten them when they are bent at the bottom.

I just ordered 200 from Peak and they were all bent near the tab because the bag was too small that they packaged them in. My orders from Candle Science never come that way, they are always nice and straight. Although the quality of the wick itself seems to be the same, its a PITA to straighten them when they are bent at the bottom.

Thanks for sharing-I will have to try some Candle Science wicks. I buy my wax from them too and very happy with their service so far. :yay:

I've had a couple batches of 'bad' wicks in the past few yrs from Cajun. The 1st time was shortly after Katrina & I questioned if any of their supplies had gotten wet. I've also had one bag not work & another bag be fine. I don't know the answer, but it sure takes the wind outta your sails (SALES) when find out you have stacks of candles that won't burn correctly. I have 7 batches of votives (6 votives per scent) that were waiting to test & they all have the same wick problem <grrrr>.

Susan.

I am wondereing if I got bags of lx's that were marked with the wrong size? What started my whole confusion was when I pulled out an 8 ounce tureen that I cured for a year and a half it was wicked with what I had in my notes as a lx 26, but it had a larger bottom tab. I did the exact same formula because that candle burned soooo good. Now that I have ordered lx 28's the tabs are bigger and after testing them in the tureen I got the same results with the 28's. Also had 3 bags of 24's put them in 3 different jj's and they were ordered at different times and 1 burned clean. The other two exact same size according to marked bag left hang up.

Its just sad because my friends and family see me rambling to myself about these wicks and they think im crazy.

Natalie