Presto Pot - UK

I have been searching and searching for Presto Pot in the UK but can't see anything like it. Need to get something bigger than a double boiler but don't want to spend hundres on melters.

Does anyone know of anything similar to a Presto Pot in the UK. Can a slow cooker be used?

A very confused Lisa

:confused:

morning :)

I read this and thought, what, is there really lol, then realised you were asking about one.

I thought about getting one, (ok, ok, I DREAM about getting one lol). Theres a lady on ebay that sells them, her hubby adapts them with a spigot. I think they are about $50 and $50 shipping. Is that roughly £50 total?

Aren't they plug in? Don't know about adapters and things. Depends how badly you want one. :rolleyes2

hi vicky xxx *waves*

We could do with a uk supplier ;)

Yep they are plug in was thinking of getting an adapter for one but then got to thinking would a slow cooker not work similar to the double boiler method. Just want something that will melt more wax so I can pour more than a pound or 2 of wax.

And yes if someone in the UK could supply them yippeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Cheers

Lisa

;)

isn't a presto pot, really just a pot with a temperature guage and timer on? Same principal maybe.

If you have one knocking around I'd give it a go :) I have one porringer but its quite small and two big metal jugs that go in saucepans, but then I'm not lucky enough to need to melt large quantities of wax at once.

If you haven't got one, try a local charity shop, they often have them

Hi Lisa :D

I usually get about 3-4 in a coul eof the pots which works out fine if I am just making some pillars.

If i'm making a big batch of votive candles, I usemy big stock pot which I bought from Argos, got 5 of them and they are great, then when all the wax has melted I just put it into the smaller jugs and pour away :cheesy2:

HTH

Vickyscotland

Hi Vicky,

Do you melt the wax directly on the heat? I use the double boiler (which I agree makes one god almighty mess).

And Yvette I might just head down to the charity shops and see what I get. I know you can't control the heat but I suppose you can't control the heat when you are making them on the cooker either!

Cheers

Lisa

:)

Hi Lisa

yeah just melt it directly on the heat but u have to kep an eye on the temp, a jam making thermometer is best for this as it gives a good reading and it has a clip that can clip onto the side of the pot.

When i first started I had a double boiler but only used it a couple of times, I also went to charity shops and bought pots and pans and they were handy for storing left over wax.

HTH

Vickyscotland

I got two lovely big metal (maybe aluminium) jugs from a carboot for 25p each.

I'm always scouring charity shops lol.

I have a massive metal pot my dad got me, dunno how I'd use that for wax, so I use it as a water bath :) Its supposed to be for jam I think.

When I have spare wax, I pour it into a tray, chunk it and store in bags, labelled up. The trays from tescos cumberland pies are ideal hehe

presto pots work a treat. However, you need a power transformer to be able to run it, and it has to be a POWERFUL transformer - which can cope with up to 1,500 watts. These are £80 minimum.

I have 5 presto pots and a transformer for each. I already blew up a presto pot trying to use an underpowered transformer. You can find the transformer on www.beststuff.co.uk look under voltage convertors, and the one you need is Power Bright VC1500.

If you want to make candles seriously, you need equipment like this as you have complete control over the temperatures - I personally would melt my wax over direct heat or in a double boiler as you have to stand over it constantly with a thermometer - if you're not careful with temperatures your candles won't smell if you add the scent too cool or too hot. I love my presto - i stick the wax on, leave it to melt and use it - never a thermometer in sight after the initial tests and a dab of nail varnish on the dial for the perfect temps.

Nat

cor blimey' date=' thats more than the presto pot itself nat :(

any uk manufacturers reading this lol[/quote']

I know. was most upset when I got my first ever presto pot, blew it up and realised I'd have to spend a fortune running them.

oh and BTW. Slow cookers do not work - they're not hot enough .