Spill over

I am new to the boards, but have been trying to make decent candles for a while. My only problem is, when I burn the candle I still have to deal with spill overs. I am using the appropriate wick size, or at least the recommended size. I don't know if this is a problem that I can correct but if it is, I would love to know how.

Thanks,

Hope

mostly parafin, with 1 tbsp per lb of wax of universal additive. I haven't got around to buying pre blended. I thought that it would be cheaper using additives. I just need to know, can that be prevented. Even store bought candles some times spill over.

Hope

Straight parafin? I don't know, I buy it at a store. The name brand is called Crafty Candles. It doesn't say preblended or if you need to add additives or anything. I have tried different formulas with it to see if I could find one that works. I don't recall the formulas. I do know that I used universal additive, vybar 103, nd stearic acid. Not all together, I know. I used them all alone, and then I know that I used the vybar and the stearic acid together in one, but I don't remember how much I used of them, because none of them seemed to work.

Hope

If it's wicked correctly, it wont spill over. Too large a wick, uncentered or crooked wick are usually the problem. Barring burning conditions such as sitting in a draft or on an eneven surface, etc..

Recommendations are general, simply a starting point. If there were an exact size wick for a specific size candle, it would be so much easier. A shared fantasy among most all candle makers...LOL.

The type of wax, exact melt point of the wax, which additives and how much, which FO (different scents, different suppliers), how much FO... all this and more determine which wick to use.

Straight parafin? I don't know, I buy it at a store. The name brand is called Crafty Candles. It doesn't say preblended or if you need to add additives or anything. I have tried different formulas with it to see if I could find one that works. I don't recall the formulas. I do know that I used universal additive, vybar 103, nd stearic acid. Not all together, I know. I used them all alone, and then I know that I used the vybar and the stearic acid together in one, but I don't remember how much I used of them, because none of them seemed to work.

Hope

I would suggest ordering wax from a candle supplies place. With anything resembling a typical paraffin for pillars I think it would be very unlikely for a 3 inch diameter candle to blow out with a 2/0 or 1/0 square braid. If you want to try wicking this particular wax you'll have to experiment with other sizes, or it might be worth trying to throw in a very high proportion of stearic acid if you have it lying around and see what that does.

Hope

That is Hobby Lobby wax, which is just a straight paraffin, similiar to 1343. It is also a good wax to blend with.

When the candle flows over, is the wick fairly small? Sometimes you need a larger wick to consume the melted wax. I would try a #1 square or #30 flat ply.

Sorry this was posted twice. Don't know what happened and can't seem to delete it.

When the candle flows over, is the wick fairly small. sometimes you need a larger wick to consume the melted wax. I would try a #1 square or #30 flat ply.

You would wick UP when a pillar is doiung this? Wont that make the melt pool even larger, the walls thinner and therefore cause the blowout even faster?

I've heard this recommendation for tapers, but not pillars...