Suggestions for first time candles...

Hi there,

I'm mamabird, been hanging around for a while but never posted.

I am a soapmaker and everyones been after me to start making candles.

What kind of candle do you suggest for a newbie? Votive, etc? Whats the easiest? Whats the best? What sells well? There's so many decisions. How about soy candles? They seem to be pretty popular. Where do I start? I guess right here, huh? And will soap scents work in candles as well? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi there,

I'm mamabird, been hanging around for a while but never posted.

I am a soapmaker and everyones been after me to start making candles.

What kind of candle do you suggest for a newbie? Votive, etc? Whats the easiest? Whats the best? What sells well? There's so many decisions. How about soy candles? They seem to be pretty popular. Where do I start? I guess right here, huh? And will soap scents work in candles as well? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Some of these are choices you will really have to make for yourself. Like what sells for me, might not sell for you. What kind of candle you want to make. Some will say start with votives but I think votives are a PITA and were harder to get the wicking down IMO than containers. I don't make pillars so would not recommend that based on me but others might. I would suggest reading as much as you can, determine what kind of wax you want to use - soy or paraffin, what kind of candle - then find a supplier nearest you to save on shipping and purchase a starter kit and dive in. If you need help, there are lots of folks here to help you. Once you start to make candles, you might decide to stick with the wax you started with or try others since you will have a better understanding of the candle making process and what you are really wanting to make. You might also want to try making other types of candles. In other words, be prepared to fund another addiction. But it is all good and it is so much fun. :) Good luck.

I don't know about selling, but when testing out new fragrances and waxes, I generally make 3x4 pillars because I burn them in the bathroom while I take a bath. Those are best for me. Votives might seem easier to practice with, but I haven't found that to be true, then I don't know what in the world to do with them.

Soy candles and I aren't getting along so much right now, so I'm trying to ignore my 50 pound box.

Kelly

Hi and welcome. Candle making like soap making can be very addictive.

To start with, I suggest buying a kit. I started with a container kit. Just pick a supplier who is close to you and go for it.

Some of your fragrance oils will probably work with candles. They should either say on the bottle or the suppliers website.

Votives are not easy. 3x4 pillars are easier for me.

I started with soy...you need to figure out what brand you want to buy. Then after I got it figured out, I went to palm. I really like the palm wax.

Now I am working on gel wax.

Just pick a starting project...get it down...then move on.

Votives are probably not where you want to start. Is started with pillars but, I think containers are much easier to make. I love making containter candles. You do not have to unmold the darn things. :) Oh and, tealites are a PITA too, I hate making those.

Welcome Mamabird.

As a newbie, I started with a votive kit from Cajun Candles (paraffin) ... and I'm glad I did (I always suggest starting with a kit). After feeling confident with votives, I moved on to jars ... I tested 100% pure soy, then KY125, and now I use a 50/50 soy blend. You just have to test to see what you like working with.

For me, 8oz square mason jars sell best. My customers love them. I also sell tarts, votives & grubby pillars. Cinnamon buns are a big hit during the holidays.

I buy some fo's that can be used in soap, so I guess it's ok the other way around. However, I don't use essential oils for my candles. There are many great fo suppliers ... the best way to choose is to do your homework and read this board to find information about suppliers and/or different fo's ... and don't hesitate to ask questions.

If you choose to use soy, I would suggest to buy your fo's from a supplier who tests their oils in soy. I would also suggest to check out suppliers in your area, shipping can be very expensive.

Hope this helps.

Hi and welcome. Candle making like soap making can be very addictive.

To start with, I suggest buying a kit. I started with a container kit. Just pick a supplier who is close to you and go for it.

Some of your fragrance oils will probably work with candles. They should either say on the bottle or the suppliers website.

Votives are not easy. 3x4 pillars are easier for me.

I started with soy...you need to figure out what brand you want to buy. Then after I got it figured out, I went to palm. I really like the palm wax.

Now I am working on gel wax.

Just pick a starting project...get it down...then move on.

That is a good suggestion! Fortunely my hubby is a candlemaker and I learned from him but he didn't want to make the type of candles that I wanted to sell in my gift shoppe! I LOVE novelty candles and he didn't want to make those so I fired him!!!!!! :laugh2: Then I did a lot of research and searched the web on making novelty candles and with my vivid imagination, along with a lot of trial and error and eventually got my niche down pat.

Unfortunately pariffin and soy blends gave me migraines (melting it) and I had to quit! but I eventually came across palm wax and love it!

So now I am contemplating how to make novelty candles out of this wax. :cheesy2:

Some new looks like no other!!!!!

I tell people to go buy a candlemaking kit at AC Moore's or Michaeal's around $24.99 to $34.99 and try it before you pay $100's of dollars for supplies from these suppliers online! Cause you may find out that candlemaking is not for you and you are stuck with $100's of supplies.

HTH

SuzanneG

Suzanne is right about getting a small kit from Michael's. At least then, you can successfully say that yes, I tried candles and then dive into it. There's a ton of things involved with candles, it's not the cheapest hobby no matter how cheap you attempt to go.

I have always loved pillars, so they were actually the first candle I tried. But for a Christmas gift to my sister, I made her a hundred vanilla votives and put a Phantom of the Opera Highlights CD into the box of candles and I made her year that year and I found out I liked making them as well. So then I concentrated on those for a while and then I moved to containers.

From containers, I moved to the more difficult techniques, I tackled the pillar marbles first, which get a lot of people chuckling around here because I picked the hardest one to do first. Then swirls, mottles, rustics in about that order and I can definitely say while I've snatched my own head bald, I've had a blast and can say for certainty, I think I've done it all....for now anyway.

I would start small and work big, but it always helps to start off with the candle you enjoy most. I adore making pillars, but around me, everyone loves the votives because they're not stuck with a specific scent for very long and they can change the room's scent within a day or so.

It's always a matter of personal preference.

I also started out with a container kit from Cajun Candles. CC are great, they have detailed instructions also. Because of shipping from LA. to IN. I swithched to Bitter Creek North. They also have good kits, and FO.'s like Cajun. Starting out with a kit will give you an idea of whether making candles is what you want to do. It is addicting tho but fun.:cheesy2:

I think the easiest to get started with is container candles.

The wax is easy to work with, (easy to clean up, one-pour technique) and the scent throw is so much better with the softer wax. No molds, no additives, very easy to do.

Great way to get your feet waxed!

Try a Peaks Container Kit set, and you'll get a free fragrance oil sample. :)

The kit at Michaels includes wax best suited for pillars, unless you can find a "container candle kit".

Some of these are choices you will really have to make for yourself. Like what sells for me, might not sell for you. What kind of candle you want to make. Some will say start with votives but I think votives are a PITA and were harder to get the wicking down IMO than containers. I don't make pillars so would not recommend that based on me but others might. I would suggest reading as much as you can, determine what kind of wax you want to use - soy or paraffin, what kind of candle - then find a supplier nearest you to save on shipping and purchase a starter kit and dive in. If you need help, there are lots of folks here to help you. Once you start to make candles, you might decide to stick with the wax you started with or try others since you will have a better understanding of the candle making process and what you are really wanting to make. You might also want to try making other types of candles. In other words, be prepared to fund another addiction. But it is all good and it is so much fun. :) Good luck.

I agree with Meredith completely on this. One thing that is important is that you start working with wax and get a feel for it. Get use to the process and become proficient at it. So many variables, when I first started, I focused very closely on safety etc....while making candles. A starter kit is a great place to jump in. Have fun and go slowly.