Coloring CP Soap...

CBE

I was wondering, can you use Oil Soluble liquid dyes to color CP? I have mica, but after researching on here, I read that some micas morph. I don't want to waste my micas on trying to color CP. Maybe dusting the soap with it.. yes... but to color the soap... no. So, it's either my oil soluble dyes, food coloring, or just plain natural soap.

I would go plain natrual soap, then dust with micas. I like natural better. But you can use paprika or tumeric or other things too to color soaps in a natural way. You can even add natural things like ground cucumber, and stuff like that to soaps to add color. I have even added real strawberries (purreed) to soap, it makes a beautiful pink. You don tneed to add a lot of it either. Just play around.

note: I do HP soap, so my additives get cooked I do not know if that makes a difference or not since I have never done CP :)

I haven't had any of my micas or oxides morph. And you need very little to make really dramatic colors, especially if you are swirling. I've found them to be predictable so far. Some other good natural colorants are Alkanet, cocoa powder, Indigo, and rose clay. I think food coloring reacts to the ph levels, so it won't be a good colorant for CP. What are the oil soluble colors meant to be used for?

I've used food coloring for soaps. Works fine. Keep in mind that blue morphs into purple in an alkaline environment, though. Can't get much more alkaline than lye! lol

Food colors can fade or bleed over time, but for small batches that will be used up in short order, this shouldn't be a problem.

I was wondering, can you use Oil Soluble liquid dyes to color CP? I have mica, but after researching on here, I read that some micas morph. I don't want to waste my micas on trying to color CP. Maybe dusting the soap with it.. yes... but to color the soap... no. So, it's either my oil soluble dyes, food coloring, or just plain natural soap.

You can use oil soluble dyes IF they are regulated as body safe. If they are not, it means they have not been tested for that use and are not recommended.

Like the others said though, there are many natural elements that can be used for coloring soap, and personally I love using my oxides and UM's. Micas I do save for dusting, or to add sparkle to only 1 or 2 of the swirls. It takes a lot more of the Mica to color than it does oxides or UM's I've found IME.

HTH

J

These oil soluble dyes are for body butters, bath butters, lip balms, anything that contains alot of oil..... I'm assuming I can just add the dyes to my oils. I'm not going to attempt swirls, cause this is my first time making CP. I want to do just the basics... I'll just try and see what comes out!! Thanks a bunch!

These oil soluble dyes are for body butters, bath butters, lip balms, anything that contains alot of oil..... I'm assuming I can just add the dyes to my oils. I'm not going to attempt swirls, cause this is my first time making CP. I want to do just the basics... I'll just try and see what comes out!! Thanks a bunch!

If they are for body butters and lip balms then I'm sure you'd be able to use them for your soap.

You can either add them to your oils or to the batter after it has reached trace. Either way...

Good luck, and show the pics after you get it made! :)