Firestarters are SO EASY

Cindys,

What you charge depends greatly on what area you live in as with anything else, ie., candles, soaps, etc. I live in the northern part of Wisconsin and I get $5.00 for a bag of 6. I don't even bother trying to sell mine individually. Then I know someone who lives in a metro area of PA and she gets ............drum roll please................ $1.95 for each individual firestarter. Pretty good profit wouldn't ya say?

Maybe others will help you out on what they charge.

HTH

We are in Wisconsin as well and charge $3.00 for a pack of 6 (We're also right on the main road to a state park / campground out in the country.) Probably priced a bit low compared to what we could get for them, but they sell well at that and also gets people to stop to buy the outdoor candles.

I charged $.25 to $.50 a piece or 12 for $2.00 in a bag with a tag describing how to use. This was several years ago and was mostly for home fireplaces. I do think I could get more and sell more all year because of the firepits. Also took any spicy & fruit scent I had samples of that I didn't like and added to wax. Making some unscented is a good ideal.

I made a set of those once three years ago when I was getting ready to go camping with a friend. What I used as well was paper towels that had wax on them, they're pretty much already primed, then sawdust and wax.

When we got to the campgrounds, my friend was having a really bad time lighting the fire, so I pulled a couple out, tore the paper, lit them, tossed them in and within a few minutes we had a fire that was the envy across our side of the lake. If I had been thinking, I would have made more than what I took and sold them on the spot.

• 3 months later...
I use the mini muffin cups because the full size burn too long IMO. If I'm giving as a gift, I top with a little pot pourri mix to make em look 'purdy' and bag them in clear cello with a raffia bow.

Good idea to dress them up. I'm just getting into this after all my testing. I have several pounds of scrap wax. :D

Didn't want to get started until I had a plan. This one sounds great!

Love the pet bedding idea!

I have made my own with paper from my shredder. When testing them I found I had to have lots of light fuel sticking out, such as wick or shredded paper in order to get the wax itself burning. It's kind of a downer when your fire starter goes out....lol

So I had lots of paper sticking out like a porcupine and ended up shredding colored paper just to make firestarters. For esthetic appeal.

Then I played with soaking paper in copper sulphate to wrap around my paper and wax filled dixie cups and wrapping it up like a christmas cracker. The copper sulphate makes greenish flames.

Yah, I have already admitted to being a pyro:o . And I have enough fire starters to last me 20 years....lol

I agree, it was fun, but admittedly, somewhat messy. What's new about that?....lol

I really like the sound of these :)

Not sure if they would sell too well in the UK though. I'm doing a craft fair in November (christmas one)' date=' any ideas how to 'sell them' with a christmas theme?

Not many people venture outside here in winter lol[/quote']

What about an evergreen scent and using green die?

I had some leftover orange wax, scented with Hawaiian Ginger and it looks really nice with the sawdust shavings. Sort of like a crumble cake effect.

My son came in and I said, "These are candles, so don't eat one." LOL!

What about an evergreen scent and using green die?

I had some leftover orange wax, scented with Hawaiian Ginger and it looks really nice with the sawdust shavings. Sort of like a crumble cake effect.

My son came in and I said, "These are candles, so don't eat one." LOL!

What does that mean?

:laugh2::laugh2:

Just tested one of my cupcakes with the sawdust. Excellent burn. I turned over one of my stepping stones and tested it there. My cats ran off, but they will be back. lol!

We don't have a fireplace in our current home, but had one in our previous home. I could see these would be just the ticket for a fireplace.

I also burned several bags of trash, as we are allowed to do here. Perfect. Didn't need lighter fluid.

That's it. Just two wicks, layered sawdust and wax.

Very fun to make.

I just always made mine red and scented with any spice scent I either had as samples or wasn't using. And all the small pine cones, potpourri, rose hips anything to make them look cute and smell great. Also put in a couple of scrap wicks. I test burned mine in my back yard in the dirt, was a cold windy day and that thing burned great, burned it's self up. I usually make some for my neighbor. They are good for wood stoves, campfires, fire pits and fireplaces. Place on top between some logs and light. Watch the flames spread while the wax melts. They work great.

I just always made mine red and scented with any spice scent I either had as samples or wasn't using. And all the small pine cones, potpourri, rose hips anything to make them look cute and smell great. Also put in a couple of scrap wicks. I test burned mine in my back yard in the dirt, was a cold windy day and that thing burned great, burned it's self up. I usually make some for my neighbor. They are good for wood stoves, campfires, fire pits and fireplaces. Place on top between some logs and light. Watch the flames spread while the wax melts. They work great.

Great and festive idea - red with potpourri! Love that!

Okay, I read abou these and just had to make some. My great grandfather handplaned a bunch of beautiful cedar before he died and we treasure it for how great it looks. Turns out there are tons of shavings in our shop so I grabbed a bag of those and made some. They burned great. They even lasted 45 minutes and burned well enough to give off some warmth ( I love to lay near the warmth of the fireplace in the winter so, when I was testing these I layed about three feet away and felt warmth just from the starter.) Not sure how well they will go over here but thats what trial runs are for. I'm thinking 50 cents each will do pretty well here seeing as how a fire starter runs upwards of $3. Thanks for the idea.

Okay, I read abou these and just had to make some. My great grandfather handplaned a bunch of beautiful cedar before he died and we treasure it for how great it looks. Turns out there are tons of shavings in our shop so I grabbed a bag of those and made some. They burned great. They even lasted 45 minutes and burned well enough to give off some warmth ( I love to lay near the warmth of the fireplace in the winter so, when I was testing these I layed about three feet away and felt warmth just from the starter.) Not sure how well they will go over here but thats what trial runs are for. I'm thinking 50 cents each will do pretty well here seeing as how a fire starter runs upwards of $3. Thanks for the idea.

How lucky are you to have something from your Grandfather. And I never had one last so long, must be some great shavings. Nice....