Hole off-center?

How common is this, and can I just exchange the mold without a fuss? This one was from Cierra Candles. I'd thought at first maybe it was the wick, but the two candles have different wicks and that apparently isn't the problem. I also have no idea how I'd fix something like this. Maybe drill another hole 1/8th of an inch to the right?

(and yes, I realize there are other problems with these candles than just the position of the wick.)

(Actually, if someone can tell me why the green one bubbled up, that'd be great. It has 3 dye chips in it, and I thought that might be it --smells good though!)

test4.jpg

I'd appreciate it!

Kelly

They just smoosh down --no liquid. It looked fine until I lit it. After it had been burning for a couple hours they popped up. I've never had that happen before.

I used 1 oz of Cucumber/Melon to 1 pound of wax.

My heart mould from Cierra Candles has the hole drilled off centre (grrr) I use it for forever candles now so its not a real big deal but if you are wicking it its a complete pain in the rear end.

Well, I went ahead and wrote them to ask if I could exchange it. (Maybe I should've sent them the picture, too.) And yes, it is a complete pain in the rear!

This may be a silly question...but have you actually measured where the hole is in the mold? It's rare that a hole is off on the common round molds.

Just because it's burning off center to start, that doesn't mean the wick isn't centered, hole or not. Flat ply and square braids both make the burn off center, though they're supposed to even out late on. Also, even a slight draft could cause it... Just a couple thoughts...

I was thinking along the same line as SatinDucky. But I'm thinking it's your wick, looks like it's curled a little bit which throws your flame off center. It looks like it's placed correctly. Try another burn or two like Satin suggested.

I agree with SatinDuckie and Accents that the wick you're using is curled over. Self-trimming wicks will curl over like that so I usually try and place them just slightly off center to allow for the curl. You have to know which direction in which they're going to curl so take a look at the "v"'s on each side of the wick. On one side, the "v" goes down:

v

v

v

...on the other side, the "v" goes up:

^

^

^

The side in which the "v" goes up is the direction in which the wick will curl.

...and I have no idea about the bubbles.

HTH