Where do I begin the adventure of B &B?

Okay, for nearly two years now I have cruised through the B & B gallery and looked in awe at the wonderful creations of the talented soapers and B & B people. I am finally ready to get my feet wet. I've already placed a toe in the water with M & P soaps but the bases I'm using are very poor and need a serious upgrade.

Also, I will say that I have spent months reading and researching the bases for lotions, shower gels, body & linen sprays and lip balms.

I know my limits so I will begin with the investments into quality bases and bottling. I have NO intentions of selling anything at all for at least a year or more! It will take that much time just to learn, research, test, and grow in confidence. And NO I'm not ready to do CP soap yet!

But the first thing I know is that I need to invest wisely in the right supplies as well as the right products and bases.

What are some of the foundation equipment that I will need?

I know the first think I will need is a good scale. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on it but I need a good one.

Who carries the best lotion base, shower gel, cypro for body sprays~ I'm leaning toward Catalina for several things including their bottles. Are they best for the M&P soap bases as well?

I also looked at Sweet Cakes and BCN bases and at Peaks for their M & P

I have several hundred dollars to invest in this and I want to invest right the firstime.

So I will contiue to read, research, and listen to your advice because you guys are the experts, not me.;)

Thanks again,

Fire

I love making bath and body stuff. My best advice would be, seeing that you are in Ohio, is to order some small sample sizes from suppliers closest to you. Catalina is in CA and while their products are nice by the time you add shipping to orders of gallon size stuff you may pass out at the total. You are lucky to have so many suppliers closer. Good luck, you'll love it!

I know a lot of people like the bases from BCN and I have tried their lotion and lip balm base and like them a lot. I haven't tried it yet but lots love their anibacterial soap and sanitizer.

Kentucky Candle has a great soy body butter and I have made and sold the heck out of that stuff as well. I don't do bases anymore except for the lipbalm. I don't see why you couldn't sell things you make with bases right away, there is nothing to test except getting the right amount of fo. If you make m&p soap you can sell those right away too.

Making your own bases and cp soaps are what takes time to learn and perfect just like candlemaking.

Good luck and most of all have fun.

I would love to do that but I've been looking at the reviews and I'm not impressed with the bases at either Nature's Garden nor WSP. Many reviews say they are thin.

But maybe that is the place to start. I'll get some samples from both as well as Mill Creek. And yes, I well know that Catalina is in California! LOL!:grin2::laugh2: But I was VERY impressed with the look of their stock.

It's hard to know because it's just pictures and words from a bunch of strangers, the sites as well as the reviews.... But it is still sage advice that you speak. If anything, I might learn what NOT to get and that is info much needed as well.

Fire;)

The best thing you can do is sample ALL of the bases you can for yourself--don't just take somebody's word for it. If you've been reading posts for two years now, then you know everyone has a different opinion on who has the best.

For you to be profitable in the business you will need to examine all of your costs, including shipping, but don't let that be the guiding force in making your final selection for products.

I avoided a certain supplier that was across the country from me for a very long time. Once in desperation for an item I could get nowhere else, I placed an order with them and was amazed that the shipping was in line with what suppliers in neighboring states were charging me! So, that taught me never to assume someone would be too high, or someone would be cheaper simply based on their location.

Maybe if you're interested in trying all of the bases possible someone might be willing to work out some type of swap.

Okay~ I been a cruising and I have a few questions!

What is a good site for purchasing a scale. I'll need a new one as my old one died last week but it was a cheapy. I don't want to spend a huge amout but I need one that will give me accuate weights and measures.

Q# 2: I was just on Sweet Cakes and they are recommending that I mix my F/O with Polysorbate 20 in order for the scent and the lotion bases to mix. On no other site that I have explored have they brough this up. Instead, they talk of heating the base and pouring it. I don't plan on coloring my lotions but I do plan on scenting them.

Thank you for advice,

Fire

I've purchased my scales from oldwillknott on Ebay and I have been very pleased with them. I haven't killed one yet. LOL! Later down the road, I would recommend a gram scale. Not a necessity, but good to have.

I don't do MP soap, but Prairieannie and Grumpy Girl can assist you with that.

They do fabulous MP- and they will give you stellar advice.

Lotion does not have to be used with Polysorbate to combine the scent.

I usually heat it just a tad, not to break down the preservative system.

I would highly recommend checking out this site- for measuring purposes.

You need to be precise in measurements with B&B products and maintain a sanitary work field as well.

http://www.candlesupply.com/BBfochart.html

A~ I would start out trying bases and going from there.

Lotions and body sprays are easy. Then you can get a feel for how it sells for you and how much effort and investment you want to put into it. I personally love B&B- but in all actuality, candles pay the bills. Perhaps I need to get off my tush and start wholesaling it.

Edited to add- you know you can PM me anytime if you need assistance. :)

Hello

I too will be just starting my bb business and I'm starting with the bases. Catalina gives nice amount of samples I got the lotions, frosting, bath salts, fizzy. I brough the walnut scrubs, sea salt, and the blue bottles with the gold trim. I also got samples from kycandle and I got gallon of soywhip, glaces, mists, lotion, and from bcn lipbalm and oils. so I'm trying to figure out my labels so that I can get started. Good luck to you.

Thank You, Terri & Roberta

I'll order the bases I'm interested in carrying and go from there. Test, Test and test some more. I'm in no rush to start selling until I know for a fact what I am doing. I need to be well tested and informed for the customers. So I'll just play! There's no major hurry.

Thanks again,

Fire

Lindsay with Soapers Workshop has a great lotion base. She can fit 3 gallons of condensed (sp?) base in a flat rate shipping box. All you have to do is add the amount of distilled water and FO and your done. She also does Lip Balm bases as well as kits.

Shannon

Just have to chime in here and say that I use the MP base from Essentials By Catalina and I ADORE it! I have tried them all now, and this is my favorite. Their shipping is very fair, and their customer service is the greatest! They make their MP base right there in their own facility, and it's just fantastic stuff.. the best quality I've ever found and that includes SFIC!

Good Luck to you!

I've been testing and experimenting for over a year now and am just about ready to start selling on Etsy. I think you've got the right idea to start with bases and expand from there. For me, it took a LOT of online research into ingredients and techniques and formulas to really feel like I knew what I was doing. I also tried every base I could get a sample of - the difference in quality is astounding. To start your inventory, I would recommend investing in a few really good quality body-safe fragrance oils and definitely research and select some good preservatives, since not all bases are pre-preserved. Once you are confident, you can move to customizing your bases with butters and oils for different characteristics, then finally start creating your own formulas.

In my opinion, you definitely need to blend your fragrance oils in a 1:1 ratio with Polysorbate 20 before mixing into a base. I've never been able to get them them fully blended without it. You may also want to research thickeners, like Crothix, because some bases really thin out after adding fragrance oil and a touch of thickener will get them right back in shape.

Here's a percentage conversion chart that I use every time I make something:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/PDFS/ConversionChart.pdf

Good Luck!

Since you are in OH have you thought of trying the Goatsmilk lotion base from The Candlemakers Store?

I've tried lotion bases from BCN, WSP, C&S and when it was still Kinghouse...now Keystone. JMO but none compared to The Candlemaker's Store. It's not real thick, takes color and FO great and is about the consistancy of pudding. Sinks in great and is not greasy or sticky. All of my testers love it. So until I get brave enough to make my own lotion this is the one I'm going to use. I like their spray base too because so far everything I've tested in it...it remains clear. Other's I've tried get very cloudy and I wanted something that looks like B&BW's body sprays.

Maggie

Thank you ALL for you excellent advice! I've made several pages of notes here and added the sites as well.

I will invest in 8oz of Polysorbate20

I plan on getting the pipettes for mesuring small amounts as well. WSP has the best price I've seen.

I guess a stick blender would also be a good investment too. I can get that at Walmart. Also I know that there are good stick blenders and there are very good stick blenders.. Getting the foundation equipment now is a must for me. But I'm not getting a kitchen aid mixer! I won't need one of those for quite some time! LOL!

What do you use to pour your products into bottles? Funnels? Sorry~ I have no idea and I haven't seen anything that really helps in the transfer of productto bottle.

I know that I can use a glass measuring cups for some things but what is the best measuring container aside from the scale?

Thank You again for sharing your knowledge,

Fire

I put some base in a plastic baggie. Then I weigh it. Then I add FO to it & re weigh it. Then I SQUISH it all together, over & over until it is all blended. Then, cut a tiny snip off the end of the sealed baggie. & squeeze it into the jar or bottle I'm packaging it in.

Pipettes are a must have: you are right! I usually get them from WSP when I'm doing an order, or here's another great place to check out: www.elementsbathandbody.com

You are going to have so much fun getting into this!!!!!

The most important thing for me is being covered with libality insurance, people are so sue happy these days. Even if you order a base from a reputable company, you are utlimately responsible for the product when you add scent and rebottle it.

I have never had a problem and I always list all my ingredients on products. It gives me peace of mind. I would not want to be put in the position of being sued and losing my assets.

Buttercup I FULLY agree with you, which is why I'm NOT selling anything. I have insurance for my candles but will need to totally upgrade it to include the B & B.

However, I really can't see doing this until I know for an asolute fact that I plan to incorporate it into my line. I will however add it when I renew my insurance for the year! I only pay once a year for the whole year. The payment is made in the fall time.

Fire

I am glad to see this post. I have also spent MANY hours researching and writing notes regarding B&B over the past couple months. I did some m&p soaps as well as some lotion bases just for Christmas presents THEN I found the world of candles :laugh2:

I have the body frosting base from Catalina and a suspension shower gel base from soaper supplies. I really love both of them. I have already played around with additives and know which ones I prefer. I have all these little samples sitting around from various places and they are starting to all feel alike to me lol. I honestly think I am going to prefer making my own lotions rather than wasting money on various bases.

The one thing I did learn between family, friends and the friends of my children, they prefer shower gel vs. bar soap. This doesn't hurt my feelings AT ALL because the CP soap scares me and the MP soap bored me after a month.

By the way, I tried the baggie trick to mix up my shower gel and pour into containers. It was NOT a pretty site when one of the baggies popped open. My kitchen had a good bath and I have never seen so many bubbles in my life :laugh2: I do like using the cake frosting bags and tips to put my body butters into containers. I will try it for my shower gels tonite.

I have several recipes for lotion bars and lip balms. I am just amazed at all the additives there are and figuring out which ones are better than others.

Let the adventure begin :yay:

I would love to do that but I've been looking at the reviews and I'm not impressed with the bases at either Nature's Garden nor WSP. Many reviews say they are thin.

I've had good luck with the Ritzy Bath Gel from NG & WSP's Crystal Clear Shower Gel. Both remained thick and scented wonderfully with the recommended (and sometimes less) amount of FO, most bases will thin if you add too much. I also have WSP's Suspension Gel & the Bath Concentrate that I need to test. I will keep you posted Fire. Also, I bought my disposable pipettes from Boleks. Check the next time you go.:P

The Crystal Clear Shower Gel from WSP is the best that I have used, it colors well and has not clouded with any color I have used. That said, that is the only base I have used from them. Good Luck can't wait to see your creations and make sure you have fun.

I use the Crystal Clear Gel as well & it doesn't thin out when I scent it. No problems. Their Goats milk & honey base is the easiest thing ever to scent & people just love it. As for the "baggies" trick, don't give up yet! It really makes things so easy & the clean up is great cause you just toss them out. Maybe try different sized baggies & even using different brands actually does make a difference sometimes.