Soap storage help

Candybee

I have been storing my M&P soaps in zip loc bags in between shows. These are the ones I sell without packaging in basket trays. I noticed that the goat's milk in particular gets that fuzzy crystalization on it from the glycerin inside.

Is there a better way to store them so they don't dry out? I know you have to store M&P cause it does dry out.

Also, can I use olive oil in M&P? Can I sub it for castor oil? Is there any advantage in using it over castor? I'm talking about using OO in the recipe as opposed to using an olive oil M&P base soap.

I would suggest using the shrink wrap for your soaps, I believe m&p is supposed to be wrapped right away. , Any oil added to m&p will affect your lather If you go to wholesalessuppliesplus and click on soap bases each one will give direction and suggested additives amounts. It is not recommended to add oils to m&p but i have seen recipes with added oils I believe 1 tb per pound of soap

When soap is made the oils and lye create a reaction and turns oils into soap if you add more oil to already saponified soap it will not become soap just extra oil, thus decreasing your lathering.

Not an expert though -I have worked with m&p and added oil only to loose my precious bubbles.

There is a link on this site that has a bunch of m&p recipes , do a search, I found ( see if this lik works)

http/wwwcandletech.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-303.html

:grin2:

I wrap my mp after its cut with saran wrap. I have not had a problem with it getting yucky or sweaty and you can smell through it. I put my label on the back. Then i just put it in those litlle plastic totes till my next show. I find this helps keep it from getting dints and dings.