Niche Market...? What do you think!

Ok...I was thinking about just concentrating on tropical scents for my candles...I have a few wholesale accounts in funky boutiques on the ocean and in Palm Beach and that is all they request from me. Since I live in S.Florida I thought that maybe I should just sell a troprical line and name it a fun tropical name and during the holidays come out with limited edition holiday scents.

What do you think of this? Would this limit me or is it better to reach a niche market then trying to be all things to all people?

Any suggestions on a fun tropical name? :wink2:

Ok...I was thinking about just concentrating on tropical scents for my candles...I have a few wholesale accounts in funky boutiques on the ocean and in Palm Beach and that is all they request from me. Since I live in S.Florida I thought that maybe I should just sell a troprical line and name it a fun tropical name and during the holidays come out with limited edition holiday scents.

What do you think of this? Would this limit me or is it better to reach a niche market then trying to be all things to all people?

Any suggestions on a fun tropical name? :wink2:

I think it sounds like a reasonable idea. Sounds like you have requests for just those scents and something like bakery scents might never sell except like you said, during the holidays. If it were ME, I would try it out for awhile and just concentrate on the tropical things and see what happens.

I say go for it!!! What have you got to lose? Nothing really! It sounds like this is what you are already doing basically....as for holiday scents you could go for some spicy pineapple scents, fruit and spice scents etc...do some research on the net about places like the 'islands' and what some of the holiday traditions are in those areas and try to play off that for scents...as for a catchy name..oh brother, that is endless...

Tropical Temptations

Island Essence

Essence of the Islands

Tropical Essence

Sun Sand Wix & Wax (lol)

Beaches

Tropics

and on and on and on...LOL!

Just some ideas off the top of my head! HTH

I read a marketing book some years back and it quoted a millionaire that ownes hotels. I don't remember his name, ICRS. He said, "You don't want everyone to like what you do. You want 10% to love it!".

Being that I'm from SWFL, I think you found your 10%. I love tropical scents!

I found the most unique & exotic tropical scents at a Tommy Bahama store in Key West. I loved the tropical scents they had that did not include pineapple & coconut. Good luck--I think you have a great idea.

I love the name Tropical Temptations. I think finding your niche is very very important. That way you can have a better focus on what you offer and with slimmer product line, you will have the opportunity to buy many things in bulk, which means less cost.

I received a marketing/business book at a conference as a prize, and the biggest thing she stresses is the "niche market" concept. She was actually one of the better speakers I have encountered. According to her plan, the niche market is usually a successful portal of sales that can take you in a very positive direction for future sales and business development. Good luck with it, I think it's a fab idea.

If I can locate the book, I'll post her website. ;)

http://www.jgivlercoaching.com/

How about

Tropical Twist

or Paradise Found ?

name a few scents that relate to your area...locations, landmarks etc...I think shop owners would love that

You are right on that one...that is how I got into Palm Beach with...Little Black Dress...Yachet Club...Hey Hey Cute Cabana Boy and Sugar Daddy...lol Have a few others for the area....Everglades...Gator Tail Pie and Pink Flamingo...ect... :wink2: