How do you open a sealed pail?

Hello everyone,

I just bought 40 lbs of coconut oil that came in a sealed large pail. I can not remove the lid to save my life! I used a hammer to pry the seals, a big screw driver. and several other tools to no avail. One side of the lid is basically mangled but nowhere close to even opening. Is there a "lid remover" tool I can buy from Home Depot or Walmart? This is my 2nd day of trying to open this container. Definitely putting a damper on my soapmaking.:cry2:

Me too. I think you can probably get one in Home Depot or Lowes, tho I borrowed mine from work. You want to cut thru the slits around the outside first to make it easier.

Oh, but depending on where you live you may wish to use a pump thru the pump hole instead (assuming your lid has one) as the CO liquefies at 76 degrees.

After an hour of fighting with a pail of stearic, my hubby and I gave up when he said "open the spot and pour it out for now" and we did. The next day, my daughter walked by and asked if we were able to get it open. I was working and turned my attention back to the product while complaining about pails in general. She kept saying "Mom...Mom...Moooommm..." I turned and she was holding the lid in her hand! Apparently, opening the spout hole released the pressure... :laugh2:

I have some that are nearly impossible to open, though, and nothing helps to loosen them, even though they've had years of opening and closing. That MMS tool looks great...thanks for posting!

A little tip about the pail opener type in that picture... It's double sided. For most of my oil buckets I use it with the handle facing away from the bucket. However, I've got some 5 gallon buckets that I got from Walmart to store my lotion bases in, and I have turn the pail wrench around (handle facing towards the center of the bucket). Now I did not figure this out on my own :embarasse, but had my husband point it out to me. So if you get one, and it doesn't seem to be working, try flipping it around, and trying it the other way.