Refilling Jars?

Hello all...It's been a while I have been so busy with the family lately. I just spent the last two hours reading alot of the recent postings on here trying to catch up on what's goin on. Nice to see all the great new stuff in the gallery, keep up the good work!

I came out of hiding because I have a concern about a few people who were talking about refilling jars. I have been steadily perfecting my candles for 3 yrs. now and one of my biggest goals is to also make my candle as safe as i possibly can.

I actually thought about offering a refill kit with my candles at one time and when I did a bit of research on this topic I quickly changed my mind.

Here are a few of many things I found on this subject.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19061&highlight=refill

From: Indiana Candle Supplies / Snowtop Candle Supplies - Message Board

refilling jars... NO NO NO!!!

I have been reading some of your posts (try to do it as often as I can, you all have wonderful advice), however I just noticed that some of you mention that you are REFILLING JARS FOR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!! I can name quite a few reasons NOT to do that, but here is just one... This didn't happen to me (I refuse to refill), a lawyer was telling someone I know (and trust) reasons why you should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER refill candle jars. The candle company owner was refilling jars for his customers, always being sure to check for problems with the jars first. One of his customers had a jar refilled, took it home and it EXPLODED and sliced her 2 year old daugher's eye open. He lost his business, and he had NO ONE TO BLAME BUT HIMSELF! If you sell a once filled candle, you can trace that jar back to the company you bought it from... it's not on you! However, if you REFILL jars, the jar company is out of the loop, and now it's on your head! Even with all of his careful checking, he missed a hairline fracture. Not trying to scare anyone... but I thought that you might be cautious of what can happen. All of us work so hard at what we do, and all it takes is one time to lose everything.

Q: Can I refill my jar candle when it is empty? Do you recycle the empty jars?

A: Because glass weakens as it accumulates bumps and scratches from use, we do not recommend refilling our jars for re-use as a candle. However, they make terrific holders for all kinds of things around your home: buttons, nails, cotton balls, potpourri, seashells ... whatever small collections you may want to display. Additionally, most local recycling agencies will accept empty Yankee Candle jars with other glass jars.

I'm not a Yankee fan, but I think this is good advice to use them for decorative purposes only, I thought Candle Sand would be cool!

Better to be safe than sorry!

Very good advice!

I have several of each type of jar I use that I refill for testing purposes, but I will NEVER refill a jar for a customer or anyone else for that matter. I do give a small discount if they return the jars. I keep them and use them for testing when the current testing jars need to retire.

Is it ok to refill jars if they have not been burned? We have some jars that we were going to melt down, but have not been lit. We dont want to do it if it is going to create a hazard.

Thanks for posting that information:) I'm completely new and wasn't aware that it was a safety concern. I was someone who had mentioned a candle shop here in NC where you could bring in your container and they would refill it. Now I understand why they are no longer in business whether from an accident or just realizing it was a bad idea.

So one more thing on my shopping list...new containers. Very, very important information to have!

Is it ok to refill jars if they have not been burned? We have some jars that we were going to melt down, but have not been lit. We dont want to do it if it is going to create a hazard.

Depends on how you are planning to melt down your wax. Putting it in the oven will heat your jar. Using a heat gun to melt it will also heat the insides of the jar.

The whole point is heating a jar weakens it. Glass is manufactured to take a lot of stress but eventually it develops cracks and weak points.

I only use my used jars for testing new FOs. I don't sell them to customers.