New Here Today

Hi,

I'm Donna and I just joined today. I'm completely lost but a fast learner and am hoping I can get my act together and make some candles and B&B. Oh, and one day maybe even soap! Dare to dream:lol:

My candle addiction is becoming quite the financial sorethumb so I figure this hobby/pasttime would be cost effective for my budget. I've spent most of the day poking around and lurking. I'll try not to ask too many goofball questions without at least trying to find out for myself:)

Just wanted to introduce myself so no one wonders who the heck I am if I chime in somewhere!

Hi Welcome, If you think this hobby will be cost effective, dont even start This is a severe addiction and it only worsens with time. You keep getting bigger and bigger untill one day you say. What the hell am I going to do with this stuff, then the selling and the shows start. Anyway welcome and have fun:yay:

Hey, we all have to start somewhere! So welcome! I have certainly asked my share of goofball questions in the past few weeks (newbie too) and I'm sure there will be more to come.

I do try to research the board and the archive before posting but sometimes you just need help NOW! And there are so many helpful folks here-- it really is a blessing.

Enjoy!:D

Hi Donna;

Welcome to the board and candle making.

I started out doing melt and pour soap, then lotions and creams. I worked with my girl friend on them.

Then I decided I wanted to make candles. I was one them people that thought...how hard can they be....Boy, did I find out.

It's fun though. Each one is different. It's an addicting hobby. I have sold a few. Have done one craft show locally and one open house type thing.

The craft show was fun and rewarding. It was last November. The open house sucked. It was just a couple weeks ago.

Keep your chin up, do your research, and practice. Don't be afraid to ask questions....before long you will be answering questions yourself.

I belong to several boards...this is the best.

Thanks for all the nice welcomes. Oh, I know this won't be cost effective:LOL: Nothing I really enjoy doing ever is:rolleyes2 When I was checking the abbreviations of all of the supply companies out there, I had already decided I need a new notebook for notes, recipes and wishlists!

I'm within a few hours drive of the two places Carolina Candle Supply and Candle Science, so that will be a good all day trip. A bit of shopping maybe lunch at The Cheesecake Factory and a fast walk through at one of the giant malls will make a really great thing to do on my upcoming vacation week.

Hopefully I'll manage to put together a nice birthday or at least Christmas gift or two for some of the peeps;)

Thanks for all the nice welcomes. Oh, I know this won't be cost effective:LOL: Nothing I really enjoy doing ever is:rolleyes2 When I was checking the abbreviations of all of the supply companies out there, I had already decided I need a new notebook for notes, recipes and wishlists!

I'm within a few hours drive of the two places Carolina Candle Supply and Candle Science, so that will be a good all day trip. A bit of shopping maybe lunch at The Cheesecake Factory and a fast walk through at one of the giant malls will make a really great thing to do on my upcoming vacation week.

Hopefully I'll manage to put together a nice birthday or at least Christmas gift or two for some of the peeps;)

Ohhh, I am so jealous...you are very lucky to live so close to two great places for supplies!

Welcome!

That is pretty cool! I've lived here in NC for 13 years now and never had a clue. We have a candle making plant/company here. It used to be called Hot Wax Candle Co. although I think it might have changed names a little while back. The candles are pretty cheap and barely scented but they do a booming business and they have a small sales area on site and during the holidays you can buy seconds. You've probably even seen these candles for sale in stores around the country. They are generally very lightly colored and scented, a lot of them are just sort of milky opaque with dried floral/greenery embedded. Almost like last minute, I forgot to get someone a gift candles.

Thank goodness my gardening spending is scaling down for the season so I can buy my future addiction's supplies:wink2: