Soapers Choice Oil Question?

Crystala25

I usually order the 7 lb. containers from soaperschoice, but when the oils harden I have to sit them in the sun and wait for them to melt a little before getting them out of the container. I know they have 35lb. containers, does anyone know how wide the opening is for these. I mean would I be able to scoop some out and melt it that way or is it a small pour spout like the 7 lb. size. TIA.

I hate the big box - what a mess! nothing like being up to your elboz in a greasy bag inside a box when you get to the end! The very cheapest Lard I have found is at super Walmart and believe it or not it is cheaper to buy it in the 1 lb boxes than the larger sizes - if memory serves it is 57 cents a pound.

Bethany

I hate the big box - what a mess! nothing like being up to your elboz in a greasy bag inside a box when you get to the end! The very cheapest Lard I have found is at super Walmart and believe it or not it is cheaper to buy it in the 1 lb boxes than the larger sizes - if memory serves it is 57 cents a pound.

Bethany

My Walmart charges 3.96 for the 4 pound tub of it and that is the largest I can get there.

I hate the big box - what a mess! nothing like being up to your elboz in a greasy bag inside a box when you get to the end!

Bethany

I transfer the box oils to larger buckets when I get them. Yes, it's an extra step, but I too hate digging through an oily bag. This way, I only have to do it once (twice if bucket isn't large enough), and wash up once. It's also easier for me to haul my oils around since the buckets have handles on them.

My Walmart charges 3.96 for the 4 pound tub of it and that is the largest I can get there.

They don't sell the one pound boxes for about 57 cents each? It seems weird, but the smallest package is the best buy - I've found that out with a lot of stuff there.

Bethany

I usually order the 7 lb. containers from soaperschoice, but when the oils harden I have to sit them in the sun and wait for them to melt a little before getting them out of the container. I know they have 35lb. containers, does anyone know how wide the opening is for these. I mean would I be able to scoop some out and melt it that way or is it a small pour spout like the 7 lb. size. TIA.

Someone suggested to me that you slice the top half of your 7lb container off so you can dig into it and then just place the lid back on it. You won't be able to pick it up by the handle anymore but at least you can get in there and dig and there is no worry about spilling b/c if it's the oils like PKO that never soften than you are good to go.

Someone suggested to me that you slice the top half of your 7lb container off so you can dig into it and then just place the lid back on it. You won't be able to pick it up by the handle anymore but at least you can get in there and dig and there is no worry about spilling b/c if it's the oils like PKO that never soften than you are good to go.

Thanks. I had thought about doing that, do you tape them shut after or just leave them open a little bit.

This person just cut the top completely around the entire bottle and then just set it over the bottle, instead of being connected like normal it will just fit right over the new cut part so it is closed but not securely closed and would keep out dust and particles. I would not do this if it were an oil that gets liquidy or if kept in a warm place. I know my coconut oil can get hard but right now it is very liquidy and it's stored here in my living room. My PKO is very solid and my Palm is slushy so both of those would work if I had the 7lb containers like that. I'm glad you posed this question b/c if/when I buy those large sizes I would have been lost as to what to do.

This person just cut the top completely around the entire bottle and then just set it over the bottle, instead of being connected like normal it will just fit right over the new cut part so it is closed but not securely closed and would keep out dust and particles. I would not do this if it were an oil that gets liquidy or if kept in a warm place. I know my coconut oil can get hard but right now it is very liquidy and it's stored here in my living room. My PKO is very solid and my Palm is slushy so both of those would work if I had the 7lb containers like that. I'm glad you posed this question b/c if/when I buy those large sizes I would have been lost as to what to do.

I was just looking for the palm and palm kernel oils, they just take so long to melt in the sun. I think I am going to buy some of those big open containers and just melt them once and then transfer them into there.

remember, though, that you are supposed to melt the entire container of palm oil every time and stir thoroughly, as the stearic settles out. Not that everyone does this but you really should.

Last time I melted the whole bottle of palm oil and stirred almost continuously as it solidifed - whipping it kinda. Took forever but now I believe it is homogeneous and I just chunk off what I need (I did it in a plastic bin).

Palm kernel oil is evil (takes absolutely forever to melt) - I buy the flakes.

remember, though, that you are supposed to melt the entire container of palm oil every time and stir thoroughly, as the stearic settles out. Not that everyone does this but you really should.

Last time I melted the whole bottle of palm oil and stirred almost continuously as it solidifed - whipping it kinda. Took forever but now I believe it is homogeneous and I just chunk off what I need (I did it in a plastic bin).

Palm kernel oil is evil (takes absolutely forever to melt) - I buy the flakes.

Usually when I melt the palm oil, I just shake it up for a few minutes.

I think I might try getting the pko flakes, I had completly forgot that they sold them.

Thank you.

I've never heard about stirring the Palm, I never have and don't notice anything about it? I am concerned about the stability of the oil if one keeps melting and remelting so I try to only melt when I am making soap. I don't buy the flakes b/c I read some don't like it b/c of some sort of process they put it through. I don't mind the chipping, it's great exercise for my upper arms. :wink2: And since I"ve been seeing my trainer it's getting easier and easier to do. :grin2: If I can bench press 65 pounds then I can dig through PKO without probs. :yes: