Can I do a hurricane with this mould?

I got a lovely mould today, 5 1/4inch tall by 5 1/4inch diameter round.

Its polycarbonate though, can you make hurricanes in them?

It will be brill to be able to see what you are putting in the hurricane, but is it poss to get the cane out of the mould?

anyone used one for a cane?

I can a couple of other polycarbonate moulds and they are a PITA to get the candle out.

Oh and for those cane experts, as I have plain paraffin (135mp), is it micro hard that I can add to aid opaqueness? if so, in what percentage?

thanks

You can use that lower mp wax for that size. I usually pour a little wax in the bottom just to be sure that the tea lite or votive is closer to the top. I use micro hard in the amount of 3% or 1/2 oz pp. It won't make it too opaque but really helps with the wax. It solved most of my problems when I learned about it. It is all about experimenting.

I have used all kinds of containers for hurricanes. My first one as some people here know was a Morton salt box that I took out of the garbage and cleaned off the coffee grounds......from there on my insanity for finding anything that looked like a candle mold began. Most have worked....(smile)

Donita Louise

thanks Donita

well my first was my tea bag cannister lolol, but I couldn't see to line the piccie up.

I actually bought this described as 'large pillar mould' and when it got here, I was beaming from ear to ear. I'm going to find something about 1/2 less in diameter to make an insert, some plastic piping or something.

Its the fact its polycarbonate and candles don't come out of that easy that was worrying me. Is it possible to over grease the mould ;)

Hi wick,

would you mind sharing where you got your micro hard from was it from a supplier in the UK?

I have been using luster crystals but it turns the wax really cloudy so you cant see ehat your doing.

Good luck anyway, you may as well try it- you can always melt it back down if it doesnt come out themold right.

But i wouldnt grease it if your puting a picin the hurricane as it might effect the pic - not certain though?

If you are using an insert I assume that you aren't doing a photo. So go ahead and wipe it with cooking spray. Be sure that it is very clean. The only molds that I have found that work for pictures are made of tin. The aluminum is too thick for me. Be sure to let your candle cool completely.....really...completely cooled...and you shouldn't have any problem getting it out of the mold. You could clean it with mineral oil and wipe it out throughly too. Hope this helps. Donita Louise

PS....if the candle doesn't fall out of the mold......I put it in the refrigerator upside down and let gravity help too for just 5 minutes....set your timer so you don't crack the wax.

Hi Victoria, yep it was in the UK and yep I was gobsmacked lol. It's a company called 4candles.

I was actually going to do a photo embed with it first, until I find a suitable insert. Got nothing to insert at the minute though lol.

So don't grease it if doing a photo?

I never did get to the bottom of this, can anyone tell me what mineral oil is in the UK? I mean, I know its mineral oil, but is there a brand name and where can I get it?

Would I still use a waterbath and cold cloth process with polycarbonate?