Fuel Smell

What causes a fuel smell when burning a paraffin candle? I made a rustic pillar 3 days ago...3 TBS Stearic and 1/2 tsp of vybar....1 oz FO. It has a GREAT cold throw, but I'm definitely smelling fuel after it has been going for about 1 hour.

Any thoughts or recommendations will be much appreciated.

I bought wax from Pourette several years ago that smelled of fuel. I wasn't using any scent.....just making hurricanes. I called them and a stupid woman said that maybe the box of wax got next to some chemicals in transit.....NOT.....the entire batch of wax had a definite petroleum smell....several cases. I quit buying wax from them and started buying from Candlewic. Donita Louise

I bought wax from Pourette several years ago that smelled of fuel. I wasn't using any scent.....just making hurricanes. I called them and a stupid woman said that maybe the box of wax got next to some chemicals in transit.....NOT.....the entire batch of wax had a definite petroleum smell....several cases. I quit buying wax from them and started buying from Candlewic. Donita Louise

We also had the same issue from the same company, with the same answers, and after doing some checking around, they were repacking the wax that they got from someone in S.CAL, this is what the stupid woman said when we wanted a MSDS info on the wax.

as to the smell they we pawning the 139 as the best wax around, but the MSDS showed it was something called "scale wax" and calling other suppliers the scale wax is the cheapest and lowest grade around and the smell is common.

so we don't buy from them anymore either

I've been having exactly the same problem lately. Unfortunately, the fuel smell wasn't discovered until after I'd made a gazillion tealights and had them burning in every nook and cranny of the house. I was not at all popular. The word "divorce" was definitely mentioned once or twice... :embarasse :grin2:

Thanks for the vanilla tip, guys! :highfive: