Customer wants to put their own labels on MY candles?

I have someone asking to sell my candles to them wholesale with just a generic caution label on the bottom and they would add their own label on the front. I have a problem with this! Who's liable for the candle? It's MY candle that I've worked hard to create. Is this client trying to take advantage of me??

I've always said I wouldn't do this, but I'm not sure now what to do. If I could put my website on the bottom caution label and let them label the front, do you think this would be good enough?

Give me your advice!!

I'm just starting out and I have to many sites to take the time to make my own candles but I want to carry them. Now I (my business) does personalized gifts/labels. The supplier of my candles I asked to please add their information to the bottom of the candle. So hopefully they will allow you to do the same. Perhaps you could start making your own caution labels that contains your info on that so you don't have 2 labels, just my 2 cents.

Julia

I do make my own caution labels with my company name and website on them, but they're asking for a generic caution label.

I have also done private labeling, but I usually have created a label for the customer and it still says "hand-poured by SoyGlo Candle Co." right on the front only in smaller lettering.

I suppose if she pulls off my caution label, I will never know about this since they are so far away!!

I do make my own caution labels with my company name and website on them, but they're asking for a generic caution label.

I have also done private labeling, but I usually have created a label for the customer and it still says "hand-poured by SoyGlo Candle Co." right on the front only in smaller lettering.

I suppose if she pulls off my caution label, I will never know about this since they are so far away!!

Well that's a shame that she wants just generic labels. I seek out wahm's and I like for them to get credit. I even advertise them on my sites. I know how hard advertising is.

You know, I guess I would think that completely generic labeling would require a X amount of a purchase. That's just a thought, but there's no guarantee that they'll come back and buy $500 more worth or blah blah...so you should get some credit for the people that are purchasing your candle. So they can come back to you if this store stops carrying it.

That's just my thought.

I agree . . . I was thinking if everything needed to be generic, then I would put a large minimum on it.

I've been communicating with them while you guys have been helping me out here and I'm now able to put my caution label on it with my website printed on there. So now it's like a normal private label candle!! Now we'll see where this goes!

Thanks for helping me get through this! Sometimes I just have to talk to "candle people"!!!!!

I guess I've never understood completely why so many people are so against private label. I understand taking a lot of pride in your work, and wanting to receive acknowledgement for it. Having your info on the labels also can help pull future business back to you. But I've found that at least 75% of my wholesale accounts request private label. If they own a store front, this isn't an uncommon request. By having THEIR own info on the label, that gets the people back in their store, and purchasing more candles (or soaps, or B&B, etc).

I charge a private label fee, because it takes time to create new labels for them. I also try to insist with some kind of small text clause (usually near the address section), something similar to the following. "Made for XYZ Store by Body Language Soaps". But no contact info of mine goes on the label anywhere, just theirs. I've had a few referrals come through stores, and I usually give them some 'store credit' for the referral, as a thank you.

But I don't turn away business just because they don't want my info on there. In my opinion, a sale is a sale. The main reason stores don't want our info on the products is because most likely, they're charging slightly more for the product than we're selling them for on our websites. They'll lose their customers if they come and buy directly from us. Wholesale accounts, while the profit margin is lower, cuts your labor time down so much, that it's really hard to grow while doing retail only.

Okay, I can tell I'm definitely starting to ramble! It's been a long day, and I really should have gone to bed 20 minutes ago! I hope I made sense. Basically, by not having our contact info on the private labels, it guarantees the customers come back to the shops to buy. Which results in our wholesale accounts becoming successful and growing. It's a good thing. Really.

I agree. I really can't imagine owning a store and carrying a product that someone has a website address where they actually sell the same products. It just doesn't pass the giggle test to me.

I am not sure if it is a state issue or what, but I was told by my attorney when I set up the corporation that HAD to have:(somewhere on the candle)

Manufactured by ____________

Dallas, Texas

I am not sure if it is a state issue or what, but I was told by my attorney when I set up the corporation that HAD to have:(somewhere on the candle)

Manufactured by ____________

Dallas, Texas

That's what I was thinking also. I haven't figured out how I am going to incorporate my candle makers info in but I know I am for sure having it on there. Because I did not make the product I only make the label. So if my buyer has issues they can flip it over and contact the candle maker. I have been testing her candles and they are good quality I'm just saying that I thought that you had to have the manufacturer info. on there.

BTW what do you use (paper wise) to make your caution labels? I'd like to start testing different papers for the cautions labels I'm going to make. Thanks.

Back in my early years, when any account was a great wholesale account... I got a new customer who wanted her candles & soap privately labeled.. my name to appear no where on them... she was willing to pay heavily for this deal. She was going after the high end market, movie stars and such.. Sounds good eh? Sounded exciting though - I thought she would never be successful.. but who am I to kill a dream :)

Well years later... I now see my(her) candles on news stands.. I read magazine articles all the time with Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff.. the list goes on.. and on and on... all talking about how they love these candles. Linda Carter (Wonder woman) LOVES our(their) soap. Just last week the candles and soaps were featured on ET online as one of their favorites. It's exciting in a way.. but very weird as I feel famous.. but not really... my daughter loves to kid me about it... I hear alot.. "Way to go Mom" as she rolls her eyes...

I stopped offering private labeling to wholesale customers a few years ago with the exception of customers who already buying that way. I'm currently building a wholesale site for my business and am going to add "no label" wholesale candles.. I'll put a generic warning label on the bottom, they can put their own label on the candle itself. I will make them sign an agreement that they understand by buying the candles this way, they will assume the liabilty for the product.. same as I did before.

Hope this helps and didn't bore you too much... just a twist I would have never foreseen..

Take care,

Chele

OK...I am DYING to know which candles these are!!!

Back in my early years, when any account was a great wholesale account... I got a new customer who wanted her candles & soap privately labeled.. my name to appear no where on them... she was willing to pay heavily for this deal. She was going after the high end market, movie stars and such.. Sounds good eh? Sounded exciting though - I thought she would never be successful.. but who am I to kill a dream :)

Well years later... I now see my(her) candles on news stands.. I read magazine articles all the time with Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff.. the list goes on.. and on and on... all talking about how they love these candles. Linda Carter (Wonder woman) LOVES our(their) soap. Just last week the candles and soaps were featured on ET online as one of their favorites. It's exciting in a way.. but very weird as I feel famous.. but not really... my daughter loves to kid me about it... I hear alot.. "Way to go Mom" as she rolls her eyes...

I stopped offering private labeling to wholesale customers a few years ago with the exception of customers who already buying that way. I'm currently building a wholesale site for my business and am going to add "no label" wholesale candles.. I'll put a generic warning label on the bottom, they can put their own label on the candle itself. I will make them sign an agreement that they understand by buying the candles this way, they will assume the liabilty for the product.. same as I did before.

Hope this helps and didn't bore you too much... just a twist I would have never foreseen..

Take care,

Chele

I haven't figured out how I am going to incorporate my candle makers info in but I know I am for sure having it on there. Because I did not make the product I only make the label. So if my buyer has issues they can flip it over and contact the candle maker.

Don't expect any unhappy customers to take that route back to the maufacturer, and rightfully so. They'll come right to you with any complaints and IMO it's all part of being a reseller to gracefully deal directly with a customer over problems and then you go back to your wholesaler to handle the issue later. Imagine having somebody like Walmart try to direct you to GE when the lightbulbs you bought don't work. But the good news is that handling a problem with skill is when your customer service skills should shine, winning you loyal customers.