for those who sell (especially online)

Do you make your candles first and then sell them or do you have a list of your scents, take orders then sell and deliver? My thinking is make them first so they can sit for a little bit to get the scent stronger...is that a fair statement...what do you do?

I have to say though...that making one at a time is sometimes a serious pain in the patooty. So best sellers, always have a few on the line just ready to go.

Very true! And also have bunches made up if you decide to have a special sale on a certain product/scent.

I maintain a backstock of everything I make.(Except for the carved candles which are usually always made with color choices the customer chooses)

For me, it is just less stressful this way and I do believe that there is alot to be said for "cure" time.

I decided early on not to offer lots of fragrances. I have 11 in one line and 4 in the other. When I want to add a fragrance, I drop a fragrance.

Keeping life simple here:grin2:

I maintain a backstock of everything I make.(Except for the carved candles which are usually always made with color choices the customer chooses)

For me, it is just less stressful this way and I do believe that there is alot to be said for "cure" time.

I decided early on not to offer lots of fragrances. I have 11 in one line and 4 in the other. When I want to add a fragrance, I drop a fragrance.

Keeping life simple here:grin2:

That is exactly what I do and spookily I have 11 fragrances listed, but I add one special each month. I couldn't bear to have to make one candle at a time and I generally do a batch of one fragrance at a time and make several variations, just to keep a small stock.

I think you have to work through a way you want to operate and assess the pros and cons of what will work for you in the time you have available. Nothing is written in stone and the beauty being that if you decide to do something a certain way and it isn't working, it's not that difficult to change tack and go in another direction. I just have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about offering something for sale that I don't actually have - but that's just me.

This is for Ramaroa-- Your web site looks wonderful! I noticed you use the Hex jars for your candles! They are so classy looking! I bought a bunch of the 9oz Hex jars and have still not truly mastered wicking them. I wondered if you'd be willing to share which wicks you use in them? I have htp and cotton wicks. The htp104 & 105 seem to work when I first make them but then when I take one to burn lets say a month or two later they Don't burn the same (side to side, full melt pool)!!! Has that ever happened to anyone else? Maybe it was the wrong wick to start with really??? Tried wicking up to htp1212 and it's too hot---burning too fast! I tried the 62 cotton ---seems okay on some but too hot on others! Before I buy any more packs of 100 wicks I thought I'd ask if you'd be willing to help. Thank you for any input, it would be so greatly appreciated!

Lorraine

Oh! I use 100% soywax and 1.5oz fragrance oil per pound of wax and I do use liquid dyes. Thanks again!

This is for Ramaroa-- Your web site looks wonderful! I noticed you use the Hex jars for your candles! They are so classy looking! I bought a bunch of the 9oz Hex jars and have still not truly mastered wicking them. I wondered if you'd be willing to share which wicks you use in them? I have htp and cotton wicks. The htp104 & 105 seem to work when I first make them but then when I take one to burn lets say a month or two later they Don't burn the same (side to side, full melt pool)!!! Has that ever happened to anyone else? Maybe it was the wrong wick to start with really??? Tried wicking up to htp1212 and it's too hot---burning too fast! I tried the 62 cotton ---seems okay on some but too hot on others! Before I buy any more packs of 100 wicks I thought I'd ask if you'd be willing to help. Thank you for any input, it would be so greatly appreciated!

Lorraine

Oh! I use 100% soywax and 1.5oz fragrance oil per pound of wax and I do use liquid dyes. Thanks again!

Thank you for your kind comments about my site, I'm still toying with the hex jars really and only bought in a small quantity whilst I decide if I want to buy a full case and keep them as a permanent feature. Anyway I'm drifting between CD8 and CD10s with the smallest jar (195ml - I'm not sure what that equates to in US Fl oz) I'm using 100% Soy Container Wax and 1 oz to one pound of fragrance, with liquid dye. Sometimes with the CD8 there is a small hang-up usually just one side of the rim, but nothing too get upset about, but the CD10s usually sort that out. I wish there was a CD9 though as that would 'probably' be perfect. :grin2: Good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll find one that fits.

I keep ready-made stock on hand at all times so orders can ship immediately. Once in a great while a customer orders something I just ran out of. So I pour for the order, but put a note on there that the candle will be better if they wait a day or two before burning. :) The candle gets a couple days of curing in transit.

With handmade cold-process soap, there isn't much other choice but to keep ready-made stock on hand -- it needs several weeks to cure! LOL

Lorraine I have some CD's if you would like me to send you some. Just let me know how many you want and of what ones. That way you don't have to buy a big bulk of ones you won't need and hopefully narrow it down. The ones I know I have for sure are CD6 CD7 CD8 CD10 I might have more if I keep digging lol