which type of label?

Which type of label?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of label?

• Picture
    • Solid/texture

For a clean, modern look, with uncolored soy wax which do you prefer on a label? A label with a picture in the background or a label with more of a solid or slightly texurized background? I use these jars:

madison_jars_lg.jpg

Ok, which one:

blackcherry.jpgbermudatriangle2.jpg

Picture in the back

OR

blackcherry2.jpg

bermuda.jpg

Solid/texture in the back?

Looks like the Lindsays are thinking alike on this one!

I liked the wave texture behind the blue labels. It made my eye draw to the text on it, which IMO is important.

However, with the cherry scented one, Honestly, I skimmed right over the one with no picture. After reading someone else's comment, I had to scroll back up, and look again. I completely missed it. The Colors were too similar, and it just become a solid and ignorable block. If you were to change the color to something that made the text section "pop", I think it would work well.

And now I'm so not going to be any help at all. I liked the wave texture over the island picture background. And even if you were to change the color on the cherries one, I still really liked the actual pictures of cherries. See? No help whatsoever! LOL!

While I love polls, and seeking other people's opinions, I've always found that I end up going with what I leaned towards in the beginning. Everyone is going to prefer something different. I think here, consistency is going to be the key? Are you going to be able to come up with picture for each scent if you go with the pictures option? Are you going to run into copyright issues on them? There are a lot of legalities there, so you have to tread carefully.

Go with what appeals to you the most. What you like the look of, and you're comfortable with work wise (hunting down pictures for each scent could take quite a bit of time). I love those jars, btw!

I am sorry, but I think it's too much color. If you are going for a natural look, you might want to just go with either a clear or white label with black letters. Than add a picture for the background as you have done with the cherries and ocean. Just my 2cents.....

ooo, now I like that idea heavenscentu.

I just find that everyone out there has to incorporate a picture. But you know...sometimes I feel that cheapens the concept of a handpoured candle. I don't want something that sticks out like a sore thumb in my living room. I'd rather have it be an accent. & that jar type is definetly an upscale accent.

I guess I agree with Heavenscent - I lean more toward simplicity when it comes to labels. It makes them look more classy and with the jar you have I don't think you need anything on the label to take away from the very upscale look the jar has. :2cents:

Too much color for my taste too. I 'think' what I'd do is have a picture in the background with a universal label over top. In other words, different pictures for different scents but with with the same insert type over top of the different pictures. I'm so not making sense here! Think cherry lable with a white info box (where you have a color box) over top of the picture. Then maybe an ocean label with the same white info box that you used on the cherry label, over the ocean picture.That way you could have different pictures for your scents but the sameness of the center part could be your identy. Can you tell I don't have a label yet? :embarasse

I think the best way for you to tell what you like best is to take a clear label with only black print - and make your print stand out - on one of your jars with the white wax, then take a white label with picture in background and the white box with your scent name in it and then compare. That is the only way for you to really tell what you like best and what looks best with your jars, because everybody likes different types! hth

I love the last label look best of all and can invision the candle showint through! You have some great ideas though and Im sure you will create something that you really like and that will help sell your candles even more!

Great work!

Lynn

I don't color my wax. I thought that not having any color on my labels would make my jars seem "boring" and just thrown together. What do you think?

I think the classy jar with the uncolored wax looks great by itself. I have a 11oz tumbler that I'm going to keep dyeless and am thinking about not putting a label at all on the glass.

For my metro jars I don't even put a label on the jar itself but one on the top and bottom. I think that less is better. I however like your labels for a different type candle. For the uncolored, simple and clean look...the label should reflect that. my2scents

I love those jars and in my opinion less is more. I would not want to much label on that sort of candle, I have researched er'go and pacifica and I love their marketing for that type of tumbler. I know you have worked hard on them, a decision would be difficult. Good Luck

Natalie

I agree less is more, especially for a modern look. Also worth considering that the more colour you have, the more they cost to print. If you are printing them yourself, big blocks of colour will eat your printer cartridges in no time at all.

Of the ones you have here, I like the bluey sea tones with the picture, not so keen on the pink - although I do like the cherries, I think the pink detracts from the simplicity and naturalness of the cherries.

Actually I just had another look at the pictures, could you try the first two but leave the centre strip white or clear (with just your name etc) bordered with the picture. It would look nice and clean and 'fresher'. Just an idea!