Stearic for rustics

Hiya folks,

I've searched for info on this and get such varying answers.

How much stearin do you use to get a rustic effect?

I've seen 2 tablespoons, 3 tablespoons (level/heaped?) and 10%.

I shall be pouring between 145-150 and not cooling the moulds prior.

anyone have a definitive answer, if there is one lol

Hi Wick, I normally put 5% Stearin into my straight paraffin and it seems to work OK. The pics of candles I recently posted on the gallery were using this mix. I start pouring my first layer at 150 and each layer go up a bit in temp, but this is not really necessary as long as you do not wait toooo long between pours. I poke relief holes about 2 - 3 hours after the last layer and pour the top up wax fairly hot. Give it a go, you can always remelt them.!

I'm not very scientific or precise when it comes to measuring stearic for rustics...but I go with 3 heaping tablespoons per lb of paraffin wax and pour around 150 degrees into room temperature molds. Works great for me.

well that came out PANTS!!

I added 10% stearic and poured at 145.

I remembered, the candle I melted down had snowflake oil in, so not sure if that interferred with it?

Its got rustic at the top of the candle lovely, but the bottom 2/3rds it come off in big pieces and is stuck inside the mould. Its a hexagonal mould and its almost like the rustic on each side has been peeled off in one big lump.

I poured early this morning and have only just unmould, it slid out itself when I turned it upside down and mould was cold.

I'll try to post a piccie if needed, but from the description, any advice?

pants lolol, ermmmm can't really say except if you were caught short, you might get it in your pants and its a 4 letter word meaning poop ;)

Heres a piccie, actually I don't tend to use any mould release, except in one other mould, I did it once and its permanantly greased lol. Will try it again tomorrow and use grease, it was just weird how it was so uniform all the way around.

rusticmango.jpg

I think you will get better results if you pour 2-3" layers at a time. After each layer, gently swirl the wax in a circle motion inside the mold and let it set up to the point of having a thick skin of wax, and when tilted, you can see the liquid wax roll just underneath the surface. Continue pouring in layers and gently swirling and then poke your relief holes about an hour after the last pour. From your picture it looks like you might have a mottled there but with bits of frost on the outside. When you pour your wax all at once, it's hard to control the temp because it stays hot in the mold for quite a while. If you pour it in layers, it can cool faster because there is less wax to cool. I hope that made sense. If I've totally confused you, I apologize. LOL

No, it won't give you lines. If you pour at the right time, you can still pour at the same temperature, around 150-160 and the layers will adhere just fine. If you wait a little too long, you can always hit the top of each layer with a heat gun for about 5-10 seconds first, then do your pour and swirl gently. No need to use a water bath either. This is how I do it and get good results. It takes a little practice, but you'll get it. Just keep trying....good luck!

No, it won't give you lines. If you pour at the right time, you can still pour at the same temperature, around 150-160 and the layers will adhere just fine. If you wait a little too long, you can always hit the top of each layer with a heat gun for about 5-10 seconds first, then do your pour and swirl gently. No need to use a water bath either. This is how I do it and get good results. It takes a little practice, but you'll get it. Just keep trying....good luck!

thanks Fern, will give it a go tomorrow :)

Are you using an aluminum or metal mold? Aluminum works much better. I had a very difficult time getting a rustic finish with metal molds, alot of people do. Don't know if that's your problem or not. But keep trying...it took me quite a few tries before I got it. You might also want to wait until the next day to remove your candle from the mold. Sometimes if you pull it when it's even the slightest bit warm your frost will stick inside the mold. If it doesn't come out easily after waiting overnight, try putting it in the refrigerator for about half an hour and then pull it. Let me know how you make out...

Hiya Fern,

I finished it about 10pm last night and took it out about midday today. It slid out on its own.

The mould is one with a seam, is that metal? I've only got a very thin, tall one without the seam, may try that.

Was pouring at bout 145, wondering whether to stay the same, or go up or down any

That's a metal mold. You could help keep it cool with a cold towel, but it looks like the candle was forced out instead of it agreeing to come out on its own, sometimes happens in humid conditions and often happens when one isn't willing to be patient much longer (guilty as charged here).