What FO % do you use in GB 444?

I was curious about what has been working with your GB 444 wax. I've been using around 9% FO, as the recommended FO for this wax is 9-11% FO....but, someone has also suggested for me to try 6% FO. What % of FO has everyone been using, and what has seemed to be working for you?.....Just curious.

Jamers,

I'm trying to compare this wax with the C3 wax. I'm trying so hard to let it cure like we're supposed to, but when I read Stella's posts about two day curing, I get impatient wanting to test for scent throw! Ughh!!

Stella....where are you? Any suggestions??

I've been doing a 10% FO load. I wonder if cutting back would help? Like the less is more route? :D Cuz all I know is that I'm not getting a good throw at all with the percentage I'm using. How about you? What percentage are you using?

~~hugs~~

Suzy

It's kinda hard to know where to go with these %s. The information that is given for GB 444 says that it's FO is 9-11%. Does that mean that's where a person will get the best scent throws, or is it common to still be able to go down to (i.e.) 6% and still get a good throw/possibly a better throw? Thanks for responding. It helps to talk about all this!

It's kinda hard to know where to go with these %s. The information that is given for GB 444 says that it's FO is 9-11%. Does that mean that's where a person will get the best scent throws, or is it common to still be able to go down to (i.e.) 6% and still get a good throw/possibly a better throw? Thanks for responding. It helps to talk about all this!

Completely depends on the FO. 9-11% is the max load.

I've been knocked out the door with as little as 4-5% with some fragrances in this wax, and poor performance with up to 10% with others.

I usually start in the 1oz per pound (of 444 wax) range, though. Seems to be a good spot to begin.

Thanks for the info. I may have to try 6%.....just to see. I've been using 9% with Peaks FO. I have a candle in each room of my home, and as I'm burning them, I take a minute to walk into each room to see what kind of hot throw I'm getting. So far, I've been happy with it. The thing is....I've never tried a smaller %, so who knows.....? One thing that is happening though.....my cotton-core wicks are mushrooming. Depending on who a person talks to, I know everyone has different preferences on mushrooming or not. I'm using the wide mouth 16 oz. & 8 oz. jars, with 12.75 oz. of GB 444 wax and 1.25 oz. (9%) of FO. I have a C-85, which is the biggest cotton-core wick from Peaks, but it's the only one that will get to the edge of those 3"+ diam. jars. Could they be mushrooming from the amount of FO? I know they're not too big for the jar. Any suggestions out there?

I've been using 9% and been having an awesome hot throw and cold throw but I have large schrooms (I'm using RRD 40's and 47's with a 2inch diam. metro jar). I just cut back to 6% to see if I can get rid of those nasty schrooms. I'm still curing. I just hope I don't loose the fragrance throw. The cold throw does seem a little less at 6%. I'll update at the end of the week with my results.

Shine

Don't lose heart with that cold throw. I had a Sweet Pumpkin Spice that didn't have the greatest cold throw, but once it got lit.......the hot throw was great! But, I guess that's a matter of preference also. Some like a strong cold throw, too.....especially if they are selling. The first smell may be what "catches" a customer! Shine....I'll be curious what your results are. Keep us posted!

I have been playing around with my own blends of parasoy and noticed I have gotten some mushrooming on a couple. I don't want to compromise the scent of the candle by cutting back on FO so how do you correct the shrooms other than trimming the wicks? Do you go up or down a size of wicks or what?

I haven't had this happen with my 100% soy candles. :undecided

I use GB444, LX wicks and average 8% on FO. I've had great success.

Would you mind sharing what jars you use and what LX wicks? I have found with my 444 that I really have had to wick up with my CD wicks. I have every size LX wick there is but not tried them with this wax, just other waxes.

Thanks!

Yeeaahh!! It's fun to hear success stories! I've been testing in 3.25" diam. jars, with 9% FO, C-85 wicks from Peaks.......I'm getting good hot throw, just some pretty good mushrooming going on. I've been trimming those wicks...just to see if that helps. Still mushrooms.....but do I continue on with them, since they're throwing the scent well? Thereasa, are you getting mushrooms on your wicks?

I use straight sided jars, diameter of 2 7/8", LX 18 for most scents... occasionally go up to a LX 20 or down to a LX 16. Mushrooming hasn't been a problem... I'm playing with redig-glo dye chips right now. I usually use liquid dye, but there's this crazy part of me that enjoys trying different things. Initially, no matter how much I stirred, there were fragments of dye chip left... so I tried melting it with my heat gun just prior to pouring my wax. Believe it or not, this has made prettier candles. Although I had pretty candles before, my tops are smooth as glass now. GB 444 is my favorite wax I've ever worked with.... so far, lol.

I started with the rediglo but had the same problem with some of it being left and giving me "speckled" candles. I have liquid dye but me and liquid dye is like turning a kid loose with finger paints. I finally tried the color crystals from Make Scents and they work GREAT for me.

I will have to pour some testers with the LX wicks today. Thanks for the help Tereasa!!

Jami, it will be fun to hear how your testers turn out. You'll have to keep us posted. I've also been noticing a little bit of speckling on the bottom of my jars, when I pick them up and look under them for inspection. I use the regular dye chips. I've been loving the colors I've been getting, but I was wondering about adding the dye chips at a little hotter temperature. I may try that and see if it helps. Tereasa, have you been happy with your HT and CT at 8% and with the LX wick? Also, have you had even burning candles? I assumed so, by your first response......but I was just wondering about the details! Thanks for such helpful info.!!

ya'll are very welcome... I hope I've been a smidgen of help. I guess I should have said that MOST of my FO is 8%... that is the highest I'll use. Some I drop down to 6%. If I can't get good hot/cold throw at 8%, I figure that FO just isn't for me. As far as LX wicks.. they work great for me. I've tried many, many types. I think RRD or CD would be my next choice. But, I get a good HT, good melt pool, and nothing bad happens with the LX, lol. I'm venturing into the palm wax bandwagon now. I just poured my first glas glow candles last night and so far... WOW!