ok, I made the bath salt work - ...

LaVida

I figured out how to color it.. The mica's more the oxides work... here's a disater bowl.... everything was so clumped together..ilk! To bad I can't figure out what to di with it.. I guess i'll have to chuck it.. :(...

100_2476-vi.jpg

here's fd&c dyed dead sea salt... these powders are SO expensive! The orange and blue are powders and the purple are the wilton colors. I left them to dry for about 12 hours (well I just did the orange).... Can someone recommend a cheap place to get these dyes?

100_2478-vi.jpg

I just use the food colors, mix the color with the salts and put them in the oven on low low low for an hour or so stir them every so often and they are clumpless. I too liked the ease of the powders but the cost was too much.

Very nice looking salts btw!

Cara

I tried the oven method... unfortunately I burned my salt... *l*... I cooked something then turned the stove way down.... I don't mind leaving it to dry for a little bit... not like I'm home monitoring it anyway... I may get the sampler from FNWL... not now, can't afford it....

This might be your only option. I gave up on DSS (I only use them in foot scrubs) as my bath salts were turning to mush in this humidity, even in a tightly sealed jar. Another problem I had was w/ coloring. The colorants I used turned different colors when they hit the DSS, plus for me they didn't hold a scent very well.

These colors look great!!! Greatness doesn't come cheap-LOL :D

I tried the oven method... unfortunately I burned my salt... *l*... I cooked something then turned the stove way down.... I don't mind leaving it to dry for a little bit... not like I'm home monitoring it anyway... I may get the sampler from FNWL... not now, can't afford it....

ooh! i had that to happen and man I was pissed, I wasted some expensive salts.

since i dont color my salts, i leave the dendritic(sp?) to dry as it is the salt i add my scent to. once it is completely dry, which is normally a day or so, i add them to the rest of the mixture which is Epsom, DSS, and himayla(sp) salts and natrasorb. the scent holds really well. i also put them in 8 oz jars with the seal disc thing,and mine do jst fine that way. i also only offer them during the colder months.

We sell a ton of bath salts at our store (which always fascinates me because I think of bath salts as a kids Mother's day project :)

Here's how we do it. We mix several DDS together and few other salts - we buy in bulk from http://www.saltworks.us - sorry can't reveal which ones or how much.. I do have to keep a few things secret :) - but I found it nice to mix coarse, fine etc... lots of different sizes and textures - make it more eye catching.

Anyway... large mixing bowl a little over half full of the salt blend... a capful of Jojoba Oil... several drops of food coloring or liquid B&B dyes.. a capful of FO. Blend, blend, blend.... scoop into packaging... taadaaah. The salts have a sheen to them from the jojoba oil... never dried them.. never had any issues with them.. we have been selling it for years and years. Simple and sells like crazy.

If the FO has vanilla in it (or if we suspect it does, I add Vanilla Color Stabilizer in with the FO) We sell our 5.5 oz bath salts for $5.95

http://www.buggytowncandles.com/spasalts.html

HTH,

thanks Chele, I know how to do it...(this is just the first time I'm selling dyed salts).. I just want to know where to get cheap fd&c powders from.

I love that black salt on that salt.. wow!

your salts are beautiful by the way. :D

Oh okay :) Sorry for the surplus of info. :)

I was just reading the thread and seeing all the additives and drying in ovens etc... thinking holy moly... thats alot of work for bath salts. I like to take the simple route whenevever possible ;)

Have a fabulous day!

Chele

Oh okay :) Sorry for the surplus of info. :)

I was just reading the thread and seeing all the additives and drying in ovens etc... thinking holy moly... thats alot of work for bath salts. I like to take the simple route whenevever possible ;)

Have a fabulous day!

Chele

I know what you mean by the simple route. i am the same way.

I've always eyed up they're salts...but they are on the pricey side once you toss in shipping, etc. Maybe someone could coop...and we could buy enough for free shipping!

that sounds like a wonderful idea