Tip to Get Customer to buy bigger candles?

I have many size candle jars to choose from, and everyone seems to only want to by the smallest ones, i think because they are cheaper. I used to have the 8 oz jelly jar and 8 oz metro jar, sold jelly jar for 5.00 and metro jar for 7.00, sold a ton of jelly jars and few metros. No longer selling jelly to help push metro jar. Larger jars are not selling that good. Asked customer and some say that they want smaller candles all around their house so it will smell everywhere. So any will help.

Here is my price list

6oz $4.00

8oz metro jar $7.00

16oz Apot. jar $12.00

28oz bean pot jar $20.00

I appreciate you honest opinion

I'm not sure how this translates into burn time, but you are selling 30 oz of wax (5 x 6 oz) for the same price as your 28 oz candle. I would think that there is as much work in a 6 oz candle as in a 28 oz one. Of course the actual cost of supplies would be much less.

I would probably raise the price of the smaller candle a bit, so that the bigger one is a better deal.

Let see, your price per ounce works out to be:

6 oz jar - 0.67 per oz

8 oz jar - 0.88 per oz

16 oz jar - 0.75 per oz

28 oz jar - 0.71 per oz

If I were the customer I'd go for the smallest one too, as it's the cheapest, not only dollar wise but also in terms of unit price. If you want them to go for the bigger candles you could try bumping up the price of the small candle, to make it feel more worth it to get the larger one.

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the one that sells and discontinue what doesn't? A jelly jar should scent an entire medium sized house if the conditions are right. Windows closed, room doors open.

You can't force customers to buy something they don't want. Stick with what they want. Evaluate where you buy scents from and pick ones that throw better.

You're prices are good -- lower than mine. I think this may be one of those things that differs by where you're located. Kinda like different scents sell well in different areas. I sell more votives than anything else & it used to bother me, but I sell a LOT of votives & have a larger profit margin on those little suckers. Containers sell well, but I have fewer customers that buy the larger sizes. I have found that the average person doesn't burn candles as often, so they buy the smaller sizes. The die-hard candle junkies burn them a lot, so they buy larger sizes. Because of this theory, I've seen a lot of candlemakers who will charge a bit more for the smaller sizes (since they sell better) & offer better pricing for the larger sizes to help sell more of them. You just have to find what will work in your area.

Susan.

Let see, your price per ounce works out to be:

6 oz jar - 0.67 per oz

8 oz jar - 0.88 per oz

16 oz jar - 0.75 per oz

28 oz jar - 0.71 per oz

If I were the customer I'd go for the smallest one too, as it's the cheapest, not only dollar wise but also in terms of unit price. If you want them to go for the bigger candles you could try bumping up the price of the small candle, to make it feel more worth it to get the larger one.

I agree, I also have 4 sizes, 5, 10, 16, & 26 apothecaries. My pricing structure is

5=$1.00 per oz

10=$.60 per oz

16=$.57 per oz

26=$.42 per oz

But, where I use the same style jars, just different sizes, that makes a difference also. There's only about $.30 difference in jar cost from my 5 ounce to my 26 ounce.

I know it's nice to offer a variety, but you may even want to consider using your more costly jars for your smaller candles and less expensive jars for your larger candles. That way you don't have to mark your larger candles up so much to make back your money. JMO

I just like sticking to the same thing, it's easier on the brain. I don't have so much to figure.

I dropped my 8 oz and only carrie 12 and 16 ounce. The 16 ounce is a much better buy. I didn't make enough on the 8 ounce. I tested the waters long and hard before I dropped the 8ounce completely though. Test it out, don't bring ANY of your smallest. See if you still see the same amount. I do. People always buy the cheapest (least amount to spend). Your repeat customers are the ones who will start looking for the best deal.

If you don't want to drop the small one then offer 2 for sales on the larger candles.

Dat

I dropped carrying various sized jars to make both testing and selling easier. I too found most wanted the smaller jars.. so was more cost effective to buy larger quantities of it lowering my cog. ALso, too many decesions and a customer often will leave with out buying anything. Once they like a scent.. here it is.. sold. None of this hemming and hawing about the jar.

The 6oz price is lower than my wholesale price for a 5oz jar. If you want to sell more larger candles then increase the price on your smaller ones. People are afraid to price their candles higher for fear people won't buy them but if there's one thing i've learned in business is people WILL pay more. Don't you, when you find something you want and even if its more than you want to pay, you buy it, and feel good about it because you believe you are getting better because it does cost more, I know i've done it. Why do you think Yankee does so well, because they cost more and people feel like they are getting something special when they buy one, we may not think so but they ARE the biggies and they have set the bar for everyone else. I hear people say "people won't pay that in my town" and thats BS, they will. Bottom line, be proud of your work and price them accordingly, believe it or not sometimes people won't buy it if its too cheap.....

i have actually found that people have the tendency to buy what you show them. we have 3 sizes a 4oz tin, a 10oz JJ, and a 14 oz salsa jar. if i show someone a certain scent in the 14oz they don't usually go looking for a smaller size. they go oohh that smellls good i'll take that.