What an AWFUL show.

Mei-Mei

I'm just posting this as a warning to the people who do fairs to do your research before committing to a fair. I didn't, and I certainly learned my lesson today.:undecided:

I always heard that a fair in a town nearby was pretty good, so I signed up. Hubby and I drove up this morning to set up. Everything was fine until I realized that the person next to me was also selling Bath and Body things. Hmmmm. And the person behind her was selling candles. Hmmmmm. And the person next to her was selling candles and bath and body.

Turns out the fair organizers thought it would be a great idea to group all the people who were selling similar items. And they didn't limit the number of candlemakers. My husband walked down the block and counted ten before giving up and turning back. All the people selling pet supplies were in one area. All the people selling wreaths were in another. It was awful.

Plus we weren't allowed to bring coolers and we naturally assumed there would be water for sale because it was outdoors and HOT. The only thing they had for sale to drink was Coke. Not coke products. Coke. The lady in the booth next to ours actually left her booth to walk to Walgreens and buy us all water. Finally there were two port-o-lets for the entire fair. Two. There were hundreds of people. Two. Port. O. Lets.:tongue2:

Anyway, not very many people were buying. I did make my booth rental back but I wish I had taken the time to ask how the festival organizers intended to arrange the vendors. I wouldn't have bothered if I had known I would be surrounded by other candle vendors. I felt so sorry for some of the vendors. They didn't get sales at all.

Okay, rant over.

Sorry to hear that. I would most definitely complain to the organizers :( I have never heard of grouping like products, what a way to kill a show. I would definitely avoid that show. All the shows that I have done keep like stalls apart and limit the number of each type.

Sorry to hear that. I would most definitely complain to the organizers :( I have never heard of grouping like products, what a way to kill a show. I would definitely avoid that show. All the shows that I have done keep like stalls apart and limit the number of each type.

I have a small show on may 12 and so far i know there are two candles vendors including myself. As far as i know, we will also be grouped together.

That really sucks! Sorry you had such bad luck! That organizer must be new-- and dense! Common sense says don't group similar crafters together.

I would complain and make sure you cross it off your list for next year. Find another show to do. Trust me there are plenty!!

OMG, that's horrible! Sorry you had such a bad experience! Mine was the Eagle's Hall, and I will never forget it. I didn't even make my table fee back and got soap thrown at me by some old broomrider who didn't like my prices!! (which were actually lower than market....I was new and I will admit, underpriced my products then) I had made so many items and had barely sold a thing! This hall was on the outskirts of town, and come to find out there was a huge craft show going on in town that day! I cried the whole way home. Live and learn, I say! Here's hoping the next one is alot better for you! :D

I guess the organizers were thinking from a consumer's standpoint and not the crafter's. While it would certainly be convenient to have all similar products and booths grouped together, it's really not very fair to all of the crafters competing against each other side by side.

I can see where such an arrangement could bring in large groups of shoppers because it's easier to find what you want. Large crowds = more vendors who want to participate, which = more money for the organizer. But, with so much of the same thing, someone is bound to get the short end of the stick, and vendors will slowly but surely drop out, which means a loss of revenue for the organizer in the longrun.

We did one last year, last minute as my Brother-in-law had two spaces, but his buddy backed out 2 days before and he knew we sold candles. We had just moved from Maine about a week prior so we didn't even have everything unpacked! I decided to do it anyway.

This fair grouped also, but limited the number. My Bother-in-law sells collectibles so I was with the collectibles and the other candle makers were on the opposite end of the fair. We had an ideal spot too. Even without any type of setup we made 10x the space cost.

Have the Spring version of that show this weekend and I'm in with the collectibles again..lol. Helps when his wifes parents are part of the organizers. Seems most shows I have seen around here group crafter's with similar products. Not sure how they all do though.

Sorry for hijacking the thread and hope you do better next time.

I have had this happen to me before. There was 4 of us grouped together and it seemed that the customers were getting confused on who booth was who's. All of us complained to the organizer. This was the first year that they decided to do this and this was the 8th year of me doing this show. I did horrible and so did the other candlemakers. So yea, complain to the organizer.