Wicking Gel ??

AnjieBurdett

OK, I have test burned the gels I made with the glass fish embeds. The melt pool is too small....should it go right to the edges like a normal container candle would? My question is, do you have to use the special wicks with the wax coating on? Or can you use 'normal' wicks that you would use for paraffin? I have LX, Cotton Core, ECO and Flat Braid wicks, would any of these be suitable in gel? The wicks I bought from Hobbycraft have a very fine wire wrapped around the wick under the wax coating, is this essential??

Blimey, I've just grasped the pillar wicking gumph and now I feel like I know nothing again LOL.

Anjie,x.

There are special wicks you can buy for gel, but I haven't used any yet.

If your wicks are coated with wax, place them on a paper towel in a pan in a warm oven. The wax will melt off of them. Otherwise, when you pour your gel it will melt the wax and make your candle cloudy. I have also just put my wicks in a little pot on the stove top and warmed them enough to get the wax off.

should it go right to the edges like a normal container candle would?

The answer to this question is NO. Gel wax it a different beast. You can not decide on the wicking till you have burned to the bottom. The flame will draw the gel to it. You want a much smaller melt pool that a regular candle. You want when the candle is done a thin layer of gel left on the container 1/8 to 1/4 is ideal. But if it is a little thinner or thicker that is okay.

Something we all seem to forget or don't think about is a gel melt pool is over 250 degrees fahrenheit. That is hot, if your melt pool is that hot so will be the container if the melt pool reaches it.

• 1 month later...