? about Reed Diffuser Bases

Candle Man

I don't know about that brand of base, but the scent is coming out of the reeds, not the bottle, so the neck doesn't change it that much. What type of fragrance are you using? I offer reed diffusers but my FO has to be a strong one to begin with...lemongrass, eucalyptus, coconut lime verbena, cottage breeze (yankee dupe) seem to sell very well. I use C&S' diffuser base and also Lotioncrafters IPM (I think that's what it is), and have great success. It won't throw like a tart or a candle, it's subtle scenting, not blow your doors off. :cheesy2:

We use the diffuser base and DPG from the Chemistry Store with equally good results. We use about a dozen FO's, and all are fine. Don't know about the jar opening diameter. We have only used one jar. Oh, even though the DPG works fine, it is a bit too thick for me. But bottom line, we are happy with the base. hth

I am using 40% FO to 60% Base.

It will only fill up the bathroom when I flip the reeds, and then it only last for a short time of about 1 hour, untill I flip the reeds again.

I wonder if all the bases are the same? I would like some more info on other bases, to see if any of these bases are any good.

I started with an alcohol & FO (not drinking or rubbing alcohol) and got better results than this base. I just don't want to use the alcohol anymore because of the dangers.

Maybe I will sample from some other suppliers.

We noticed in testing that some FO's are way too viscous and don't pull up the reeds well. For us, when the diffusers are working well, you see bubbling going on from the holes at the tops of the reeds. Are you using bamboo or rattan? The opening of the jars is 3/4". Ours last for four to five months. We test in our two home bathrooms. My wife has to turn her reeds at least once a week to have good throw (large bath). My bathroom, like my closet :) , is small. I have turned the reeds once in the past four months. It is very fragrant without turning them. I touch the reeds often to make sure they are damp.

We noticed in testing that some FO's are way too viscous and don't pull up the reeds well. For us, when the diffusers are working well, you see bubbling going on from the holes at the tops of the reeds. Are you using bamboo or rattan? The opening of the jars is 3/4". Ours last for four to five months. We test in our two home bathrooms. My wife has to turn her reeds at least once a week to have good throw (large bath). My bathroom, like my closet
:)
, is small. I have turned the reeds once in the past four months. It is very fragrant without turning them. I touch the reeds often to make sure they are damp.

I do use the proper rattan reeds.

I have never heard or seen mine bubble, at the tips, and they do feel damp.

I use 12" reeds in a 6" bottle that holds 3oz's of liquid.

Is it better to use a bottle that holds more oz's, or does that matter?

What %'s do you use?

Didn't reply to all of your post. The bottle we use only holds three oz. I don't know if the bottle can be larger or smaller. The first bottle we used worked great, so we never researched further. Oh, we have tried alcohol with the more viscous FO's. Didn't seem to work well. The throw was better, but it did not last long.

Ours have lasted 6-8 months. We don't use an alcohol base due to evaporation. As mentioned not all oils will work. I have White Tea & Ginger in my foyer in my house and it scents it nicely with a 60% base 40% FO ratio. I've had it in there since September. One of my co-workers has one on her desk (reception area) and it's still going strong since November with Coconut Lime Verbena.

Good luck!

Thanks, Y'all

I'll test more scents and see which throws better. This reed testing is more expensive and takes longer than candles.

I just hate that I can't get faster repete business because the diffuser base last for months per reed diffuser. Unless they want others for different areas or a different scent.

Candle Man - I've discovered that vanilla's/vanilla blends don't work well at all. And with the thicker oils I needed to add more base which, in turn, "weakens" the throw. So now I primarily make scent selections based on the oil viscosity and OOB intensity.

I looked at Candle Science when I started. But, compared to the prices charged by a majority of the other suppliers, it seemed too good to be true.

Had good success w/Bell-A-Roma. Company contact stated it's alcohol and DPG free. HTH

Thanks, Y'all

I'll test more scents and see which throws better. This reed testing is more expensive and takes longer than candles.

I just hate that I can't get faster repete business because the diffuser base last for months per reed diffuser. Unless they want others for different areas or a different scent.

If you want repeat business then do what Pier 1 does...use an alchol base that evaporates like crazy. (I'm only kidding).

As we speak I am off to package over 300 reed diffusers (yes, you can sell them).

I never had any luck with these things. I flipped a lot but then maybe I had the wrong sticks. But the BIG question still is.... What is the base? I want to know what I'm buying cause I may already have it. Would like to be able to compare how one works against the other. As long as they keep it a secret I'm not getting anymore. What if I spill it on my hand and it eats the skin or my kid drinks some??? Remember when Cyclomethicone was just called perfume base or dry oil? It's probable water with Polysorbate or FO "Modifier" so the water and oil will mix.

I get my base from WSP and use about 1.5 oz base and add fo to bring it to about 3.5 oz. It throws real good with the fo's I have used. Get my reeds from them also. Have an apple jack & peel made in Jan and it is still stong. Flip about every week. hth