Perhaps a numb question, but I'll ask anyways...

How do ya'll clean up after pouring candles? I mean... there's a coating of wax on stuff that you've used. How do you get the wax off melting pots and stuff if it's not recommended to let any of the wax down your sink drain.

I'd be interested in the clean up routine of someone that pours multiple scents in a give day.

Kimberly

Thanks Casey,

I didn't know if leaving a residual amount in the pot would make a difference or not...lol... I was envisioning having to buy hundreds of pour pots in order to keep switching scents. So glad I asked, you've saved me the hassle of breaking into a nosebleed over the expense of *extra* pots.

Kimberly

I only melt wax in my presto and pour pot. I then transfer the melted wax into my pyrex glass measuring cups to add color, FO, mix and cool before pouring into containers.

Once I have poured the candles and/or tarts, I simply pop the glass into the microwave for about 20 seconds. I then wipe it out with inexpensive paper towels and throw the paper towels away.

I am ready to go on to the next batch after that.

I wipe out my pot with paper towels to get them as clean as possible but then I also wash them with soap and water. I also clean my stir sticks and thermometer the same way. I just don't want to take the chance that the fragrances mingle.

:timeout: Um...you probably think I iron levis now, don't you?

I have two 150# melters and while pouring I have 4 pots. I try to distinguish pots by color, only because I don't wipe out my pots. Lite colors in one, medium colors in another, darks in another, or I go by scent, because I don't wipe out my measuring cups either. All little wax or scent from previous batch won't make a difference. Please remember, don't make it hard on yourself, the end result will all be the same.

I hear so many people doing things that aren't necessary. Just remember, your labor is not a calculated cost in your candles. I don't calculate my labor because It's a given in the cost, but doing shortcuts it's worth it!

People who ladle wax, pour into 4 oz. cups or heated pyrex cups is labor wasted, etc. and is too labor intensive. If you're going to pour, POUR! I always keep an inventory of over 1000 candles! I'm just ready for the next order.....

I pour by the 4 lb. pour pot and that will do 10- 8 oz. sq. mason jars or 5 16 oz. mason jars. In any given day I can pour 350-400 candles.

Remember, do what's smart.

HTH

Carrie

I usually heat the pot back up and wipe out the residue with paper towel. Then I wash it, didn't realize I could just leave it. I have always been worried that the fragrance/color would affect my next candle. I am so thankful for this site and all of you with your experience!!

Thanks Carrie, that was exactly what I needed to know and ditto on the being thankful for this site... I could pick ya'lls brains over and over and over and still find something new that I didn't know before.

:bow: To the power pourers... may you forever reign! :D

Kimberly

I wipe out my pot with paper towels to get them as clean as possible but then I also wash them with soap and water. I also clean my stir sticks and thermometer the same way. I just don't want to take the chance that the fragrances mingle.

:timeout: Um...you probably think I iron levis now, don't you?

I'm the exact same way. Just wiping them out, I can still smell the FO pretty strong and the thoughts of mingled scents..ehh, especially because right now I only do tarts & small-ish batches. :tongue2: I don't think it makes things any harder for me, though.

LOL, no such thought here. ;)

After pouring, we throw our pour pots and anything else that is metal or glass into the "turkey roaster" that we keep in the shop. It melts as we are cleaning up the area, then we remove and wipe off with paper towels. Now, we USED to wipe off each votive mold, melt mold, etc. UNTIL we read here that alot of people didn't. Now, we just put them in the roaster or oven on a cookie sheet lined with paper towel, remove the molds and put them away. :smiley2:

After "peeking" into the work area of a candle shop in Arizona, I realized we spend way too much time cleaning up...everything in there had several different coatings of wax on their pillar molds. The shelves, work areas, etc were a mess, but their candles were beautiful!

We still wipe out our scent pourers with baby wipes, but who knows....maybe that will go by the wayside as we get busier and busier...lol